Forum Member

Default Can you Donate gear to Afghan Army Fire Dept

Hello, My name is James Maloney, I am a Major in the Army Reserve and a Firefighter in Watertown MA.

I am currently deployed to Camp Morehead Afghanistan, Morehead is an Afghan Base that a small group of US Military stay on to assist and advise our ANA counterparts. I work as the Engineer. But being a civilian Firefighter I have been working with the ANA FD. They have two nice trucks, and SCBAs, but have no turnout gear, boots, gloves, helmets hoods etc,...

Obviously it really limits how effective they can be at training and fighting fires.

I am just curious if there are any departments out there that have old used stuff they are not using that they would want to send to Afghanistan. Trust me it is better than what they dont have now.

There are 10 firefighters here, they are all about 5'5" to 5'8" from 140-180lbs.

The ANA FFs on my base are some neat guys, most have been in the ANA army since the US helped establish it. Becoming a FF is an honor for them, after proving themself to thier bosses in Combat.

It has been a great experince working with these guys, Im sure i have grown as a firefighter, having to learn stuff well on their trucks, so i can then teach them thru an interpreter.

If you can help out in any way please email me at james.f.maloney@us.army.mil

Thanks

James

MembersZone Subscriber

Or, instead of sending your used gear to a foreign land, to be used by foreigners, who we are already providing support to in many ways, such as this Major (who is part of the finest military in the world) and the training he is providing, you could send it to needy departments right here in the US.

Just saying...

MembersZone Subscriber

I could not agree with your more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

i would hope even the poorest volunteer departments would have basic things like gloves, coats and boots.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Maloney67 View Post
    i would hope even the poorest volunteer departments would have basic things like gloves, coats and boots.
    You would be surprise as to how many don't.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have fire departments still using rubberized coats and turn-outs that are over 25 yrs old. 3 of my firefighters are using turn outs that are 20 yrs old. I'm going to put in for a AFG grant this year to get new ones for them.
    Last edited by volfireman034; 03-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I\m all for taking care of the US first, but think about it. If a VFD cannot attain proper funding for basic TOG, then can they and should they have any business representing themselves as public fire protection? How about giving the citizens the truth about what they can have for nothing. Not to mention here in the US we're bound by so many legal loopholes that donating used equipment is a liability. How about we stop sending millions of dollars in aid out of the US and spend it here to properly protect US citizens then give our used stuff to the foreign countries?

Forum Member

Talking

Thanks for your service over there Jim Maloney.

I can't even imagine what it would cost to ship turnouts gear to afghanistan.
    We just sent my brother in law a goodie package that weighed in around 5 1/2 pounds and the mailing cost was almost twenty dollars to the APO box.

I sent two pair of T.O boots to Iowa last month and it was 28.00 for mailing cost.Iowa's almost like mailing stuff to Afghanistan, isn't it!!!!!
    Last edited by islandfire03; 03-07-2011 at 05:04 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I\m all for taking care of the US first, but think about it. If a VFD cannot attain proper funding for basic TOG, then can they and should they have any business representing themselves as public fire protection? How about giving the citizens the truth about what they can have for nothing. Not to mention here in the US we're bound by so many legal loopholes that donating used equipment is a liability. How about we stop sending millions of dollars in aid out of the US and spend it here to properly protect US citizens then give our used stuff to the foreign countries?
    Give the rural US an alternative then. Figure areas where there may be a 1000 population in a 200 square mile area. Where should their funding come from? The federal arena? State? Local? What is local?

I agree with stop sending so much out of the country - and bring home our brave soldiers, like the OP. BUT, to be blunt, that is not going to happen.

Liability is there walking down the street. Many laws in many states exist to take care of that liability - and there are many ways an attorney can minimize that liability. Even donating to third world countries carries some risk.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Give the rural US an alternative then.
    I understand, but sending TOG to a foreign country is something achievable in a short manner as opposed to the rural alternative. I guess I'd say you can tell your citizens the truth about where they live and the likelihood of losses and see if they're ready to pay for adequate equipment. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I agree with stop sending so much out of the country - and bring home our brave soldiers, like the OP. BUT, to be blunt, that is not going to happen.
    I'm not even going there, I'm just saying stop with billions in aid money to so many countries. We do have large problems here that billions of dollars could put a dent in.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 03-07-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post

I'm not even going there, I'm just saying stop with billions in aid money to so many countries. We do have large problems here that billions of dollars could put a dent in.
    Bing-freaking-o!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Major Maloney,

I performed a similar function as a Marine working civil affairs in Anbar, Iraq. Baghdad was well equipped, but very little would get to the outlying provinces. Find other firefighters and network. The Iraqi fire service is nationalized, and I was able to put some pressure on their HQ via other fire advisors in Baghdad and my chain of command.

Are you working with your local PRT and CA assets? State always has money. I was able to fund projects and acquire some equipment through them.

Basic training is going to be your best cost/benefit. Remember too that their culture and way of doing things are very different, often for good reason. I once read a report written by an American firefighter ridiculing an Iraqi fire officer for not being familiar with the concept of roof ventilation saws-in a country of concrete roofed buildings!

I'm sure things are different in your AO than mine was in 2008-2009, but I wish you luck and a safe tour.

MembersZone Subscriber

Major Maloney,

as a current us army firefighter i was talking about this with my NCOIC and found an intersting tidbit.. try going thru COC and seeing what you can get from the dod fire school i know they rotate their gear and it may be an option for you.. or as others put it try the state department i know the firefighters that i ran into during my deployment overseas said most of the gear that the iraqis where using had been purchased thru the same department that their apparatus had been purchased thru
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Forum Member

GunnyV and Sapper937

Thanks for the good advice, i am actually trying to get my guys to do a rotation at the academy, and am pursuing an few avenues over here. Also another military base may be able to send me some stuff.

It is going well, they can now get water into and out of their truck and spray it. Im going to do a live burn next week but at tihs point it is strictly surround and drown.

Thx

Volunteer guys, i hear your plight, and i am simathetic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Maloney67 View Post
    GunnyV and Sapper937

Thanks for the good advice, i am actually trying to get my guys to do a rotation at the academy, and am pursuing an few avenues over here. Also another military base may be able to send me some stuff.

It is going well, they can now get water into and out of their truck and spray it. Im going to do a live burn next week but at tihs point it is strictly surround and drown.

Thx

Volunteer guys, i hear your plight, and i am simathetic.
    follow the DMRS surplus listings.
    https://www.drms.dla.mil/asset/donalpa.html

FF equipment is obviously 4210. Surplus equipment in Europe (FEPP category) is seldom reutilized as the cost for a rural FD to ship it back to CONUS is too high/difficult. Frequently stuff in UK/Germany/Italy. A good scrounger could no doubt get it a bird headed your way.

A nice looking custom cab pumper now listed in Italy.

Thread Information