Forum Member

Smile FDNY Ferrara...Near Completion

I don't know if anyone seen this, http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerS...roduction.html

To meet it looks like the production itself is near completion, but not service. Does anyone know the companies that will be using these (pieces of junk)

But after all a truck is only as good as its specs.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Not your favored brand I take.

Let me ask you these few questions:

1) Have you seen the spec that the FDNY wrote for these apparatus?
    2) Have you seen, up close and personal, these apparatus?
    3) Why would you automatically assume they are (piece of junk)?

I have no iron in the fire here. I don't sell Ferrara. I don't build or service them. I certainly do not own the company. But I grow weary of people,out of hand,posting on here what a piece of junk an apparatus is simply because it isn't their preferred brand.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Oh excuse me (not said sarcastically)

I do not know the exact specs of these vehicles. But I had a chance to speak with some FDNY firefighters who said they do not enjoy ferrara, and that seagrave is their preferred brand. I have had the chance of seeing FDNY Engine 54 (Ferrara) and HazMat 1 (Ferrara) not the best apparatus. However, if they prove good in the field, we will see...

Forum Member

I am the Captain of an engine company that runs a Ferrara. While the rig has had a few problems there were no more than any other apparatus we've had... And I would certainly not call it a piece of junk.

BTW, you're pretty late on the conversation. These rigs have been discussed fairly extensively on here. I'm sure if you did a search you would come across at lease a few threads regarding both the rear mounts and the rescues that Ferrara is building for FDNY.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Oh wow, what company do you run?

And I know there are a few threads but this regards the near completion of their first rig.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze View Post

I do not know the exact specs of these vehicles. But I had a chance to speak with some FDNY firefighters who said they do not enjoy ferrara, and that seagrave is their preferred brand. I have had the chance of seeing FDNY Engine 54 (Ferrara) and HazMat 1 (Ferrara) not the best apparatus. However, if they prove good in the field, we will see...
    Houston is a pretty busy FD.

In fact, I believe they are 3rd or 4th in the country, yet they keep reordering these "pieces of junk".

Same with Indianapolis.

I'll be honest and say when I moved down here and started working with Ferrera, I thought that nothing could hold a candle to Stuphen, and Ferrera was a low-cost truck.
    After a few years, I'll put a high-end Ferrera against anything out there, including Stuphen.

Until you actually work with them day in and day out, rather than just "talk to a bunch of guys", ya probably should watch what you say. It makes you like like an idiot.

(And that goes for any brand on the market)
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Oh wow, what company do you run?

And I know there are a few threads but this regards the near completion of their first rig.
    Not in FDNY if that's what you're asking. Should've specified that...
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Well I just thinks it's the rough city that beats the ferrara's down in NY. I will revise Ferrara.

Forum Member

Well I just thinks it's the rough city that beats the ferrara's down in NY. I will revise Ferrara.
    We'll see.

IMO Ferrera made a mistake in bidding on the ladders and the rescues.

Seagrave has obviously learned that the warranty requirements make any large scale contract with the FDNY a high-risk investment. I am holding my breath that this contract will not bite them in the azz and take them down.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

By the way, for those of you unaware, Seagrave was just awarded the contract for 15 aerialscopes last week.

I assume they were the only bidder.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Well who else makes an arialscope? Or at least a good one, ha ha.

Forum Member

Well who else makes an arialscope? Or at least a good one, ha ha.
    Seagrave makes the Aerialscope. Period.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Seagrave makes the Aerialscope. Period.
    Amen to that.

Forum Member

Amen to that.
    Amen to what? The fact that a patented name brand of tower ladder, the Aerialscope is manufactured by Seagrave?

There are other makers of tower ladders. In case you weren't aware. But it is a fact that Seagrave is the only one that can manufacture the Aerialscope.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Amen to what? The fact that a patented name brand of tower ladder, the Aerialscope is manufactured by Seagrave?

There are other makers of tower ladders. In case you weren't aware. But it is a fact that Seagrave is the only one that can manufacture the Aerialscope.
    Not to mention that the Aerialscope is so highly regarded by the fire service they rank #1 in sales. Wait. What?

Forum Member

I don't know if anyone seen this, http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerS...roduction.html

To meet it looks like the production itself is near completion, but not service. Does anyone know the companies that will be using these (pieces of junk)

Actually, it is a certainty that Ferrara and the FDNY truck committee have spent many hours together by now. Either side could have pulled the plug if they were not committed. You can all sympathize with the ramifications if the city had to stop things and regroup. The other side is the expense Ferrara has had to incur just to get this far. Things could very well go south on either side.

