Forum Member

Default Small town fire.

Hey guys. I saw what was posed before and it didn't really help. So I'm goin to give this a shot and hope I don't make anyone mad. I'm new to this place and new to the fire department, but have been gettin in on all the drama that has become of this year. We just now got a new Cheif and Asst. Cheif and we are pretty much looking for any help that is possible. The only thing new to our fire station is the station itself. But what we have come too see is that nothing in our system has been kept up. So basicaly we are starting a new fire department. We are trying to do it within what we can, but we are trying to do so much. We have an old brush truck (Chevy diesel I believe its the 6.2 non turbo, could be wrong on that one) a tanker that is a old millitary rig (I'm good with it because its old, but one of the biggest tankers in the county), and a Pumper that I believe is a 1986 that has some leaks and, if it goes down we don't have a back up. So this is some what of a story of our fire department. We have been trying since the turn of this year to get everything lined out. I know the guys that took the job for this town have a lot of wait on their shoulders and they know some of the stuff thats going on so I just thought I would get on here and test out what people had to say. Sorry so long but just thought I'd give a tad bit of info on whats goin on. So I would like to know of any grants that would be I guess you say something that would help out in maybe getting new air packs, trucks, so on. Thanks guys and sorry if this is a repeat of any kind. Once more thank ya'll for reading and answering!

MembersZone Subscriber

The best possibility to assist the department is the AFG grants that provide funding through competitive grants for operations (SCBA, PPE, equipment etc) and vehicles. You are allowed to submit an application for both.

Not knowing anything about the demographics of the area and the department makes it difficult to provide any insight on the direction the department needs to go.

With that in mind you need to complete a needs assessment to prioritize your needs. Is the need greater to replace the tanker, the pumper or the brush truck? Is the need greater to replace SCBA, PPE or something else. By doing so provides a blueprint for future grant applications as well.

The reason being you state a small town department. You will only be able to apply for 1 vehicle in any given year. In addition, if you do a laundry list for the ops side there is a great chance that the application will be tossed. Especially on the ops side you may have to do a multi year program to get the department where it needs to be with SCBA, PPE etc.

Forum Member

Thats what I was thinking. Because the Cheif before just stop doing things for the department. So we are trying to get cought up and figure out where we stand. It would be nice to have a nother pumper, I mean we aren't looking for a 2010 or even a 2000 model just something 1995 or so. We cover a wide spread area. But we also have a town that is trying to come out and take over our area. But we are trying to get all our stuff up to snuff. I think all we have are maybe 6 air packs that are okay, but no back up tanks. Yeah I know sounds sad....but I guess thats why the cheif left and we got a new one. We are a small town with probably 15 men/weman. I figure that we will be waiting a while before everything really starts to look up. But I have been to some other small towns that are wanting new equipment as well. And for our turn outs we actually have hand me downs from Memphis, Tn. not complaing about them because some of them are good, but you can tell that they are not ours. LOL..I'm not sad bout that, just looking in the long run to what happens if our pumper goes down. I'm new to all this and just trying to look around so that maybe I can do some research on all this stuff and maybe help them out. Thank you for your responds!

Also its like I sad that the department is pretty much a rebuild from where we were, we are just now getting a computer for training and a tv. Also we have the old school on the radio side, so we are looking into a grant to update to digital because from what I've been hearing is that that will take over in 2013
    Last edited by Cvillefirefighter; 03-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can go to firegrantsupport.com to get info on the AFG grants. A good start is to read the 2010 program guidance which explains the process, priorities etc.

Forum Member

Thank you very much. I hope that I didn't sound extreamly stupid or anything..lol..was just wanting to see what I could do to get my hands on some of this stuff to do some research myself. I know our new Mayor said something bout getting a new Pumper. We can live without a new brush truck, I mean it would be nice like everyone else to get something newer, but we can drive that out into a field with no problem along with our Tanker. I'm more looking at a new pumper just so that we can use the old one as back up. Witch we do have some 2 other pumpers that I forgot to say anything about, but one doesn't run and has being sitting for a good while. Rats took care of it cause it was at the old cheifs shop and I haven't seen the other pumper. We are in some what of a custudy bottle over the trucks right now...but thats how it goes I guess. I even asked if we could trade them in and maybe get another new pumper. We've workd on all of our stuff and are getting it running a llittle better its just good to see someone actually taking time to do some of the up keep on our stuff. But thats why the old Cheif is out and we got a new one. Sorry for the rant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cville not sure where you are at but if you are in West Tennessee I would suggest you talk to the Chief at Martin Fire. He is pretty good at this stuff and he might be able to help you figure some of this.

Forum Member

WJ, I'm in Arkansas bout 30 mins from Memphis TN

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, it is Chief, not Cheif. It just kind of grates on me. Sorry.

Second, there is NO requirement for you to go digital by 2013, by the FCC or any other federal agency. None. It simply does not exist. You do have to go narrowband, but that is quite a bit cheaper than digital. Don't listen to salespeople.

Third. Check and make sure your department has taken advantage of Arkansas Act 833 money. There are a number of departments along the river that have NEVER taken their money from this program. It is YOUR money, get it!

Fourth. Please tell me you are not from Jericho.

Fifth. Have you been in touch with Greenbrier AR?

Thread Information