Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Squad: An engine set up with extra specialized equipment. It may be truck equipment, haz-mat, extrication, water rescue, etc. Or a combination of any or all of those.

Flying manpower squad: Main job is to supplement staffing at an emergency scene. The vehicle assigned may vary.

Rescue squad: BLS or ALS conveyance vehicle, an ambulance.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Squad here means brush/wildland truck. For our department that means our F-550 4x4.

MembersZone Subscriber

In western Arkansas squads are EMS rigs.

There is a very good article on what FDNY considers a squad company and what its functions are in issue 2 or 3 of Urban Firefighter Magazine. Worth taking a look at.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I believe down here a squad is basically a patrol, with standard engine equipment, rescue/ems, and it is a reserve unit. Meaning that when an engine is out on a run, the squad will backfill the station and take the next call. They also can respond as extra manpower. But again, thats from what I understand, the response area for our department is large, and the few squads are faraway.

Forum Member

What I think of as a squad is either a Johnny and Roy style light rescue/ utility, or a manpower vehicle.

Dept's can call the rig whatever they want, subject to local regulations or standards, but those are my impressions. That seems to be the general impression in my neck of the woods as well.

What FDNY calls a squad, I'd call a rescue engine. The term rescue squad used to mean an ambulance... I just call them ambulances! Many volunteer/ combi ambulance depts refer to their DEPT as a rescue squad around here, but they still call their rigs ambulances.

A rescue is an equipment truck set up for rescues and scene support and manpower around here. So, referring to an ambulance as a rescue would confuse people on the radio. They're thinking toolbox on wheels with a large crew- you're thinking ambulance.

IMO, this is a lot like the tanker/tender issue. Depends where you're from!

Forum Member

Default A squad is what

Historically in this area a Squad was a unit capable of carrying more firefighters than other units, generally 8-10 firefighters, with extrication/rescue equipment. For my area the type of truck most commonly used was a commercial chassis with a walk in rescue body. In the area now seeing some movement to rescue engines being called a squad or switching to walk around rescues on custom chassis. But the accepted definition by most is a unit with more manpower than standard engine or truck company, with specialized rescue capability or other special equipment i.e. cascade system, lighting etc.

Forum Member

Here in DelCo, PA a squad is an engine with rescue tools/equipment. We carry hydraulic rescue tools and the accompanying vehicle rescue equipment, plus some water rescue equipment and rope. The engine itself is a 2250 gpm, with 1000 gal water, 30 gal of A and 60 gal of B foam. If you can't tell it's my favorite engine lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here in GA, you have a few definitions of "squad."

In City of Atlanta, Squad 4 is their heavy rescue.
    In Dekalb County, Heavy Rescue 24 is the heavy rescue, and Squads have been several things over the years, such as:

-two-person manpower units primarily for critical medical calls that need additional ALS resources and/or an EMS captain.
    -two-person manpower units with light extrication abilities and what's listed above.
    -two-person manpower units with technical rescue abilities, IF all the squads in the county assembled on a technical rescue call. Each had a piece of the puzzle in their unit, and one technical rescue personnel, hopefully.
    -four person manpower unit carrying some of the equipment from either Heavy Rescue or Hazmat units to save wear and tear on the larger apparatus.
    -one-person EMS supervisor that self-dispatches to EMS calls to provide medical supervision.

How's that for squad definitions?

If you get to north GA near Tennessee, you'll likely heard squad used to mean "rescue squad," which means an ambulance.

I do have to say this, this has been an interesting read as to what others define as a "Squad" in their area.

It seems to be that there is no general consensus on what a Squad, really is.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information