Forum Member

Default Bronto in a slope

I like to know department working with a Bronto skylift, what`s the maximum slope you work.

Here in the city i work, we put to the test our Bronto 114 in a 10 degree slope.

Forum Member

OK....I'll bite

Do you have pictures of this set-up? 10 degrees is almost an 18% grade which is pretty steep. How long did it take you to get the truck set up this way?

Forum Member

it takes about 12 to 15 minutes to do it and i put 4 wood spacers in each front jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

more picture !
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Woww, that's amazing. I don't think our ladders can do that, taking that we operate most sticks and only one platform I can think of.

Forum Member

OK - it makes a little more sense now that I see the wood blocks.

12-15 minutes seems like a long time to get the truck set up though.

Here is another picture I found of a Rosenbauer T-Rex set up on a similar slope.

Forum Member

Sorry for such a large photo...not sure how to change that.

Here is the link of the original

http://www.firehall.com/forum/attachment.phpattachmentid=3463&d=1253801573

Forum Member

I take my time there was no emergency, i want to be sure nothing under the truck touch the ground. on emergency it should be faster.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe the Bronto's don't move as much as some others with operation. I've seen many aerials lose jack pressure at different points and I'd be very concerned if I had that much riding on that little cribbing given the angle to help the apparatus walk down the hill. I prefer to use the limitations given all my contact points are directly on the ground or my cribbing is at least level.

Forum Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one that pic made nervous. A little snow/Ice and it's gonna be a BAD day. .C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that pic made nervous. A little snow/Ice and it's gonna be a BAD day. .C.
    Hell, just a little rain will turn that into a bad day. Just looking at the pics, I'd be very cautious and nervous getting under it, if I had to. If it slips or moves, I'm either lucky to get out, or dead. Don't like the latter.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Hell, just a little rain will turn that into a bad day. Just looking at the pics, I'd be very cautious and nervous getting under it, if I had to. If it slips or moves, I'm either lucky to get out, or dead. Don't like the latter.

FM1

In it, on, it, or under it. Not me

Forum Member

Bronto does not reconmend anything over 6 deg. And the use of ground pads.
    All the tires should be off the ground also. Not a good move.

Forum Member

The use of wood spacer be approve by e-one and it is in the bronto manuel of operation for use max 4 spacer, and for the tires there was not presure on it.

I think it was not the first time i work with a Bronto. The training wa ave received it was frome a Bronto instructor from U.S.A.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ren483 View Post
    The use of wood spacer be approve by e-one and it is in the bronto manuel of operation for use max 4 spacer, and for the tires there was not presure on it.

I think it was not the first time i work with a Bronto. The training wa ave received it was frome a Bronto instructor from U.S.A.
    Yes you can use a 4 inch spacer but I wouldn't use wood....Brontos are stable when level...that isn't the question here. The question is whether or not it can slide down a 10 degree slope...the answer is ....yes...I've seen it happen with the Bronto from IPIQ about ten years ago.

Forum Member

Ren,Part of the reason for having tires TOUCHING on Grade is the drag factor on rubber.tire. Steel on Wood block or asphalt on that type of grade........Well, let's say I've seen a LOT of stuff slide you would NOT think COULD. I'm NOT comfortable with this setup,ESPECIALLY at low angle and extended but if YOU are.........it's YOUR ride. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ren,Part of the reason for having tires TOUCHING on Grade is the drag factor on rubber.tire. Steel on Wood block or asphalt on that type of grade........Well, let's say I've seen a LOT of stuff slide you would NOT think COULD. I'm NOT comfortable with this setup,ESPECIALLY at low angle and extended but if YOU are.........it's YOUR ride. T.C.
    Totally agree. I have seen more than a few positioned aerials move and most were not during testing.

Back in the 70's a man in Pennsylvania named Zimmerman taught me how to set up an LTI aerial. He told me to just take the bulge out of the tires so the aerial would be held by the torque box and jacks but the tires would still give some traction while the center of gravity stayed as low as possible.

Since then I have worked at different companies that built their own or installed other people's ladders. There are a lot of different opinions on the subject but for some reason I always remember to just "take the bulge out of the tires" whenever possible. Maybe Mahlon isn't the highest profile aerial "guru" but his words have always stuck with me.

One thing is certain, however, if you operate the apparatus outside of the documented recommendations, you will be responsible for the consequences. For instance, if the ladder were to go over the front of the unit and an overload occur (not that a fire department would ever put too much weight in the bucket), that front end has a loooong way to go before it is stopped by the ground. That much weight gaining that much momentum during acceleration would not be pretty. In fact, you have created an almost catapult.

Did your chief condone this?

Forum Member

My first question is why is the truck facing down the slope. I believe all manufacturers recommend that the truck be facing uphill in this situation so the front wheels can be used as part of the stabilizing system also. I can't imagine what kind of a ride those FF's in the basket would have if this baby came down!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MVFDWA View Post
    My first question is why is the truck facing down the slope. I believe all manufacturers recommend that the truck be facing uphill in this situation so the front wheels can be used as part of the stabilizing system also. I can't imagine what kind of a ride those FF's in the basket would have if this baby came down!!!
    Don't think so. I know the Bronto requires the cab to be facing down hill when leveling on a slope. I'm pretty sure they always want the tires off the ground with the Bronto.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MVFDWA View Post
    Your answer is actually pretty easy, and simple. Use the rear wheels as a brake and friction counter point. Front brakes do not have spring brake cans, so it will not be able to stop it, if it starts rolling.

However.... as with our HP100 E-Ones, we do have a switch to energize the front brake cans, if needed. Will they stop a slid of this magnitude, I seriously doubt it. As well, you always want the engine level or above the rear wheels.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Our Smeal locks the front brakes while operating the platform.Still prefer to have as many tires as possible touching the asphalt. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-25-2011 at 10:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen something like that on a job. Pretty funny when the operator forgot to put it in pump gear and needed a little giant to get back in.

http://njfirepictures.smugmug.com/20...37798144_RyFc6

Forum Member

Default Bronto set-up

Brontos are designed to have all of the tires in the air, so that 100% of the chassis weight is acting as 'restoring weight' (counterweight).
    Cab facing downhill is the recommended set-up position, if possible, because less cribbing will be needed for the leveling of the unit, and the operators will have a shorter climb up to the turntable controls. The overhang of the the front axle, beyond the front outriggers, means that he unit would have to be jacked up that much more in order to clear the tires from the ground.
    The only part of this story that is scary is the fact that the cribbing should be level, not simply laid on the slope so that it has the same angle of the slope. I learned this the hard way about 20 years ago while operating a large rough-terrain crane, and the cribbing we used was not very level. While pre-flighting the configuration, I touched the swing brake and the whole crane slid off of the cribbing. Luckily, it slid slowly and caused no damage, except to the operator's confidence. In order to level the cribbing on a slope, the cribbing should look like a 'wedge' when finished, and the top surface of the cribbing should be level.
    And yes, there is always the possibility that the cribbing can slide down the slope, so that must be addressed.

Thread Information