Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
    This is a post by Mr. Phaze on 2/14/2011, I guess this sums up the years of experance that allowed for his opinion also the first hand knowledge to start this thread. Good luck in your Explorer program. and I with your continued growth in he fire service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
    Oh excuse me (not said sarcastically)

I do not know the exact specs of these vehicles. But I had a chance to speak with some FDNY firefighters who said they do not enjoy ferrara, and that seagrave is their preferred brand. I have had the chance of seeing FDNY Engine 54 (Ferrara) and HazMat 1 (Ferrara) not the best apparatus. However, if they prove good in the field, we will see...
    This isn't sarcastic, either. Get off of mommy and daddy's computer and go do your homework.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Can you provide the name of another manufacturer of "tower ladders"? There are many manufacturer's of "ladder towers" that I am aware of...and there is a big difference between a tower ladder and ladder tower.
    Sutphen would be another

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Sutphen would be another
    I believe you meant "Stuphen", right?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Can you provide the name of another manufacturer of "tower ladders"? There are many manufacturer's of "ladder towers" that I am aware of...and there is a big difference between a tower ladder and ladder tower.
    I view the Sutphen as a Tower Ladder. Unless it has the additional siderails the ladder is really nothing more than an escape ladder, just like the Aerialscope.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I view the Sutphen as a Tower Ladder. Unless it has the additional siderails the ladder is really nothing more than an escape ladder, just like the Aerialscope.
    We actually have both, with our Sutphens. The SP95 doesn't have any side rails, but the SP70 does.

Consider it a personal plus, if you will, but I'm more comfortable with hand rails at any length.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I believe you meant "Stuphen", right?
    I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    no matter what ladder is bolted to the boom, it still is a tower ladder. The construction of the escape ladder doesn't change the basic engineering of the aerial device.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I don't get it
    Go read post #6 again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    We actually have both, with our Sutphens. The SP95 doesn't have any side rails, but the SP70 does.

Consider it a personal plus, if you will, but I'm more comfortable with hand rails at any length.

FM1
    When the neighbors of my previous department bought their 75', they didn't get handrails due to a door height issue.

When we bought our 95', we did, and yes, it makes one hell of a differnece in the ole' comfort level.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
    I don't know if anyone seen this, http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerS...roduction.html

To meet it looks like the production itself is near completion, but not service. Does anyone know the companies that will be using these (pieces of junk)

But after all a truck is only as good as its specs.
    Phaze, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

Now on to the flip side, your standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.

On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 03-10-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Phase, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

Now on to the flip side, you standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

I was a volly for 6 years before being fortunate enough to be hired by the FDNY several years ago. You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.

On to our apparatus. Getting a look at a rig doesn't tell you what it amounts too. My house has both a Seagrave engine and rear-mount. They're rumbling rickety pieces of rusty metal. You might call them junk. The truckies can't WAIT for the new Ferrara to show up. That rig is going to be replaced by one of the 20 in this order.

I've said this before: It makes no difference who makes the rig. NONE. Its built to a spec and some specs work better than others. A lot of time went into the specs on the most recent orders and hopefully it pays off.
    Excellent post. Thank you for a different FDNY persepctive.
    Maybe it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Phaze, welcome to the fire service. Have you joined the Explorers yet? Joining an explorer program is an excellent idea and a great way to get into the service. I wish I'd gotten involved that early!

Now on to the flip side, your standing means that you have "ZERO" knowledge of the fire service. Absolutely none. You've never been in a fire and you are just at the point of joining an organization.

Well said Brother.

Phaze is just that, a phaze!

BTW we have a 1996 Ferrara with an LTI stick and it is running as good as it did when she was backed in to the fire house.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-10-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.

You know how much I know about the fire service? Somewhere between a tiny little bit and a few things. Nothing is more dangerous than someone who says they have extensive knowledge.
    Bro.....I am stealing your material.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    I'd like very much to get a look at a Ferrara. Wish they would respond to our calls with more than just a brochure. Only spec'ing one truck so maybe thats the issue.
    Their website has a Dealer Locator, have you contacted that Dealer? If they dont respond, call the factory.

MembersZone Subscriber

In todays market and economic environment one would think they would be more attentive to prospective customers. Not sure where you are located but we experienced the same issues when working on our last engine. Their local dealer had little to any interest and that was all we received was a brochure. You may want to contact someone at the corporate level and see if that helps.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/Contact/Contact.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually there is a difference, A tower ladder is a aerial device with a bucket that basicaly has an ladder on top for escape purposes only..A ladder tower is a ladder with a bucket at the end.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    In todays market and economic environment one would think they would be more attentive to prospective customers. Not sure where you are located but we experienced the same issues when working on our last engine. Their local dealer had little to any interest and that was all we received was a brochure. You may want to contact someone at the corporate level and see if that helps.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/Contact/Contact.html
    Ferrera is right now going through some growing pains.

They have become a fiarly big player, and have developed markets well beyond thier traditional local base over the past several years filling significant multi-vehicle contracts for several large cities.

I hate to say that they have forgotten the simple single truck order but the reality is they are struggling to some degree handling the growth, and many of the smaller departments that were thier bread and butter for years are being left by the wayside.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle. Ferrara was the third lowest bid at or around $525,000. E-0ne was second at $522,000. And HME was the lowest at $518,000.

I was pushing hard for the Sutphen, You just got to love the low maintenance and 3 to 1 safety ratio, But They were $625,000

Looks like we are going to get stuck this the piece of crap HME, fracking lowest bid. At this point we would love to have the Ferrara, but you know how the lowest bid deal works. I rather fight fire in the towns bucket truck, naked with just a garden hose than off of a HME ladder, which is nothing but a cheap copy of a Smeal!

By the way Seagrave was the highest bid at $750,000. Can you say pipe dream!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle. Ferrara was the third lowest bid at or around $525,000. E-0ne was second at $522,000. And HME was the lowest at $518,000.

I was pushing hard for the Sutphen, You just got to love the low maintenance and 3 to 1 safety ratio, But They were $625,000

Looks like we are going to get stuck this the piece of crap HME, fracking lowest bid. At this point we would love to have the Ferrara, but you know how the lowest bid deal works. I rather fight fire in the towns bucket truck, naked with just a garden hose than off of a HME ladder, which is nothing but a cheap copy of a Smeal!

By the way Seagrave was the highest bid at $750,000. Can you say pipe dream!
    Unless they have changed recently I believe that RK builds the aerials for HME.

Why do you dislike HME? My volly FD has an HME engine and it has given us a minimum of problems.
    Maybe it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    They were just at our station, this past Tuesday. Nice Truck. We are in the process of buy our first ladder truck. General Specs, At least 400 horse motor, 500 water 30 foam, 75 stick mid or rear mount, 1500 pump. single or dual axle.
    You guys would put a stick, a pump, and 500 water on a single rear???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information