Forum Member

Lightbulb Can I still become a firefighter?

Back in January of 2010 when I still had my drinking problem I got charged with Assault on Law Enforcement(Class C Misdemeanor) and Resisting Arrest while I was drunk at my house. That was the last day I've drank alcohol and have been sober ever since. With that being said, I'm wondering if I can still become a firefighter - after my probation lifts in August of this year.

I live in Saint Charles, MO, so if any MO firefighters can answer, thanks a lot.

Serious question, so serious answers only please.

Forum Member

I am not from around you but I will tell you that I think that anything is possible. The best thing you can do is own up to your past mistakes and stress that you have learned from them and are striving to be better. There are many cantidates that will not have your history...so it will not be easy, but it may be possible. Good Luck

Forum Member

Thanks, I'll still go and apply I guess and see where it goes.

Forum Member

Just like Gburg said, anything is possible but unfortunately in your case, not very likely. Most departments, from the little that I know, try to stay away from candidates who have had substance abuse problems in the past. There is no way for them to tell if you are going to fall back into your old habits. You also have a criminal record now and I would be surprised if any department would want to take a chance with a background such as yours. It never hurts to apply. Just do what you can to turn your life around and wish for the best. Good luck and I hope all goes well!

Forum Member

1. It is a class C. So that should not be an automatic

2. The problem you assualted a police officer, not looked on to well

Maybe start doing charity work, or something related to a police dept to show that you are trying to make amends

Forum Member

Not in my neck of the woods. The problem is I suspect your background check will show a history of excessive drinking culminated by this event. Kudos for you for quitting drinking, but it may be too little too late.

Each department has a different standard when it comes to background investigations. It's up to the individual fire chief to make the determination. As I mentioned above, I cannot see any chief wanting to take a chance on someone with that on their record. This could have been really complicated for a fire chief if you were already hired on the fire department.

The one thing that may help you is time. The more time that elapses between this incident and the time you are sitting in front of a background investigator the better. One year is nowhere near enough time.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Why would we hire you?

Assault is assault be it against a law enforcement officer, your wife, boy friend or anyone.

You are very lucky the LEO didn't beat the dogpoop out of you!

You cut your throat as far as getting a pubic safety job!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I used to live in the St.Louis area and I can tell you the assault probably isn't your biggest obstacle to getting a fire job in the area, both St. Charles and pretty much all the districts in St. Louis County (i.e. Afton, Brentwood, Clayton, Ladue, etc.) require paramedic certification to apply to their positions. Not trying to be negative but just giving you a heads up if you are looking for a job in that area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtlp66 View Post
    I used to live in the St.Louis area and I can tell you the assault probably isn't your biggest obstacle to getting a fire job in the area, both St. Charles and pretty much all the districts in St. Louis County (i.e. Afton, Brentwood, Clayton, Ladue, etc.) require paramedic certification to apply to their positions. Not trying to be negative but just giving you a heads up if you are looking for a job in that area.
    Im from the same area and he is 100% true. Some will put you through the academy but need a medic license although most want you to already ave both. That's my problem I have the academy but no medic license which I am starting in may. I would make sure your background doesn't keep you from getting a medic license. By the time you get that it will probably show them you have put your drinking problem in the past and just explain to them what happened and what you have done to make you live better and towards more positive goals.

Forum Member

For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, medical condition, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face at the next step in the hiring process.

There are experts in the hiring process, who have heard everything, who are being paid to take you out. If the agency gives a psych the doc will ask you some difficult question that would probably DQ you.

Too often I receive calls from candidates who ask, What do I do now after they have spend time, money, education and put their lives on hold for years only to be taken out at one of the hiring stations. Sad. Had they prepared they would have been educated to understand the process and not step on the land mines.

Too often people will not give a candidate the information they really need. There are serious land mines ahead of every candidate. Some more than others. I try to shoot straight saving them time, money, and wasted opportunities.

I get similar calls from candidates who have a clouded past who also feel if they pack on all kinds of education, experience and becoming a medic.
    Im truly saddened when I tell them what their chances are of getting hired as I did this candidate.

What do you think most say?

Well, Im going on anyway. How many do you think get back to me that they were hired?

None!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, medical condition, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face at the next step in the hiring process.

There are experts in the hiring process, who have heard everything, who are being paid to take you out. If the agency gives a psych the doc will ask you some difficult question that would probably DQ you.

Too often I receive calls from candidates who ask, What do I do now after they have spend time, money, education and put their lives on hold for years only to be taken out at one of the hiring stations. Sad. Had they prepared they would have been educated to understand the process and not step on the land mines.

Too often people will not give a candidate the information they really need. There are serious land mines ahead of every candidate. Some more than others. I try to shoot straight saving them time, money, and wasted opportunities.

I get similar calls from candidates who have a clouded past who also feel if they pack on all kinds of education, experience and becoming a medic.
    Im truly saddened when I tell them what their chances are of getting hired as I did this candidate.

Well, Im going on anyway. How many do you think get back to me that they were hired?

None!
    I was speaking about my specific area and no other where I live you have to be a medic with the few exceptions to get a job in the St Louis area. So to say you don't need to get medic in my area is false because you will not get hired if you don't have medic. Also getting the academy which is another kind of education that you need to work in my area yeah select few will send you through the academy but the majority want you to have it before you get hired. So for my area neither one of these step are a waste of time or money. They are a must! Especially if you want a fighting chance of getting a job.

