Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Milwaukee fire

Forum Member

Default Milwaukee fire

Hello,

Just a question or the local guys in WI. Im not from WI but I have a possible job opportunity to get hired with Milwaukee fire in the near future. Does anybody have an opinion about this department and the possibility of living in the city? Not sure how it is there. Oh and what do you think about the possibility of the residency requirment be abboloshed? Apparently that bill is suppose to get voted on next week. Any insight about this department would be great, like i said im unfamiliar with this region and department. thank you!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firehousefreakshow View Post
    Hello,

Just a question or the local guys in WI. Im not from WI but I have a possible job opportunity to get hired with Milwaukee fire in the near future. Does anybody have an opinion about this department and the possibility of living in the city? Not sure how it is there. Oh and what do you think about the possibility of the residency requirment be abboloshed? Apparently that bill is suppose to get voted on next week. Any insight about this department would be great, like i said im unfamiliar with this region and department. thank you!!
    I know zero about the department, but i can tell you this, I live in Chicago, have lived in NY. To me chicago is the greatest city out there, probably because ive spent most of my adult life here, buuuuut i would happily live in milwaukee. I have family up there and its a great city with a lot to do, just really awesome. I know nothing about the politics and the like, just an observation on the city.

Forum Member

sure itd be a great plcae to work if you want to be a scab. they did more to reck professional firefighters than anyothers. worthless, all of them. boot them all from the IAFF, they are not with any of us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sawman View Post
    sure itd be a great plcae to work if you want to be a scab. they did more to reck professional firefighters than anyothers. worthless, all of them. boot them all from the IAFF, they are not with any of us.
    What does it matter if you are union or not a firefighter is a firefighter regardless if you are union or not. We are still a brotherhood that do the greatest job in the world. I know more than enough people that would be more than happy work for a non union department just to be a paid firefighter.
    Last edited by jtucker1384; 03-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Forum Member

okay obviously im not familiar with the place. In Kentucky things are run a little differently but that's besides the point. Im not to sure why you think they are scabs?? And why aren't they worth being in the IAFF?? I'm not asking to argue with you I just want to hear those comments backed up a little more. I personally don't see a problem with being un-represented. There're plus's and minus's to everything. Like there residency deal. I believe that firefighters and police should have the choice if they want to live in the city or not. The firefighters should beable to decide where they want to raise there families. What does it matter?? I could maybe understand a residency requirement if you were an officer of a chief. But just a firefighter, please. Is there anyone out there with a little more insight on the topic!!!! I'm trying to decide if I want to work in Milwaukee or not. My department is laying off and underpaying. I need to get out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firehousefreakshow View Post
    Hello,

I'll address some of the questions and provide some insight to some of the comments here. I am not in Milwaukee, but was offered a job there and do have some insight in general. Just saying I don't have all the answers but can help you out here.

Regarding residency, there is a bill in the state to eliminate the requirement to live in the city. Right now I belive this does only affect Milwaukee and not the state, that said, there is a good possibility that residency gets repealed. Now, if not, living in the city isn't all too bad either, there are good and bad places in the city and if hired you would probably get some insight. I believe there are several areas with many cops and FF's living there and are nice areas. On the flip side, having residency does help when looking for folks to help with issues like to protest staffing reductions, brownouts, etc. It is people with a vested interest as neighbors, not just outsiders working the job. Just have to look at pros and cons.

As for the dept itself, it is the largest in the state, they are very aggressive and well trained. They do see a lot of action and a variety of calls. They have a HAZMAT house, a HURT station, etc. Stations are called Engine houses. They work a 24 on, 48 off schedule.

Milwaukee is the largets city in the state and there is a lot you can do in the city and area. If you like beer, then Milwaukee would be like a utopia, there are many microbrews and even the home of Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, etc. There are sports from MLB Milwaukee Brewers, NBA Bucks, to AAA hockey. There is a zoo, museum, art scene and so forth. Milwaukee is the host to Summerfest, the biggest music festival in the Midwest, and the State Fair is also in the area. So yeah, basically there is plenty to see and do in the area and Chicago is close by as well.

The issue you see about MFD being called scabs and should be booted from the IAFF is because MFD endorsed the current governor who just signed legislation stripping unions of collective bargaining. Police and fire have been carved out, but the issue has been a catalyst for union issues in the country. The thing is that MFD was between a rock and hard place, their mayor was the Democratic candidate for Gov and the current Gov was the County Executive. MFD sustained many cuts under the mayor, from staffing to closing a ladder as well as empty promises. The current Gov did approach the union and did say he would support open residency, supported protective services, etc. The Gov didn't say he intended to strip bargaining rights like he just did during his campaigning. However, MFD was in a pickle and they endorsed the candidate they felt best represented their values. It is not MFD fault for the state issues here, but it is tough to back someone who never backed you, like they experienced with their mayor.

If you had the opportunity to take the job, then take it, especially if facing layoffs. I won't make any guarantees here, because the gov did cut shared revenue significantly which is money communities use to fund services like police and fire. You may also see a higher pct going to benefits, but that does depend. As mentioned police and fire have been carved out of the anti-union bill that just passed in the state, but doesn't mean they are out of the woods either. Overall though, had I not just completed my physical for my job now and that this happens to be my hometown, I would not have hesitated to take a job in Milwaukee.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Thank you jccraby 3084 your insight is very much appreciated!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Freakshow if you don't mind me asking what number were you on the list?

Forum Member

Looks like MFD will be having a Oct. 31st recruit class of about 40 or so candidates contingent upon physicals and drug tests.

Thread Information