Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    John 15:13

Bottom line is that I don't think 1 year is enough time since the incident for any department. If this career is something you really want to do then I would strongly recommend that you continue in your education and community service... build your resume.

In 5 - 10 years down the line you can chalk it up to a dumb ***** thing you said when you were a kid after a night of drinking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Oh well that changes everything then. I was clearly not your fault. You were just stuck with the short end of the stick. Your drinking problems are/were due solely to your "young" age and the fact that you had a crappy marriage. Thanks for explaining the incident with the police. I'm sure that they just happen to show up at your house to harass you for no reason at all. And to top it off they just trumped up false charges on you to help pass the time. Buddy I'll tell you one thing with all the bad luck that you already had in your short life, you might want to think about going into safer line of work than firefighting.
    I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.. And the reason why they came to my house in the first place is because they thought that I had been driving drunk when I had walked up to the gas station with my girlfriend and wanted to buy more liquor, I left my licence there like a dumbass(I back a gasstation so it's walkable distance). Then when we got back to my house we got a knock on our door from two out of uniform cops(we didn't know they were cops yet) and I started saying get the f*ck off my property before I call the police or take matters in my own hands. That's when they came into my house and slammed me on the ground and stated that they were cops and they were arresting me. Since one of the police officers just pulled me over for a headlight being out the day or two earlier, he knew that I had a CCW, so they asked me where it was(when I drank I always put it on the top of the fridge).

My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkajun06 View Post
    My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.
    It will still be there, you are gonna need to be patient and not give up if you really want this.

I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.
    Yea, what's your point? "But I've always wanted to be a firefighter" does not magically negate all the **** poor deicisions you've made in the very recent past of your life. And no, your lawyer is not having it removed from your record unless he plans to place you in a time machine and go back a few years.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I hear there's a new firehouse starting up in Trenton, NJ......

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I hear there's a new firehouse starting up in Trenton, NJ......

Capt. OT just told me he got booted, so he needs a friend. bkajun06 you should look him up.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Yea, what's your point? "But I've always wanted to be a firefighter" does not magically negate all the **** poor deicisions you've made in the very recent past of your life. And no, your lawyer is not having it removed from your record unless he plans to place you in a time machine and go back a few years.
    Lol, it comes off my record in August.. the judge told me so and my lawyer. I wouldn't recommend telling people legal **** when you aren't even educated in that area.

And I was replying to that other guy, not you kthanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFarrier View Post
    It will still be there, you are gonna need to be patient and not give up if you really want this.
    Will do, thanks.

Lol, it comes off my record in August.. the judge told me so and my lawyer. I wouldn't recommend telling people legal **** when you aren't even educated in that area.

And I was replying to that other guy, not you kthanks.
    That's nice. When the application, interviewer, or polygraph operator asks you "Have you ever been arrested for ______", the answer for you is still and always will be yes. Then, the inevitable following question is "Please explain". So unless you intend to lie on you application, lie to the interviewers, and lie to the background investigators....

And I'm more educated in that area than you will ever know btw.

At some point you will make a mistake and show your true self to the hiring department... maybe during interviews, maybe backgrounds, maybe polygraph, maybe on probation.

Just look at this chain... from "help me" to "**** you".

It's not about the mistakes you make, it's how you respond. Maturity is huge in this business.

It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't come back to the forum. Typically, people like him will only stick around in places where everyone agrees with him and says what he wants to hear. Though if he does come back, I don't expect anything different than what he's already blabbed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by egrus21 View Post
    Just look at this chain... from "help me" to "**** you"..
    When did I say "**** you?" I asked my question and got replies.. I understand that right now I can't get in - but some of y'all said that maybe down the road I can if I basically show myself to be a good citizen and have overcome how I was when I was 21, which is what I'm hoping for. I wasn't going to come back on here, but it keeps emailing me, so I just check up to see what y'all have posted. I don't know why you're saying "Show your TRUE SELF," like you know me or insinuating on what/how I am in real life. I know I made a mistake and I know I can't go back and undo it, if I could, I would have not stuck around with my ex trying to pull her out of her bad situation at home and I wouldn't have gotten hooked on drinking for a year. I came on here to see about getting into a career that I have always wanted to do and I just asked a question.. To me, you're already judging me because of my past and you come off as arrogant people right off the bat.