Forum Member

you could always try jersey, you'd fit right in.

Forum Member

I've seen a guy get a job after pleading nolo to involuntary manslaughter, so I can't say you don't have a shot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    i've seen a guy get a job after pleading nolo to involuntary manslaughter, so i can't say you don't have a shot.
    wowzers!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post

None!
    Bob,

FYI - You told me I probably wouldn't get hired, on multiple occasions. I got offered from multiple departments, and work for a very good department with nothing to hide.

For the original poster: I'm usually the first person on here to root for the underdogs...but in your case you might have some trouble. Time, a lot of time of keeping your nose clean will help your chances. This is all provided you're an exceptionally good guy in spite of your past transgressions, and not a bag of hammers. I would say California is probably out for you though.

Forum Member

"Time heals all wounds" is pretty true here too.
    In maybe 5 years you would have a chance, I would think.
    Spend that 5 years getting your medic cert, or a 4 year degree in fire science, and volunteering as well.
    Volunteer to work with a victim's right's group, or children of alcoholics, or something like that.
    Teach classes on alcoholism to high school kids.

Do whatever you can to distance yourself from the event, prove you are a better man now, and the event will never repeat itslef.

Sadly, a history of alcoholism is tough to get around, since firefighting is viewed as a "high stress" environment, and the risk of relapsing is pretty high.

So it will take alot of time, a ton of hard work, and even then it's questionable.

But if you want it bad enough, try.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    Not in my neck of the woods. The problem is I suspect your background check will show a history of excessive drinking culminated by this event. Kudos for you for quitting drinking, but it may be too little too late.
    My record is clean other than the Assault.. I always drank at my house so I wouldn't have to drive.... I knew what to do when I was drinking and the first thing I would do is give my keys to my roommate..

The only reason why I started to drink when I turned 21 was because I kicked my cheating wife out my house.. And even still, I took it real bad. But I'm fine now, learned my lesson.

And by the way.. Nowhere in my police report does it say I hit the officers - unless verbal is assault, I didn't assault nobody and the police know that..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bkajun06 View Post
    My record is clean other than the Assault.. I always drank at my house so I wouldn't have to drive.... I knew what to do when I was drinking and the first thing I would do is give my keys to my roommate..

The only reason why I started to drink when I turned 21 was because I kicked my cheating wife out my house.. And even still, I took it real bad. But I'm fine now, learned my lesson.

And by the way.. Nowhere in my police report does it say I hit the officers - unless verbal is assault, I didn't assault nobody and the police know that..
    Oh well that changes everything then. I was clearly not your fault. You were just stuck with the short end of the stick. Your drinking problems are/were due solely to your "young" age and the fact that you had a crappy marriage. Thanks for explaining the incident with the police. I'm sure that they just happen to show up at your house to harass you for no reason at all. And to top it off they just trumped up false charges on you to help pass the time. Buddy I'll tell you one thing with all the bad luck that you already had in your short life, you might want to think about going into safer line of work than firefighting.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

Guys if you get hurt, well help you. If you get sick well treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Would've been "battery" if you actually hit them. Assault **usually** means threats of violence and intimidation. Around here, saying something like, "You dumb pig, I'm about to whoop your *****" to a police officer is enough for assault, especially if you have a weapon or even have your fists clinched and ready to swing...
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

If it comes down to you and one other person, both equally qualified, and the other person never got arrested, who do you think they'll pick.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

John 15:13

Bottom line is that I don't think 1 year is enough time since the incident for any department. If this career is something you really want to do then I would strongly recommend that you continue in your education and community service... build your resume.

In 5 - 10 years down the line you can chalk it up to a dumb ***** thing you said when you were a kid after a night of drinking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Oh well that changes everything then. I was clearly not your fault. You were just stuck with the short end of the stick. Your drinking problems are/were due solely to your "young" age and the fact that you had a crappy marriage. Thanks for explaining the incident with the police. I'm sure that they just happen to show up at your house to harass you for no reason at all. And to top it off they just trumped up false charges on you to help pass the time. Buddy I'll tell you one thing with all the bad luck that you already had in your short life, you might want to think about going into safer line of work than firefighting.
    I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.. And the reason why they came to my house in the first place is because they thought that I had been driving drunk when I had walked up to the gas station with my girlfriend and wanted to buy more liquor, I left my licence there like a dumbass(I back a gasstation so it's walkable distance). Then when we got back to my house we got a knock on our door from two out of uniform cops(we didn't know they were cops yet) and I started saying get the f*ck off my property before I call the police or take matters in my own hands. That's when they came into my house and slammed me on the ground and stated that they were cops and they were arresting me. Since one of the police officers just pulled me over for a headlight being out the day or two earlier, he knew that I had a CCW, so they asked me where it was(when I drank I always put it on the top of the fridge).

My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.

Forum Member

My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.
    It will still be there, you are gonna need to be patient and not give up if you really want this.

Forum Member

I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.
    Yea, what's your point? "But I've always wanted to be a firefighter" does not magically negate all the **** poor deicisions you've made in the very recent past of your life. And no, your lawyer is not having it removed from your record unless he plans to place you in a time machine and go back a few years.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I hear there's a new firehouse starting up in Trenton, NJ......

Thread Information