Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extrication Quiz

Here is a quiz i am giving to the department for our up coming training . . . see how you do.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. This quiz is designed for probies and first year firefighters in our volunteer only department.

Vehicle Extrication Quiz

1. _____________ is used to cut laminated safety glass?
    a. Reciprocating Saw b. Glass-Master
    c. Air-Chisel d. All of the Above

2.There can be up to ____________ air bags in a passenger vehicle.
    a. 2 b. 8
    c. 12 c. 18

3. True of False Ė A dash lift/roll can only be done from the side of the vehicle the patient is trapped.

4. Chock, block and __________ is used to stabilize a vehicle resting on all four wheels.
    a. crib b. secure
    c. blow d. stop

5. To determine when a vehicleís power is completely shut down, you turn on the ______.
    a. brake lights b. interior map lights
    b. 4-way flashers c. All of the Above

6. To avoid accident air bag deployment, you must first _____________.
    a. Peel away plastic b. cut the a pillar half way up
    c. donít cut the b pillar d. cut at the nadir pin

7. Remember to stay at least __________ inches away from passenger side air bag.
    a. 5 b. 10
    c. 20 d. 30

8. SRS stands for _______________.
    a. Supplemental Restraint System
    b. Sudden Release System
    c. Standard Retention System
    d. Sudden Restraint System

9. Which firefighter is not required to wear high visibility vests on federally funded highways?
    a. Those involved with the act of extrication
    b. Those directing traffic
    c. IC
    d. none of the above, our bunker gear is sufficient for high visibility

10. What can a thermal imaging camera tell us at a rescue scene?
    a. Who was in the car at the time of impact
    b. What seats were occupied at the time of impact
    c. What part of the inside of the car was impacted by the patient
    d. The vehicleís power has been disabled

11. A star on the passengerís side of the windshield tells us ______________
    a. the passenger was not wearing a seatbelt
    b. there was a heavy object in the vehicle that struck the windshield
    c. the passengerís side air bag deployed
    d. there was a passenger in the vehicle at the time of impact

12. A star on the driverís side of the windshield tell us _____________
    a. the driver was not wearing a seatbelt
    c. the driverís air bag deployed
    d. the driver was texting while driving

13. The most common type of vehicle construction is ______________
    a. space frame b. unibody
    c. body on frame d. die cast

14. The _____________ can be used to push and pull
    a. ram b. spreaders
    c. cutters d. high pressure air bags

15. The maximum number of high pressure air bags you can stack is _______.
    a. 1 b. 2
    c. 3 d. unlimited

16. Which is not a way to gain a purchase point?
    a. Vertical crush b. fender pinch
    c. Horizontal crush d. door pinch

17. Which is not a technique to gain access to a patient?
    a. Truck tunnel b. Floor tunnel
    c. Noahís Ark d. Trunk tunnel

18. Which of the following patients is most critical for the EMS to start working on?
    A. Black B. Yellow
    C. Green D. Red

19. True/False The seat back cannot be cut to increase room to extricate the patient.

20. True/False A hybrid will automatically shut down when the driver is removed from the car.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will post the answers in a few days, let you have a chance to answer, and debate the questions.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

# 6 I may be wrong, but it seems that you are talking about the possibility of cutting into a pressurezed cylinder, in which case the chief concern would be a flying projectile.

#14 both non telescopic rams and spreaders with that are designed to do so can pull and push.

I see debate over 6, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 20. Some of the questions are based on departmetn SOP's whcih may add to this debate as well (14 and 15). 17 has duplicate answers. 10 will depend on how soon you arrive after the incident as there could be multiple correct.

13 - Are you including matchbox? If so, it will change my answer.

20 - Did you mean all or one in particular?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ellwood1 View Post
    # 6 I may be wrong, but it seems that you are talking about the possibility of cutting into a pressurezed cylinder, in which case the chief concern would be a flying projectile.

#14 both non telescopic rams and spreaders with that are designed to do so can pull and push.
    #6 I am reffering to the pressurized cylinder

#14 In very few instances have we pulled the ram out of the truck, other than training, so I am refering to the spreaders, but thanks for helping clear that up. For our department, I will put a different tool instead of the ram.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    I see debate over 6, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 20. Some of the questions are based on departmetn SOP's whcih may add to this debate as well (14 and 15). 17 has duplicate answers. 10 will depend on how soon you arrive after the incident as there could be multiple correct.

