Forum Member

Default Volunteer Depts near Dallas

Are there any volunteer departments near the Dallas area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dpg612 View Post
    Are there any volunteer departments near the Dallas area?
    There are plenty. I currently volunteer for Sunnyvale Fire Rescue. Rockwall, Forney, Combine, Ferris, etc all have volunteers. Check around, lots of small towns outside of the DFW metroplex have volunteer depts.

Forum Member

Depends on how far you want to live from Dallas.

The closest one to the city is Double Oak, which is located just northwest of Dallas.

Very small response area with only one apartment complex on the fringe. Everything else in the district is fairly expensive single-family residental.

Fairly squared away department with a couple of engines and a couple of brush trucks.

A few years ago it looked like my wife was going to be transferred to Dallas so I did a bunch of research.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Hows the call volume and training availability at some of these places? Many of the ones I have found websites for don't seem like what I expected, most seem very small. I'm coming from Long Island, NY and considering relocating for a job.

Forum Member

Tx volunteer depts I think you will find out are a little different then back east

Funding very low vehicles not as new

Forum Member

Tx volunteer depts I think you will find out are a little different then back east

Most cities in dfw are all paid

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

Most cities in dfw are all paid
    As Fire said, most departments in the DFW metro area are either all paid or part paid with some volunteer staff that pull in-station shifts and don't respond from home.

The department I looked at, Double Oak ran about 150 calls 5 years ago, with a lot of mutual and brush and wildland response.

Go to dovfd.org and that will give you a perspective on them as well as some of the other departments in Denton County, which is northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth.

Forum Member

LaFire thanks for the tip and link.
    This really is a whole different world, my home department gets almost 900 fire and 5500 ems calls. The 150 they ran 5 years ago was a couple of weeks here....

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As Fire said, most departments in the DFW metro area are either all paid or part paid with some volunteer staff that pull in-station shifts and don't respond from home.

The department I looked at, Double Oak ran about 150 calls 5 years ago, with a lot of mutual and brush and wildland response.

Go to dovfd.org and that will give you a perspective on them as well as some of the other departments in Denton County, which is northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth.

Forum Member

Almost every department in the DFW Metroplex is career. There are very few FDs with remaining volunteer components that I am aware of.

As you leave the confines of Denton (to the north), Mesquite (to the east), Arlington (to the south), and Fort Worth (to the west), almost all of the FDs go from all-career to all-volunteer.

The following in the DFW Metroplex are all-career:

Arlington
    Bedford
    Carrollton
    Dallas
    Denton
    DFW Airport
    Euless
    Flower Mound
    Frisco
    Garland
    Grand Prairie
    Grapevine
    Hurst
    Irving
    Lewisville
    Mesquite
    Plano
    Richardson

Although there are a few little departments scattered "here and there" inside the Metroplex, most are all-career.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    Almost every department in the DFW Metroplex is career. There are very few FDs with remaining volunteer components that I am aware of.

As you leave the confines of Denton (to the north), Mesquite (to the east), Arlington (to the south), and Fort Worth (to the west), almost all of the FDs go from all-career to all-volunteer.

The following in the DFW Metroplex are all-career:

Arlington
    Bedford
    Carrollton
    Dallas
    Denton
    DFW Airport
    Euless
    Flower Mound
    Frisco
    Garland
    Grand Prairie
    Grapevine
    Hurst
    Irving
    Lewisville
    Mesquite
    Plano
    Richardson

Although there are a few little departments scattered "here and there" inside the Metroplex, most are all-career.
    I found a few North East near McKinney, anyone have an opinion to share about any of them?

Forum Member

As you stated vol back east are different then Texas

Back east they actualy cover large cities, like a paid one , while the vol in Texas cover more rural cities and do not have the equipment like a vol back east

Normaly

Forum Member

Don't know much about near McKinney.

When I was looking over there my wife's office was going to be just west of Dallas in Irving, so I concentrated my search in Denton and tarrant counties within 45 minutes of her office.

As Fire49 stated, the vast majority of the area around Dallas until you get an hour out, or more, are career or primarily career. My suggestion would be to simply get a good map and look up some of the departments north of McKinney, or northern denton county and see what you hit.

Thread Information