Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default DoD Lateral Transfer from KY to OH

Hello all who may be interested, im a current DoD GS-7 Firefighter/EMT working out of Fort Knox, ive been looking to move to Ohio to be closer to family and was curious if anyone would be possibly interested in a lateral transfer? Would prefer Wright-Patterson AFB since its close to Columbus where im trying to head to. Been checking USAjobs frequently and havent had much luck. If you interested, feel free to drop me a line. Thanks once again

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

How does a lateral transfer work for a federal employee? I work for the army in monterey, ca and would like to transfer but didn't know that opportunity existed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwashburn View Post
    How does a lateral transfer work for a federal employee? I work for the army in monterey, ca and would like to transfer but didn't know that opportunity existed.
    From what I understand (I have no regs or pubs to back myself up, so take it for what you will), you can't "swap" with other agencies straight up. AF can swap with AF, but not between agencies. What you can do, if both management buy off on it, is to go into agreement that you will take each other's positions via transfer, but it would be treated as any other transfer (such as me, a GS-7 wanting to get closer to home so I take a GS-7 job in CA... still going through the vacancy announcement process)... I wouldn't put my career on the line for a handshake agreement though. A hiring manager can direct hire somebody as long as it's not a careers position. You best bet to find solid information is your staffing/HR office.

If you are able to to do an inter-agency swap, the entire thing is on your dime. You will not get any permissive TDY or travel days. All expenses will be absorbed by the individuals swapping and you will have to take leave or lose pay.

Thread Information