13 - Are you including matchbox? If so, it will change my answer.

20 - Did you mean all or one in particular?
    #13 Or Hot Wheel, good you picked that up

#20 - Just in general, we have more than one model of hybred in our distric as well as the rest of you

#17 Look Closer (Truck, Trunk)

#10 We are a volunteer department with no staffing at the station, therefor the rescue will be on scene 5-15 minutes after the page (if that helps clarify for timeliness)

#9 This will always have debate, so we will use our department's SOPs

#14 Addressed in previous post

#15 We will use our SOP and Manufacture's Recomendations for our bags

# 6 Addressed in previous post
    Last edited by drerict; 03-03-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer #20

MembersZone Subscriber

I am the training officer of a similar department (about 40 firefighters), one thing to remember is the purpose of testing. It is to allow the class participants to demonstrate that they have learned the course material. As such questions should be made as clear as possible, choose your wording carefully, remember you want them to pass.

Some students may have outside knowledge perhaps even from this forum, so it is important to add according to department sop when appropriate.

Sometimes questions can have answers that are dependent on circumstances these should be avoided or circumstances should be listed. Your question 20 is one such case. No all hybrids will not shut down when the patient is removed. But some could if the patient has a key fob in his pocket and is move a great enough distance away. Of course one may ask why wasn't it turned off before the patient was removed?

When I write tests I always start with the objectives of the class/course and write questions that will determine if the student has achieved those objectives. And yes I write objectives for all my classes even if it on scratch paper, it helps keep the class focused and prioritize instruction because you rarely have all the time you want.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trashing anybody. I'm just trying to pass on things that have worked for me. (my wife is a teacher she has taught me a lot about education) Your test isn't bad it just needs some tweaking.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate you mentioning to start with the objectives and base the questions on them. The intent with this quiz is to be presented at the begging of the training, so they have something to do as we wait for members to trickle in.

The quiz will be an outline of sorts, so they can answer, or correct as the training continues.

I know you are not trashing me, and am thankful that you are bringing up topics for me to address before it is presented to the class (my purpose of posting it here). This is my first time training the department in extrication, and most of our members have had at most one or two in house trainings with extrication put on by our chief. And his were basic at most. Here is the tool, this is what it does, now lets go to the wrecking yard and cut up non-damaged cars. I believe that is good to get familiar with the tools, but more background on what and why is my intent with the class.

Please continue with advice, and I do have a thick skin, so fire away.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations on stepping into the training world, you will find there is no better way to really learn something than to have to teach it.

One thing I find in training people new to extrication is that it is all about the tools an breaking stuff, which is fine it is the "hook" to get them excited about training. But your job is to make them realize that extrication is a patient oriented skill. In other words you do what is needed to safely remove the patient from the vehicle no more no less.

Other things all new people try:
    - Ramming the spreader tips into the car, almost all new guys try this problem is it jostles the car without providing any real gain.

- Fighting the tool. When a spreader wants to move while your spreading leaning your body and push against it isn't going to stop it.

- Tunnel vision. The spread or cut isn't working they try over and over and over to make it work instead of trying a different method or going plan b. I usually let them keep working till they get it then ask them what else they could have done. Of course I've been guilty of this a time or two myself.

I was in your shoes several years ago I took it upon myself to go outside the department and get training. Shortly after I was made responsible for extrication training. After several years doing that I was made the departments training officer. While I don't get as much time as I would like studying extrication as I used to, it is still a great job(volunteer).

stay safe good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Building Blocks

If I may offer you a suggestion spend ample time educating folks in the anatomy of the vehicles prior to picking up a tool. A medical student doen't start the first day in operating room with a scapel in hand. A vehicle rescue technician is sorta like a "Car Doctor" and they need to understand the anatomy of the car before they begin to cut one apart. The more time spent with these folks educating them to the ins and outs of the vehicle anatomy will pay off down the road. The student needs to not only know how to complete a skill but needs a complete understanding of why they are utilizing that particular skill to accomplish the task at hand.

