1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I believe you meant "Stuphen", right?
    I don't get it


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I view the Sutphen as a Tower Ladder. Unless it has the additional siderails the ladder is really nothing more than an escape ladder, just like the Aerialscope.
    no matter what ladder is bolted to the boom, it still is a tower ladder. The construction of the escape ladder doesn't change the basic engineering of the aerial device.

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I don't get it
    Go read post #6 again.

  3. #28
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    We actually have both, with our Sutphens. The SP95 doesn't have any side rails, but the SP70 does.

    Consider it a personal plus, if you will, but I'm more comfortable with hand rails at any length.

    FM1
    When the neighbors of my previous department bought their 75', they didn't get handrails due to a door height issue.

    When we bought our 95', we did, and yes, it makes one hell of a differnece in the ole' comfort level.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
    I don't know if anyone seen this, http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerS...roduction.html

    To meet it looks like the production itself is near completion, but not service. Does anyone know the companies that will be using these (pieces of junk)

    But after all a truck is only as good as its specs.
    Phaze, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

    Now on to the flip side, your standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

    I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.


    On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

    I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 03-10-2011 at 03:47 PM.

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Phase, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

    Now on to the flip side, you standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

    I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.


    On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

    I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.
    Excellent post. Thank you for a different FDNY persepctive.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Phaze, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

    Now on to the flip side, your standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

    I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.


    On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

    I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.


    Well said Brother.


    Phaze is just that, a phaze!


    BTW we have a 1996 Ferrara with an LTI stick and it is running as good as it did when she was backed in to the fire house.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-10-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  7. #32
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.

  8. #33
    Forum Member
    Trkco1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    270

    Default

    You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.
    Bro.....I am stealing your material.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

  9. #34
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.
    Their website has a Dealer Locator, have you contacted that Dealer? If they dont respond, call the factory.

  10. #35
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.
    In todays market and economic environment one would think they would be more attentive to prospective customers. Not sure where you are located but we experienced the same issues when working on our last engine. Their local dealer had little to any interest and that was all we received was a brochure. You may want to contact someone at the corporate level and see if that helps.

    http://www.ferrarafire.com/Contact/Contact.html

  11. #36
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Actually there is a difference, A tower ladder is a aerial device with a bucket that basicaly has an ladder on top for escape purposes only..A ladder tower is a ladder with a bucket at the end.

  12. #37
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    In todays market and economic environment one would think they would be more attentive to prospective customers. Not sure where you are located but we experienced the same issues when working on our last engine. Their local dealer had little to any interest and that was all we received was a brochure. You may want to contact someone at the corporate level and see if that helps.

    http://www.ferrarafire.com/Contact/Contact.html
    Ferrera is right now going through some growing pains.

    They have become a fiarly big player, and have developed markets well beyond thier traditional local base over the past several years filling significant multi-vehicle contracts for several large cities.

    I hate to say that they have forgotten the simple single truck order but the reality is they are struggling to some degree handling the growth, and many of the smaller departments that were thier bread and butter for years are being left by the wayside.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.
    They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle. Ferrara was the third lowest bid at or around $525,000. E-0ne was second at $522,000. And HME was the lowest at $518,000.

    I was pushing hard for the Sutphen, You just got to love the low maintenance and 3 to 1 safety ratio, But They were $625,000

    Looks like we are going to get stuck this the piece of crap HME, fracking lowest bid. At this point we would love to have the Ferrara, but you know how the lowest bid deal works. I rather fight fire in the towns bucket truck, naked with just a garden hose than off of a HME ladder, which is nothing but a cheap copy of a Smeal!

    By the way Seagrave was the highest bid at $750,000. Can you say pipe dream!
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

  14. #39
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle. Ferrara was the third lowest bid at or around $525,000. E-0ne was second at $522,000. And HME was the lowest at $518,000.