Plus, I tell every job that I go to about that incident, sure some people won't hire me until my probation is up, but as of now, I have a really good paying job right now for being 23 and in college. I'd take the pay drop any day to become a firefighter.

If you're going to reply back, don't hit the quote so it won't email me. Some of you are worse than the old people giving me bad stares at the park when I take my kids there JUST because I had my kids and got married at 18 years old. I'm an adult too, you know.

To me, you're already judging me because of my past and you come off as arrogant people right off the bat.
    Well, if you don't want people to judge you, why did you ask if you would still get hired? Answering your question requires judging you. And guess what they do in the hiring process.... that's right... They judge you.

If you're going to reply back, don't hit the quote so it won't email me.
    It sends you and email when anyone replies, nothing to do with quoting. So if you don't want people to reply, why did you ask the question? If you already know the answer you want, and any other answer is unacceptable, don't bother wasting everyone's time asking.

Forum Member

These jobs are hard to come by. I have a bachelors degree, a medic cert, and fire certs coming out the wazoo but it took me quite a while to get a job. My advice to you is look at getting a job in the fire service as a hobby. Understand that with your background you may not ever be able to get a job as a FF. Definitely not for the next 5 years anyway.

If you still want to try, do all the things the other posters have listed above (consider going to school to get your medic or A.S. Fire science) but know that you should have some other intermediate goal. Whether it be gaining experience as a busy city street medic, flight medic, or RN. This way you can gain experience, distance yourself from your past, and pursue a similar career path where getting a job as a FF is not the end game, but one of a number of acceptable outcomes for yourself.

Once upon a time, there was a Fire Chief. He was hiring one firefighter to replace a gentleman who retired.

His City's Personnel Office did their jobs: They advertised the position with minimal credentials and qualifications listed, offered the application procedures and documents to be submitted, developed and administrated the written and physical agility portions of the selection process, the psych and the lie detector testing, and finally after months of red tape, gave the Chief 277 potential candidates. For one position.

The good fire chief set to reading the candidates results very carefully. There were many, many outstanding candidates- ones who never had any kind of felony arrest, ever.....These same candidates also had no- zero questionable results on the psych or lie detector evaluation.......They presented themselves in extraordinary professional appearance.

Then there was one guy. His Lie Detector results were less than favorable- In the Proctor's opinion, he appeared to be hiding something when asked certain questions pertaining to past criminal history. He also had questionable results when speaking of drug and/or alcohol use. The Good Fire Chief threw this application package into the round filing cabinet.

Then there was another guy. This one answered all his lie detector test questions honestly- that he had been arrested previously for felony and misdemeanor charges...As recently as a year ago.....He also answered honestly that he used drugs regularly up to and including one year ago.......The Good Fire Chief threw this application package into the round filing cabinet.

He did the same thing with 57 more application packages, and yet, he still had a huge problem on his hands......Enormous.....A problem that caused him many sleepless nights.....The problem?

-He still had to decide (among the 218 application packages of guys with excellent backgrounds) who to hire.

The End.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

When did I say "**** you?" I asked my question and got replies.. I understand that right now I can't get in - but some of y'all said that maybe down the road I can if I basically show myself to be a good citizen and have overcome how I was when I was 21, which is what I'm hoping for. I wasn't going to come back on here, but it keeps emailing me, so I just check up to see what y'all have posted. I don't know why you're saying "Show your TRUE SELF," like you know me or insinuating on what/how I am in real life. I know I made a mistake and I know I can't go back and undo it, if I could, I would have not stuck around with my ex trying to pull her out of her bad situation at home and I wouldn't have gotten hooked on drinking for a year. I came on here to see about getting into a career that I have always wanted to do and I just asked a question.. To me, you're already judging me because of my past and you come off as arrogant people right off the bat.

