Forum Member

Default Ohio 240 card questions

Hello! I'm taking my 240 test next week and I had a few questions. I'm testing for a DEPT right now but chances of me getting on without any of my certifications at the moment make the odds seem very much stacked against me. I know to keep your card you need so many hours of training over an extended period of time. What happens if you don't receive that training say simply because you don't have a DEPT to train on? Will you loose your card and have to retake the entire 240? Or just have to retake the 240 test itself?

Forum Member

Probably if you went to the hiring thread and look for an Ohio posting about the 240 you might get the answer you are seeking.

You can also apply in other states and not have to have that and get hired and they will train you and you get your certifications there. May have a better chance on being hired than in Ohio at this time.

Look in the hiring section thread and there are several posts that are from members indicating that other fd's are taking applications.

Forum Member

There is no cut a dry answer to this. You will need 54 hours over three years. This is not a lot and not hard to get even without being on a department. There are classes all the time out there. Where do you live? There are a ton of volunteer or part time departments in Ohio that would love a 240 firefighter. Get your medic card and you are worth something during the hiring process for full time.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    There is no cut a dry answer to this. You will need 54 hours over three years. This is not a lot and not hard to get even without being on a department. There are classes all the time out there. Where do you live? There are a ton of volunteer or part time departments in Ohio that would love a 240 firefighter. Get your medic card and you are worth something during the hiring process for full time.
    Currently I live in Willougbhy Hills. I'm testing for Lorain Fire Dept currently and move onto their physical agility on the 20th. Unfortunately everything here in Lake county is career that I'm aware of. If I could volunteer I would in a heart beat no doubt. But as far as medic yes I'm currently working on getting all the medical stuff started this summer at Tri-C.

Thanks for the help so far though guys I greatly appreciate it!

Forum Member

Almost every department in Lake County is fulltime/parttime. If you are already an EMT and have your 240 card, you may be able to get a foot in the door. Willoughby Hills is a combination department for sure and has part timers.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Almost every department in Lake County is fulltime/parttime. If you are already an EMT and have your 240 card, you may be able to get a foot in the door. Willoughby Hills is a combination department for sure and has part timers.
    Yeah still waiting on my EMT class to start but hell part time would be better than no time at all! Thanks for your help though man!

Thread Information