That said, it sure is easy to sit on the sidelines and throw snark. Personally, I have always been a competitor of Ferrara and do not personally care for Chris. I also know and like a lot of his employees, current, past and present (which seems to be most of them, if you know what I mean.) They make a decent piece of apparatus. Yes, they have had problems in the past but everyone does when they grow. Your opinion may cost them a sale or not but, the simple fact that FDNY even considered them gives them more credibility than your whining little post.

Most likely, the first units will be accepted and the rest of the contract fulfilled. Then, time will tell. The City has a nasty habit of ending the careers of builders. Especially the ones they like. So, if you really hate Ferrara all that much you might be better off wishing they wildly succeed.

So, specifically, what do you really think is "junk" about these units that are being custom built to FDNY specs? Also, what do you find so amusing about the city's specs? I have read their specs from a builder's standpoint and had nothing but heartburn. I would really be interested in your input since you seem to have a better handle on the situation than they do. [/sarcasm]

Please, please let us all know where the city specs are so laughably sad. I am all ears.
    Last edited by firepundit; 03-08-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Grammar, @$#%#@%#$% grammar

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure why but I think maybe 137 Truck is getting one of these units? I could be mistaken.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Actually, it is a certainty that Ferrara and the FDNY truck committee have spent many hours together by now. Either side could have pulled the plug if they were not committed. You can all sympathize with the ramifications if the city had to stop things and regroup. The other side is the expense Ferrara has had to incur just to get this far. Things could very well go south on either side.

That said, it sure is easy to sit on the sidelines and throw snark. Personally, I have always been a competitor of Ferrara and do not personally care for Chris. I also know and like a lot of his employees, current, past and present (which seems to be most of them, if you know what I mean.) They make a decent piece of apparatus. Yes, they have had problems in the past but everyone does when they grow. Your opinion may cost them a sale or not but, the simple fact that FDNY even considered them gives them more credibility than your whining little post.

Most likely, the first units will be accepted and the rest of the contract fulfilled. Then, time will tell. The City has a nasty habit of ending the careers of builders. Especially the ones they like. So, if you really hate Ferrara all that much you might be better off wishing they wildly succeed.

So, specifically, what do you really think is "junk" about these units that are being custom built to FDNY specs? Also, what do you find so amusing about the city's specs? I have read their specs from a builder's standpoint and had nothing but heartburn. I would really be interested in your input since you seem to have a better handle on the situation than they do. [/sarcasm]

Please, please let us all know where the city specs are so laughably sad. I am all ears.
    But he personally spoke to a couple of fdny guys who assured him that when the third full moon came they would all fall apart because they weren't seagraves.
    Anyone will have a hard time meeting the fdny warrantee contract issues and you are correct sir that it can make or break any builder.
    Kinda like the streets of NY can break anybodies truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are other makers of tower ladders.
    Can you provide the name of another manufacturer of "tower ladders"? There are many manufacturer's of "ladder towers" that I am aware of...and there is a big difference between a tower ladder and ladder tower.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Talking Why can't we get along.

My name is Keller Brown (call me Phaze) I am going to join the explorers program in a few years (About 1...) I know quite a bit of firefighting but you guys will have to lead the way. I hope that joining this forum, that I can be prepared. Tips are appreciated.

~Phaze
    This is a post by Mr. Phaze on 2/14/2011, I guess this sums up the years of experance that allowed for his opinion also the first hand knowledge to start this thread. Good luck in your Explorer program. and I with your continued growth in the fire service.
    Last edited by Skysthelimit; 03-08-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Wrong date

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
    This is a post by Mr. Phaze on 2/14/2011, I guess this sums up the years of experance that allowed for his opinion also the first hand knowledge to start this thread. Good luck in your Explorer program. and I with your continued growth in he fire service.

This isn't sarcastic, either. Get off of mommy and daddy's computer and go do your homework.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Can you provide the name of another manufacturer of "tower ladders"? There are many manufacturer's of "ladder towers" that I am aware of...and there is a big difference between a tower ladder and ladder tower.
    Sutphen would be another

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Sutphen would be another
    I believe you meant "Stuphen", right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    I view the Sutphen as a Tower Ladder. Unless it has the additional siderails the ladder is really nothing more than an escape ladder, just like the Aerialscope.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I view the Sutphen as a Tower Ladder. Unless it has the additional siderails the ladder is really nothing more than an escape ladder, just like the Aerialscope.
    We actually have both, with our Sutphens. The SP95 doesn't have any side rails, but the SP70 does.

Consider it a personal plus, if you will, but I'm more comfortable with hand rails at any length.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information