Plus, I tell every job that I go to about that incident, sure some people won't hire me until my probation is up, but as of now, I have a really good paying job right now for being 23 and in college. I'd take the pay drop any day to become a firefighter.

If you're going to reply back, don't hit the quote so it won't email me. Some of you are worse than the old people giving me bad stares at the park when I take my kids there JUST because I had my kids and got married at 18 years old. I'm an adult too, you know.
    That is fair, you are right I don't know you. All I'm saying is that the nice guy looking for guidance in post number one has turned into a guy with an attitude that will never get him hired 30 posts later. If you can't weather a little roughing up from the firehouse forums you won't fair well when people really start getting in your business.

Your hiring department will judge you far worse than anyone on these forums will. I'd get more comfortable with that and swallow your pride a bit.

Did you just say you have kids? ...and you're getting hammered making threats to cops at your house? What then?!?!

Oh that's right... you and your attorney have it all figured out. My bad.

On a serious note: Take the honest advise I gave a few posts back. Getting your **** together and sticking with it for an extended amount of time is your only chance this lifetime.
    Last edited by egrus21; 04-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Member

While getting a medic license could possibly help (depends, background is background whether you're just an academy grad or the Queen of England), even THAT could prove difficult with a violent crime on your record (and yes, it WILL be on your record in one form or another, despite what your lawyer tells you). Background checks are done for paramedic licenses. When I was in medic school, we had one individual with a "public disturbance: public fight" charge expunged from his record and he STILL had to go before the CA EMS board and plead his case. He was granted a CA medic license, but not an ambulance operators tag for his drivers license. Pretty hard to work as a medic without both.

Long story short, he's working in real estate now.
    Last edited by Mac_Dub; 04-21-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Executive summary: Yes - this will "haunt" you for a long, long, long time with regards to getting hired by a fire department. There is a strong chance it will prevent you from working for a fire department ever. Why? The department is opening themselves up to legal action if you have another incident after you've been employed. All it will take is for someone to "open records request" your background and then the department will have alot a explaining to do regarding why they hired someone with a history of alcohol abuse and violence.

Don't let that, however, prevent you from trying. Continue to maintain a "clean act", maintain employment, and be 100% honest in any employment process you participate in.

Remember, nothing is ever 100% erased, removed, or expunged from your record, regardless if it is a criminal charge or a traffic violation.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Once upon a time, there was a Fire Chief. He was hiring one firefighter to replace a gentleman who retired.

His City's Personnel Office did their jobs: They advertised the position with minimal credentials and qualifications listed, offered the application procedures and documents to be submitted, developed and administrated the written and physical agility portions of the selection process, the psych and the lie detector testing, and finally after months of red tape, gave the Chief 277 potential candidates. For one position.

The good fire chief set to reading the candidates results very carefully. There were many, many outstanding candidates- ones who never had any kind of felony arrest, ever.....These same candidates also had no- zero questionable results on the psych or lie detector evaluation.......They presented themselves in extraordinary professional appearance.

Then there was one guy. His Lie Detector results were less than favorable- In the Proctor's opinion, he appeared to be hiding something when asked certain questions pertaining to past criminal history. He also had questionable results when speaking of drug and/or alcohol use. The Good Fire Chief threw this application package into the round filing cabinet.

Then there was another guy. This one answered all his lie detector test questions honestly- that he had been arrested previously for felony and misdemeanor charges...As recently as a year ago.....He also answered honestly that he used drugs regularly up to and including one year ago.......The Good Fire Chief threw this application package into the round filing cabinet.

He did the same thing with 57 more application packages, and yet, he still had a huge problem on his hands......Enormous.....A problem that caused him many sleepless nights.....The problem?

-He still had to decide (among the 218 application packages of guys with excellent backgrounds) who to hire.

The End.
    This sums it up perfectly,nicely done.

The field is so competitive that it is easy to pass on someone with any blemish, no matter how distant or small, because there are hundreds of other candidates with no blemishes.

Thread Information