Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to dress?

Forum Member

Default How to dress?

Hello guys,

Im new to the forum and also new to the hiring process. I just have a question about what to wear to a FIREteam test? Is it like the Panel/Oral interview with a suit and tie? Or would a dress shirt w/ tie and slacks be appropriate? As of now, I do not own a suit, but could get one shortly if need be. I have my first ever test March,21. The test is all that will be done this day, and if passed I will be informed later of the date for the Panel Interview. Any info will help.

Also, here is a little information about myself. I am 24 years old and live in Kansas. I went to a two year Fire Science program and now have been serving on my local rural volunteer dept. for 3 years. I currently work as a 911 Dispatcher (Sheriff, Police, Fire, EMS) for my county and before that I was a Detention Deputy for the sheriffs dept. Needless to say, I have completely immersed myself into Public Safety professions and I cannot see myself doing anything else. Any advise and or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Member

I am from Ok. and here if you even have that a shirt and tie will work but you know a suit would give a better impression.

Best of luck!

Show the panel that you respect them, and the opportunity that they gave you (by allowing you to advance to the interview portion) and the potential job by wearing a SUIT. Don't have one? Go get one. NOW.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say it depends on who is giving the test. In my experience (not much), it's either the Department directly, or a third-party. Even then it depends on the size of the department. I've done both, and I say as long as you look professional (business casual) you won't offend anyone, nor stand out.

Definitely dress as sharp as you can for the interview, however.
    Last edited by GaiusPaul; 03-06-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Member

This can be a long test. Wear something comfortable. Save the suit when you're invited to the oral board.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Follow the advice given to wear a suit and tie. We are paying attention to the crowd and get a feel for the good candidates out there. Do not pass up an opportunity to make a good first impression.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

So, just to clarify what the majority of the people are saying....

DO wear a SUIT to the FIREteam test...Correct?

Sounds like I need to go look for a suit!
    Last edited by bmac2323; 03-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Forum Member

YES, wear a suit. If you do not have one you may want to consider buying one. You will need it for the interview.

The written exam will be proctored by members of the department. At minimum, members of the department will be there. Your intereactions with them should be professional. This is your opportunity to shake hands and network. Look and act professional.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

If you are talking about going to sit and take a written exam and then the CPAT, you don't need to wear a suit as such.

Usually a nice pair of slacks or jeans and a shirt will be good for taking written tests and the physical part of the exam.

One you past all these and get an invite for an interview, ye by all means wear a suit, shined shoes, shaved, neck tie, get a haircut so you look good.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

What's your guys view on taking the written test all decked out in your volly job shirts, jackets, hats, accountability tag hanging off your waist (yes I saw this this weekend), etc?

I was always told not to show up in any other FD garb. I guess I either got the wrong memo, or a lot of people didn't get the memo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally I think it's disrespectful to wear another department's gear while testing at another. And at my department, we are not allowed to wear any line shirts off-duty anyway.

Reminds me while taking a test a few years ago, a gentleman wore a nomex wildland jacket. Quite odd.

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    What's your guys view on taking the written test all decked out in your volly job shirts, jackets, hats, accountability tag hanging off your waist (yes I saw this this weekend), etc?

I was always told not to show up in any other FD garb. I guess I either got the wrong memo, or a lot of people didn't get the memo.
    That is called a whacker and should have laughed at by everyone.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Yes...you got it right...Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, wear ANYTHING fire department related to ANY phase of ANY hiring process.

Only TOOLS do the above.

Dress according to the phase, layout, and circumstances of the test, which includes following dress code instructions (if applicable). Practice even a little common sense and you'll do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    I was taught at a young age, "Know nothing, learn fast..."
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Default Got it!

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advise. I went out and bought a suit and wore it to all aspects of the hiring process. It must have worked! I got the call this morning while out turkey hunting. Returned the call and was notified that I got the position! I got 1 of 3 spots out of 60 applicants. I do want to say thanks to Paul Lepore. I ordered his book "Smoke your Firefighter Interview" and it was a tremendous help! Heres to a new chapter in my life.

Forum Member

fantastic!!! enjoy

Thread Information