Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default YOUR Definition Of A Squad

There have been SO many different squads for different departments so I wanted to know how YOU used it. I am not sure about my dept because we are so large and there are so few and they are on the other side of the county. But I know some examples.

LACoFD: Medical unit

LAFD: Hazmat

FDNY: Engine/Truck/Rescue/Hazmat

Southeastern Pa: a Squad company is (usually) an "enhanced" engine company, having extra capabilities beyond that of an ordinary Engine Company- usually carries additional truck company/rescue company tools such as saws, jaws, some technical rescue equipment, and maybe extra ground ladders.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Around here we are generally talking a mini-pumper, usually with some rescue tools.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

That's interesting, what you have just explained a bit of a rescue engine (or "truck engine" like some call it down here) but its interesting that it carries extra ground ladders, wouldn't that be the duty of a ladder truck (most likely "tiller" or quint)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
    wouldn't that be the duty of a ladder truck (most likely "tiller" or quint)
    Yes, however when you are faced with daytime manpower shortages as we are, combined with long driveways made inaccessible by hose lays and/or apparatus, it's nice to have extra ground ladders close to the fire building or on the first-out piece.

Default What's in a name more like what's in the vehicle.

I have heard a squad referred to many different vehicles, not limited to the following:

1 A Heavy Rescue like the 5 in FDNY
    2 An ambulance usually referring to a Type I or Type III
    3 An Engine with rescue tool capabilities here in Broome Cty NY for NIMS renumbering.
    4 A light rescue like a Johnny and Roy style used as a RIT
    5 A SUV carrying manpower only

I think it depends on the location you are in.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

Around here a squad is for heavy rescue. it generally carries extrication tools, rope rescue equipment, and various other rescue items. The county standard also requires it to have a cascade system, and it may or may not have a pump.

Squad crews also do truck work on the fire-ground. They have a minimal compliment of ladders.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Southeastern Pa: a Squad company is (usually) an "enhanced" engine company, having extra capabilities beyond that of an ordinary Engine Company- usually carries additional truck company/rescue company tools such as saws, jaws, some technical rescue equipment, and maybe extra ground ladders.
    This.......................... .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Not a term you will hear in this part of the state.

I know New Orleans has a "Flying Squad" which, as it was described to me by them, is a manpower unit with heavy and technical rescue capabilities.

In my travels a squad has been everything from a pickup with no equipment at all, to a Suburban with airpacks and a few tools, to a mini-pumper, to a light rescue, to a air-light unit, to an engine with extrication tools, to a truck company.

So basically, it can be just about anything a region or department wants it to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Around here a squad is for heavy rescue. it generally carries extrication tools, rope rescue equipment, and various other rescue items. The county standard also requires it to have a cascade system, and it may or may not have a pump.

Squad crews also do truck work on the fire-ground. They have a minimal compliment of ladders.
    This........

We don't have anything that is called a "squad". If it is said, it is in reference to a Med Unit (ambulance).

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Around here a squad is a small or large style body ranging from a pickup to a medium rescue (without the tools) and is used for manpower, traffic control, spills, cascade, etc.

We do not use the term squad in our department. We do have one department here that refers to their ambulance as a squad so that they can skirt the state law that says an ambulance cannot exceed the posted speed limit or go through red lights.

My understanding is that a squad is a unit capable of some medical and light rescue duties, but is not patient transportable.

But then again, isn't a cop car called a squad car?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    We do not use the term squad in our department. We do have one department here that refers to their ambulance as a squad so that they can skirt the state law that says an ambulance cannot exceed the posted speed limit or go through red lights.
    Good luck with that! I'd say they're damn fools if they think that'll actually save them in court.

Our squad is very similar to what FWD noted, minus any extra ladders.

Around my area, referring to the "Squad" means your talking about your local EMS agency...as in First Aid Squad.

My Department, however, has a Squad Assignment in the case an engine or truck is not on scene and the other is. Meaning, if the engine is arriving and there is no truck on scene, the engine may be reassigned as Squad 1. They will then split the crew and half do engine 1 work, half do truck 1 work. Same can happen if truck on scene but no engine. Yes, our TL has a pump, tank, and hoses.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Around here a Squad is a heavy rescue. But a Life Squad, is an ALS unit (medic unit).
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

wildfire world squad = a 5 or 6 man hand crew who may arrive in a transporter truck known a "crummy".
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool San Bernardino County Squad

Locally a Squad looks similar to this..... This would actually be called a Patrol because it has a pump (you can tell by the hose rollers on top) but hopefully you get the idea.

Squads around here are disappearing and being replaced with Patrols since they are more versatile.

Normally they are set-up with a Light or Medium Rescue Equipment Compliment.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 03-17-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

-A Heavy Rescue Company, and a Squad Company.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

A Squad Company here is an enhanced engine company. As stated before, It has some truck company capabilities and tools, jaws, saws, HP air bags and some rope rescue equipment. Their primary function is as an engine.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Thread Information