Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ohio State Firefighter CERTS/Test Challenge

Hello everyone. I have heard that you are able to challenge the Ohio state FF test. Is there any truth to this? I am currently a firefighter in VA and was looking at possibly relocating. I have Virginia State FF 1 and 2. I know Ohio has the 240 card and was just curious if this was even possible. Thanks and stay safe.

Forum Member

I believe you can. Ohio isn't IFSAC accredited so that's kind of a pain but go to www.EMS.Ohio.gov or call 800-233-0785 that's division of EMS for the dept of pub safety

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I believe you can. Ohio isn't IFSAC accredited so that's kind of a pain but go to www.EMS.Ohio.gov or call 800-233-0785 that's division of EMS for the dept of pub safety
    Thanks man, I am having a pain in the butt time trying to test in certain cities because I have to have that Ohio state cert. I will give them a shout. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Its very easy I just did it last month. Didnt even have to challenge a test. Go to the ohio ems website and get the training verification form and fire equivalency form filled out by your states fire cert. Director. Send them those along with your syllabus and training hours. Its a pain getting your states cert director to fill out the form but the people in ohio were very helpful. I had if sac certs. All the info can be easily found on there website. As far as getting a full time fire job that's a lot harder. Lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Its very easy I just did it last month. Didnt even have to challenge a test. Go to the ohio ems website and get the training verification form and fire equivalency form filled out by your states fire cert. Director. Send them those along with your syllabus and training hours. Its a pain getting your states cert director to fill out the form but the people in ohio were very helpful. I had if sac certs. All the info can be easily found on there website. As far as getting a full time fire job that's a lot harder. Lol
    Awesome! Thanks for the help. As far as the syllabus and training hours, what do you mean. Not real clear on this. I would think the director could pull all my hours up. I really appreciate it. I am going to go print the forms up now.

One more question. By getting the ohio certs, I am not dropping my VA ones right? I will just have an additional cert...
    Thanks

Forum Member

If you look at the verification of training form off of the ohio ems website you'll see on the bottom that they want how many hours were spent on each subject (Ex: Fire behavior, ladders, hose tools, ventilation, etc..) That is where i attached a syllabus. Depending on your training you may have to challenge the test or take more classes. (Hopefully not) Also look up the state of virginia's fire certification coordinator, that's who is going to have to sign it. I had the person that was the head of my training school sign the form verifying the training, needless to say it wasted a months time being sent back to me in the mail. Yes you'll still be certified in both states. It's kind of a pain, If you can get a hold of the certifications person in columbus she'll gladly tell you the person in VA that needs to sign your form. She is very helpful and nice.

Thread Information