Forum Member

Default Dive/Water Rescue & Then Some Trailer...

Our county has been forming a dive team and our dept has 6 members so far trained. One of their proposals is to get 28' enclosed trailer to store dive/water rescue equipment, a Polaris 6x6, rehab area etc. It could also be used for a small supply of haz-mat supplies, command center, possible fill station, brush fire tools....
    I was looking to see if anyone uses something like this or close to this and if you could post any pictures or websiter links on how you have it set up so we can get a better idea of what we want/need on this, if we are able to purchase one.

I have the same post in the general forum.
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

Forum Member

Contact Todd Rost of Adventure Specialties (http://adventurespecialties.com/). He is my captain on the Faribault Fire Department, and also runs this business. He can give you a pretty good idea of what our department has set up, as well as what he has helped other departments to do. Even if you don't buy anything from him, he is an excellent resource at helping you think this through.

Rich

MembersZone Subscriber

If at all possible I wouldn't get a trailer, I would get something that you can drive. We have a trailer and it does carry most of our gear (some has been moved to a heavy rescue) and out inflatable, but it is slow to hook up and respond with. Also you can't get geared up while enroute in a trailer where with the rescue you can. (i know, seatbelts, but you can get started safely).
    Brand new off the lot this vehicle from our mutual aid group cost $ 65,000 to purchase and finish. 3 years ago. So it isn't much more today. The department got a grant from Fireman's fund to cover the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

We would pull it with our squad (2001 4700 International). Does anyone have pics of an ambulance converted into a dive truck? This was another suggestion I gave the group. Pull a shorter trailer behind that, then guys could suit up i
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sq51kmg365 View Post
    Does anyone have pics of an ambulance converted into a dive truck? This was another suggestion I gave the group.

This isn't the best photo, but here is a pic of our old dive rig. It did give you a place to change, but it was a poor tow vehicle. I would recomend getting a rig that is more designed for towing if you want to tow a big/heavy trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information