Vehicle rescue is not something that the folks can learn in a one evening company drill. Take your time and spread it out over multiple training sessions. For Basic Vehicle Rescue Technician training we utilize a 48 hour program broken down into 3 16 hour modules (Awareness, Opertions and Technician). We also recommend that they attend a refresher program at a minimum of every 2 years due to the changes in vehicles and extrication techniques.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Here are the Answers

These are the answers that I came up with, see if you agree:

Vehicle Extrication Quiz

1. _____________ is used to cut laminated safety glass?
    a. Reciprocating Saw b. Glass-Master
    c. Air-Chisel d. All of the Above

D

2.There can be up to ____________ air bags in a passenger vehicle.
    a. 2 b. 8
    c. 12 c. 18

C

3. True of False Ė A dash lift/roll can only be done from the side of the vehicle the patient is trapped.

False

4. Chock, block and __________ is used to stabilize a vehicle resting on all four wheels.
    a. crib b. secure
    c. blow d. stop

C

5. To determine when a vehicleís power is completely shut down, you turn on the ______.
    a. brake lights b. interior map lights
    c. 4-way flashers d. All of the Above

C

6. To avoid accident air bag deployment, you must first _____________.
    a. Peel away plastic b. cut the a pillar half way up
    c. donít cut the b pillar d. cut at the nadir pin

A

7. Remember to stay at least __________ inches away from passenger side air bag.
    a. 5 b. 10
    c. 20 d. 30

C

8. SRS stands for _______________.
    a. Supplemental Restraint System
    b. Sudden Release System
    c. Standard Retention System
    d. Sudden Restraint System

A

9. Which firefighter is not required to wear high visibility vests on federally funded highways?
    a. Those involved with the act of extrication
    b. Those directing traffic
    c. IC
    d. none of the above, our bunker gear is sufficient for high visibility

A

10. What can a thermal imaging camera tell us at a rescue scene?
    a. Who was in the car at the time of impact
    b. What seats were occupied at the time of impact
    c. What part of the inside of the car was impacted by the patient
    d. The vehicleís power has been disabled

B

11. A star on the passengerís side of the windshield tells us ______________
    a. the passenger was not wearing a seatbelt
    c. the passengerís side air bag deployed
    d. there was a passenger in the vehicle at the time of impact

C

12. A star on the driverís side of the windshield tell us _____________
    a. the driver was not wearing a seatbelt
    c. the driverís air bag deployed
    d. the driver was texting while driving

A

13. The most common type of vehicle construction is ______________
    a. space frame b. unibody
    c. body on frame d. die cast

B

14. The _____________ can be used to push and pull
    a. ram b. spreaders
    c. cutters d. high pressure air bags

B and A

15. The maximum number of high pressure air bags you can stack is _______.
    a. 1 b. 2
    c. 3 d. unlimited

B

16. Which is not a way to gain a purchase point?
    a. Vertical crush b. fender pinch
    c. Horizontal crush d. door pinch

C

17. Which is not a technique to gain access to a patient?
    a. Truck tunnel b. Floor tunnel
    c. Noahís Ark d. Trunk tunnel

A

18. Which of the following patients is most critical for the EMS to start working on?
    A. Black B. Yellow
    C. Green D. Red

D

19. True/False The seat back cannot be cut to increase room to extricate the patient.

False

20. True/False A hybrid will automatically shut down when the driver is removed from the car.

False

#9 Unless there is a threat of fire or hazmat, everyone must have one. A simple cut of the steering wheel extrication should have everyone in vests. Wording it the way you did may have some of your members thinking that they will not have to wear a vest if they can say that they are working "extrication". We have our SOP's set up so that unless there is flame / smoke, everyone wears one.

#11 If there was a softball in the back seat at the time of collision and the passengers side air bag was not activated (due to manual switch of detection mechanism) you could also see the star.

#15 This will depend on department SOP's

Thanks for posting this.

I didn't know about 2, 7 or 11, but now I do and it was good to review the other stuff too.

Since i'm posting anyways can someone go into detail on #2, naming off the possible 12? I could only come up with 8. Thx

Nice thread.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Thread Information