    I was pushing hard for the Sutphen, You just got to love the low maintenance and 3 to 1 safety ratio, But They were $625,000

    Looks like we are going to get stuck this the piece of crap HME, fracking lowest bid. At this point we would love to have the Ferrara, but you know how the lowest bid deal works. I rather fight fire in the towns bucket truck, naked with just a garden hose than off of a HME ladder, which is nothing but a cheap copy of a Smeal!

    By the way Seagrave was the highest bid at $750,000. Can you say pipe dream!
    Unless they have changed recently I believe that RK builds the aerials for HME.

    Why do you dislike HME? My volly FD has an HME engine and it has given us a minimum of problems.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  15. #40
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle.
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  16. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pevely, MO
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    We have a 75' ladder with pump and 500 water on a single axle.

  17. #42
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    Rigs in this combination are easy to find...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    They wouldn't be the only ones. There's many of that combination already out there and from a variety of manufacturers.

    We have one and it's working out just fine.
    Last edited by FireMedic049; 03-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.

  19. #44
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    On TODAY'S technology? Yup,quite a few of them around here. Actually a pretty common setup. T.C.

  20. #45
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Phaze, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

    Now on to the flip side, your standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

    I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.


    On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

    I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.
    Gonna be interesting to see how how the Ladders hold up in FDNY service. I'm well satisfied with ours but it isn't getting the snot run out of it everyday either. T.c.

  21. #46
    Forum Member
    IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Unless they have changed recently I believe that RK builds the aerials for HME.

    Why do you dislike HME? My volly FD has an HME engine and it has given us a minimum of problems.
    I would guess that his issue is with the RK aerial.

    We have 2 75' sticks and 3 104' towers... All RK.

    The sticks are ok but IMHO there are much better out there.

    The towers are downright frightening and I do not feel comfortable operating off of them. They flex more than anything that I have ever seen in my life. I've been up in a Scope, Sutphen, Grumman, KME (same as Grumman) and E-One platforms. None of them even came close to the amount of flex in the RK's.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  22. #47
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,417

    Default

    Two questions for everyone who has the single screw quints with 500 gallons...

    1. Are they legal according to your state's axle laws?

    2. How often do you burn through brakes?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  23. #48
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,417

    Default

    [QUOTE=FireMedic049;1255007]They wouldn't be the only ones. There's many of that combination already out there and from a variety of manufacturers.[QUOTE]

    Yes I am very well aware of that. I am just not one for putting that much weight on a single screw, and in todays world with many short-wheelbased twin screws out there (granted not as short as a single), wonder why someone would put 20 pounds on a 10 pound chassis???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  24. #49
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    [QUOTE=FWDbuff;1255044][QUOTE=FireMedic049;1255007]They wouldn't be the only ones. There's many of that combination already out there and from a variety of manufacturers.

    Yes I am very well aware of that. I am just not one for putting that much weight on a single screw, and in todays world with many short-wheelbased twin screws out there (granted not as short as a single), wonder why someone would put 20 pounds on a 10 pound chassis???
    Um, maybe because the twin screw is too long for the station? Maybe cost?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Unless they have changed recently I believe that RK builds the aerials for HME.

    Why do you dislike HME? My volly FD has an HME engine and it has given us a minimum of problems.
    I just get nervous when we are looking spending that much money on a truck that I've only seen at a trade show once and that the salesman has brought by my dept. twice. There are no HMEs in my area and I don't know very much about them. Around these part Depts. run Sutphens, E-Ones, Pierce and KMEs. I just don't want to end up with the "ACME" truck all because it was the lowest bid. When compared side by side with a Sutphen the HME stick just looks cheaply constructed. If we end up with the HME, then it is what it is, and we will make the best of it, I just hope that it works out.
    Last edited by BULL321; 03-11-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Never Forget!
    By wyesguy24 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
  2. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  3. saying from 9-11-01 and the year 2001
    By mtnfyre21 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
  4. We have to look into our darkest day
    By harlemBrother in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 07:41 PM
  5. MY PRAYERS TO OUR FELLOW EMERGENCY WORKERS IN NEW YORK
    By actionj21 in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-21-2001, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register