Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M.E.S.H. Test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Not sure how you can call it a waste. Hallandale, Deerfield, Pines, North Lauderale (friend of mine got hired there) Margate, and BSO. Have all either hired or are in the process of doing so.
    alot are doing shady hirings. opening for 1 day, and calling people before hand so they get in. pines called people based on who they know not scores, and hallandale calls 30 for 2 people. i was called for 2 of those departments, and i still think its not right.

Forum Member

Mesh is offered, but it is still up to the department to determine the way they want to hire people. Between 800-900 people took the test (the most ever) and 90% of those were fire/medics many with previous experience.

This is what I heard through friends, HR departments, and FF's already in the those departments. Some are rumors but may or may not be true, you know how it goes.

Hallandale called around the top 30 scores to turn in apps, and chose 5-6 to interview for 2 spots.

Deerfield contacted very few but those interviewed were female canidates to replace other female FFs.

Pines called only people who they knew through department family members or former riders and students of instructors that work for the department that they had built good relationships with.

North Lauderdale went straight to the top of the list for interviews around 12-15 people.

Margate was open for a very brief period and it was unannounced, and those who got calls back have some type of relationship with the department.

I know 8 guys that applied to BSO, 3 of which scored all in the 90's and 2 of those guys have FF experience. All of them got there thank you for application letter but you have no met our experience requirement.

The Mesh test results are good for a year but those involved with it may make the list valid for 2 years due to the massive pool of canidates. Again this is a rumor.

It may not be fair, but be patient and your times will come.
    Good luck to all of you in your quest for the greatest career in the world.

Forum Member

Fair or not fair it is what it is. I didn't get called for some of those departments that were hiring either and I scored 99,98,98 nothing I can do about it. The reality is sometimes knowing someone helps, sometimes it doesn't If you don't like it don't take it next year, but you never know when your number gets called. Keep your heads up, as good as I scored on the MESH nothing happened for me off it. I did get hired by 2 other departments and hey I have a job. But you gotta keep trying whether it's the MESH or somewhere else. One of the places I got hired I knew nobody, the other candidates did, but I still got hired and was #1 on the list. Sometimes it's who you know, sometimes it's luck, skill, how good you are. Handle the things you have control over and don't let the other things bring you down. I tried to get hired for 3 1/2 years or so. I've been hired 2 times and had a few calls off the MESH, it'll happen when it happens. I know some great guys who haven't gotten hired and some not so deserving one who have. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default bso

I did not recieve an email from BSO however my status changed on the employment profile. I am also from another agency and have been working for 8 years. You scored better than me i recieved a 100 on the practical 99 on fire and a 86 on the medic. As for the mesh and all the other testing whatever is meant to be will be I've tested a bunch in the last two years and even with BSO last year and did not get it so keep your head up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldinosaur View Post
    I did not recieve an email from BSO however my status changed on the employment profile. I am also from another agency and have been working for 8 years. You scored better than me i recieved a 100 on the practical 99 on fire and a 86 on the medic. As for the mesh and all the other testing whatever is meant to be will be I've tested a bunch in the last two years and even with BSO last year and did not get it so keep your head up.
    You said it right, what's meants to be will be. Keep your heads up guys it makes it that much sweeter when you have to struggle to get it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    You said it right, what's meants to be will be. Keep your heads up guys it makes it that much sweeter when you have to struggle to get it.
    I agree with this.
    I took the MESH with no intentions of getting a job off of it. In fact, the day I went to take it, I almost stayed home until my buddy called, said he would drive and buy lunch, because he didn't want to drive up to broward by himself. I ended up getting a job off of it and he did not (although he works somewhere else).

Being that I never thought I would get hired off the MESH (I didn't score at the top neither), I applied to over 30 departments all around the state.

If you really want this job, the hard work doesn't stop once you get out of medic school. In fact, the work just begins. Applications and driving around Florida were like a second job to me and that is a big reason why I am where I am today.

Good luck!

Forum Member

I'm still waiting for the results from Miami Beach, but about 2 weeks ago I was contacted by BSO based on the results of my MESH. I went in for an interview this week and as soon as I left they took me to H.R. and presented me with a conditional job offer (based on background, medical review, etc.)

Today I got a letter in the mail from Hollywood Fire Dept, as well.

Forum Member

I also received a conditional offer of employment from BSO, but I am wondering if they are giving that letter to everyone that interviewed, because I know other people who interviewed who also received the letter. Does anyone know about others who interviewd, that did not receive the letter?

Forum Member

May I ask what your scores were and how old you are? Any past experience? Just trying to paint a picture of what there looking for. I feel to a certain extent that being a firefighter/paramedic at 21 is almost too young. I know of young guys in departments it's just not as common. I almost feel as if I have to do my time and get experience before I will even be looked at because my age.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachpolo View Post
    Today I got a letter in the mail from Hollywood Fire Dept, as well.
    My suggestion is to not look too much into Hollywood. I know its a job and a foot in the door, but those guys are going through so much BS right now

Take BSO, Hollywood is already in talks to go over to BSO.
    Its a shame what that city is doing to one of the best departments in South Florida
    Last edited by Deluge059; 08-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Forum Member

Default I'd take it :)

I'd take it

$31k is a little low though isn't it? S FL depts seem to usually pay pretty well.

Forum Member

Just curious if those of you that got contacted/offers from BSO feel comfortable about telling us your scores including PAT time, for the reason that people in this forum and 2 buddies of mine scored very high, have FF experience, clean records, etc. and got turned down by BSO.

Is it possible that they do a lottery selection like Miami-Dade because there are so many applications? Or is it one of those "shady hirings" that people talk about?

Any guesses or insight? Just trying to figure out what the department is looking for so I can take the MESH and apply next year.

Forum Member

BSO has to be doing a lottery. A friend of mine just became a medic, and has only a couple months exp in a hospital setting and he was called for an interview. His mesh was low 90s and a 79 on fire. Around a 4 minute something on his PAT. He has no connections and had no clue why he got called for interview, but good for him.

Forum Member

Did your friend get a job offer?

Forum Member

I got a 100 on my practical, 88 on fire,82 on my medic. I volunteer for a fire department in the keys,work in the ER and have been working as a medic for 2 years for a ambulance company.

Forum Member

I don't know anybody, I had no connections and I thought it was based on scores, I scored fairly high. I got 97 on my fire, 98 on my paramedic scenario, and my lowest score was an 88 on my paramedic. My p.a.t. time was 3:37. I have no current firefighter or paramedic experience, I also have no record, no driving tickets, etc.

I too know that all the individuals whom have been invited to interview so far and passed the interview were extended a conditional job offer, I don't know if that will go for all 100 interviewed candidates or only until they reach their quota which I do believe to be 40, they mentioned two classes of 20 to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG084 View Post
    Did your friend get a job offer?
    yeah he got the conditional offer. i think next step is poly/psych for them? and background/medical/etc

Forum Member

I don't think bso uses the poly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0828 View Post
    BSO has to be doing a lottery. A friend of mine just became a medic, and has only a couple months exp in a hospital setting and he was called for an interview. His mesh was low 90s and a 79 on fire. Around a 4 minute something on his PAT. He has no connections and had no clue why he got called for interview, but good for him.

BSO must be lottery. I knoq quite a few people who scored better than the scores listed and didn't hear anything back. I know someone in particular who scored better but was denied and told they didn't have enough experience. Kind of crappy cause they got hired somewhere else after they applied to BSO but didn't let them update their stuff. So they turned down someone with awesome scores and experience. Congrats to all who got hired. Cool feeling huh?

Forum Member

I'll be excited when and if they size me for uniforms.

Thread Information