Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for an Online Master's Degree...?

I'm looking to get a master's degree in something related to the Fire Science field via taking online classes. I've done some research and found a few universities that offer these types of degrees. I'm just not sure exactly what degree I should go for or what university is the best.... Example being, CSU (Columbia Southern University) offers a Master's of Science Emergency Services Management. It's relatively cheap compared to other schools but I'm not to sure if this is the right degree to choose or if this University is a good university (accreditation wise). Does anyone else know of any other programs or schools out there? If so, tell me about your experience. Thanks.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers a Masters in Science in Fire Protetion Engineering available all online. You'd need either a Bachelors in Engineering or Fire Science Technology and some additional undergrad prerequisties.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I know a few people that use these and heard no complaints

http://online.gcu.edu/

Not sure if they have a master , give them a call::

http://www.wtamu.edu/academics/emerg...n-program.aspx

Forum Member

I just finished mine in Public Administration at California State University Long Beach. It was mostly online but you did have to show up the first and last day of class. It was a great program that really taught about writing and analyzing policy. It was very job related. I highly recommend it.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Im located in Milwaukee, WI. So attending classes across the country wouldn't work for me. I'm looking for an all online program. Does anyone know anything about accrediation? Does it even matter with something like a Master's Degree? Eventually, I'd like to go for a PhD. but that would be years away... CSU is the most reasonable pricing per credit that I have found so far. I looked at Grand Canyon U, but there cost per credit seems pretty steep in comparision to CSU, which also offers free textbooks... Any thoughts from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mfdsimon View Post
    Im located in Milwaukee, WI. So attending classes across the country wouldn't work for me. I'm looking for an all online program. Does anyone know anything about accrediation? Does it even matter with something like a Master's Degree? Eventually, I'd like to go for a PhD. but that would be years away... CSU is the most reasonable pricing per credit that I have found so far. I looked at Grand Canyon U, but there cost per credit seems pretty steep in comparision to CSU, which also offers free textbooks... Any thoughts from anyone?
    Any course you would take on line will require you to go to that school several times during the course.

Any education is worth the cost to get that sheep skin.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Any course you would take on line will require you to go to that school several times during the course.

Any education is worth the cost to get that sheep skin.
    After looking at CSU, WKU, or even UMUC... None of those Universities require your presence at any time. All three of these are strictly Distance Learning/Online Learning programs....

Forum Member

2 people from my department have used CSU and I am 99% sure that they did not have to be present for any part of their courses.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

If I recall right Oklahoma State offers a Master's in Fire and Emergency Services Administration.

Thread Information