Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Carrollton Texas is Testing

Go to Carrollton's site, I happened to be checking local depts and found that they are testing (registration ends this Friday and the test is on the 3-26). I thought I had set it up so that they would send a notification, but guess not.

Anyways, it was an oversight for me and thought some others might not know about it.
    Last edited by sachse1; 03-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member

Great fire chief

And never heard anything bad about the dept

Forum Member

My grandparents live in Carrollton. Great city. Unfortunately test date is during my academy. boo.

Forum Member

Test day same as Mesquite. Think they wouldnt schedule testing the same day as other departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

They tested the same time last year. I'd be curious to see how many people were hired there off last yesr's list.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter88 View Post
    Test day same as Mesquite. Think they wouldnt schedule testing the same day as other departments.
    Seriously, do they not talk to each other? Kinda cruel/rude to make potential firefighters pick and choose, especially in times like these. Or at least do a joint test?

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Great fire chief

And never heard anything bad about the dept
    Carrollton is a great department. They are among the highest paying in the DFW Metroplex and therefore, the competition to get hired is among the toughest.

Since they are a small FD, they usually, like every other department have hundreds of applicants for a small number of openings, i.e. 500 applicants for 2 vacancies. Most of the applicants will far exceed the minimum standards and have at least a B.A. or B.S., paramedic certification, and higher levels of certification through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (Texas's certifying agency).

The fight very few fires and run mostly EMS runs. A friend of mine is a Captain there and he told me his engine hasn't laid a plug line in over 5 years.

The Carrollton guys I know seem like a good bunch of proud, dedicated guys.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    Seriously, do they not talk to each other? Kinda cruel/rude to make potential firefighters pick and choose, especially in times like these. Or at least do a joint test?
    Carrollton isn't really worried about Mesquite (and vice versa) with regards to fire testing. They each get more applicants than they could possibly consider for employment (even with tests on the same day and time).

I doubt it's intentional on either's behalf - it just worked out that way.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

FR1
    Forum Member

Took the test, passed, made top 30. The PAT is this Saturday. Quick turn around and hiring 5.

Forum Member

Crazy fast want 5 by May. Just missed the cut good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FR1 View Post
    Took the test, passed, made top 30. The PAT is this Saturday. Quick turn around and hiring 5.
    I'll see you Saturday myself! The quick turn around is so that they can get the new hires into UTSW's EMT-B class that starts May 6th. At least, that's how I understand it.

By my estimate there were about 175 people who tested. There were approximately 50 tables with 3-4 people at each table.

This was my first time testing, and I was only working on 3 hours of sleep after a long week, so I was thrilled to advance. Whether I get hired or not, this will be a huge help to me to get to experience some of the hiring process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Made the cut myself, really excited about this one with the quick hiring process, I'm impressed with their efficiency. Wish my academy grad cert from California counted towards the firefighter tiebreaker. See ya'll at the CPAT!

FR1
    Forum Member

What was your time on the PAT???

FR1
    Forum Member

And not you Amstreidder. I know you were like a 6:47 or something crazy like that

Forum Member

I finished at 6:53. Unless either of the last 2 or 3 people beat me, I think I finished with the second best time. I was so sore yesterday it wasn't even funny!

This is Nathan btw.

FR1
    Forum Member

there were 2 sub 7 second runs. 3-4 sub 8 second runs. Only 2 people didnt finish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, I got the best time? That can't be right, I was one of the biggest guys there. I had a bit of an advantage having just graduated from an Academy, so all those movements were very familiar and we did drills like that very regularly. Good job to all who passed, and good luck everyone in the interviews. I had mine today and it went really well, but I won't give up any info. I'm on my way home to California, I hope to see as many of you as possible next week when they send out job offers!

Forum Member

glad to see they are hiring again. i live in carrollton and originally applied last march and took the test, scored well, but they never ended up having a physical test or never scheduled it, so I have no idead what happened to last years list. Either way, I got hired on in arlington and couldnt be happier. Good luck to you all and hopefully some of yall will be protecting the streets i live in.

Forum Member

My interview isn't until next Wednesday...they filled this whole week by the time it got to me. Oh well, I had a ton of stuff to do this week with class and work and wanted more time to prepare anyways. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing to go for the interview towards the end, it could probably go either way.

I didn't know that 2 people didn't finish, I only saw 1 that didn't.

Yes Adam, you got the best time, but I want a rematch

Thread Information