MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Legislation Reauthorizing FIRE Act Introduced

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...act-introduced

Hopefully Congress will pass it during this session.

Forum Member

Important that it appears bi-partisan. We know that the entire federal grant world is about to take additonal hits.....as it should. Rodeo cowboy festivals, doll museums, signs for forest pathways....enough already. The country is bleeding to death

However, the Fire Act grants are exactly the grant programs that do need to be supported. So much of what the grants funds are used for is manufactured here in the USA.

Besides, if the federal government continues to flood the fire departments with a flood of regulations, requirements, mandates that they must comply to, then they are going to have to help financially support their ability to meet those requirments.

Frankly, there needs to be a temporary moratorium of new laws, regulations, etc from many federal agencies that pass them on down the line and end up on the departments.

heck, give NFPA, NIMS and a few others a few years off. The nation can survive without the creation of more safety laws for a period of time. We are law safe enough for awhile until the nation can adjust. Besides continuing on as before is undeniably a plan that will not work and is unacceptable.

Its catch our breath time from those agencies in my opinion. We are safe enough to get through quite a few years in fact. We do not need to keep adding more codes and quidelines that translate into more money to make the laws, and meet the laws. Just quit doing it for awhile.

Forum Member

Funding level is still up for debate but putting it into place for the next 5 years is definitely a step in the right direction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Funding level is still up for debate but putting it into place for the next 5 years is definitely a step in the right direction.
    What the caucus needs to do is slam dunk this to our advantage NOW!

To do this they need to make the case that 70% of the departments are volunteers and stop the favoritism flow towards the career departments and return the participation levels to where it was originally.

Remember, they have to sell this in a different way as the political traction is slipping away from the way it used to be. The caucus needs to get more volunteer representation in there to give the impression of what its going to take to win this.

I was interviewed for almost 30 mintues by Newsweek magazine two days ago and we discussed the vital need for the emergency services grants to stay in place, whereas the funding for fluff projects, social interests, and most of the rest of the non essential projects be eliminated till the country gets on its feet. That means almost all grants except for the emergency services ones as has been proposed.

Forum Member

To make that happen we need to be louder than anyone else. So few belong to NVFC, IAFC, and the like so our representation never makes it up the food chain to DC in the volumes that the rest do. What's funny is that most career departments need the equipment more than more bodies but their push says otherwise. Of course it's the more pressing issue but so are jobs in all industries.

MembersZone Subscriber

5minute letter. Make it personnal, short/sweet is good. What the program has done for your FD, why need to continue it, etc. Spellcheck it.

Send it thru their websites. Every Senator and Congressman has one (remember you have 2x Senator and 1x Congressman).

Senate
    http://senate.gov/

Congress
    http://house.gov/

Forum Member

I would hope that each of us has developed a contact at our Senator and Reps office, and that would be a great place to start.
    Last edited by Limeforever; 03-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Forum Member

Hmmm, Seems he doesnt know what the AFG grants really do......

Oregon's Senator Jeff Merkley

Dear E......

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to cuts in SAFER and FIRE grant funding. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like you, I have serious concerns about the funding bill (H.R. 1) the House of Representatives passed on February 19. With one in ten Oregonians still out of work, my top priority is job creation and we need to make smart investments in our communities so businesses can hire more people and get the economy back on track. Unfortunately, that priority seems to have been lost with the passage of this bill. Instead of focusing on creating jobs, this bill slashes investments and pursues ideological battles that have nothing to do with improving the employment outlook or the economy as a whole. In fact, this plan would risk a double-dip recession and compromise our ability to compete with other nations in the future.

Because I am convinced that it would damage the economy now and long into the future, and would harm many working families and small businesses, I voted against H.R. 1 on March 9, 2011. I strongly believe that although we do face serious budget problems, we cannot afford to recklessly cut spending in a way that jeopardizes jobs and the economy. Without a doubt, the best way to reduce our deficits is to grow our economy and get Americans back to work. I will certainly keep your concerns and thoughts in mind during the coming weeks as I work with my Senate colleagues to pass a responsible funding bill.

Again, thank you for your input. I hope you will continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
    United States Senator

Forum Member

REPLY:

Manufacturing and sales of much needed fire and safety equipment funded by this program CREATES jobs.

Sincerely,

Intelligence.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    REPLY:

Manufacturing and sales of much needed fire and safety equipment funded by this program CREATES jobs.

Sincerely,

Intelligence.
    I'm sorry, intelligence is not in the Washington office right now. We do not expect him back for quite some time. Please try back later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCCFire09 View Post
    Hmmm, Seems he doesnt know what the AFG grants really do......

Oregon's Senator Jeff Merkley

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
    United States Senator
    Hmmm, got the exact form letter today from our newest Oregon Senator. He is obviously not in touch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    Hmmm, got the exact form letter today from our newest Oregon Senator. He is obviously not in touch.
    Sounds to me like he needs to join the Congressional Fire Caucus and have a few like you make an appt. to bend his ear in person. While you are at it ask him how he supports ""71 million in foreign aid grants going out in one day last week. Ask him if that created any jobs for Americans?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

REPLY:

Sincerely,

Intelligence.
    Just sent my letter to Senator Scott Brown thanking him for co-sponsoring. Also made a pitch to increase the AFG which is desperately needed by our smaller volunteer depts.
    Ed

Forum Member

From what I understand, things looking pretty good.

The continuing resolution proposed as of today funds AFG at $405M and SAFER at $405M. Final voting on the FY11 Appropriations bill will occur on Friday, in time to be signed by the President before the current short-term funding provision expires and the government is forced to shut down. This proposal has been agreed to in principle by the Senate, House of Representatives and White House.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I understand, things looking pretty good.

The continuing resolution proposed as of today funds AFG at $405M and SAFER at $405M. Final voting on the FY11 Appropriations bill will occur on Friday, in time to be signed by the President before the current short-term funding provision expires and the government is forced to shut down. This proposal has been agreed to in principle by the Senate, House of Representatives and White House.
    That would be a breath of fresh air and a colective sigh of relief from many.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Any removal of funds from the wasteful SAFER program over to AFG is a sigh of relief for me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Setting Priorities! Repeal PEPFAR with PEPFAF

As our President and Congressional leaders settle in to tackle the deficit problems and start taking an axe to the budget, I would like to offer up a proposal for consideration.

There is a program of Foreign Aid funded by US Taxpayer dollars that is called the Presidentís Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and USAID . In this morning edition of grants.gov, I offer for your consideration the following programs and amounts of US taxpayer dollars being expended outside the US Borders for the benefit of those other than citizens of the US:

http://www07.grants.gov/search/searc...EW&oppId=73733
    Providing Capacity-Building Assistance to Government and Indigenous Congolese Organizations to Improve HIV/AIDS Service Delivery in the Democratic Republic of Congo under the Presidentís Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) - $25 million

http://www07.grants.gov/search/searc...EW&oppId=70613
    Technical Assistance for the Continued Sustainable Provision of Comprehensive Quality HIV/AIDS Services in the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia under the Presidentís Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) -
    $50 million

http://www07.grants.gov/search/searc...EW&oppId=78773
    Graduation with Resilience to Achieve Sustainable Development (GRAD) n Ethiopia - $23.4 million

http://www07.grants.gov/search/searc...EW&oppId=87253
    USAID -Agency for International Development - Kazakhstan USAID-Almaty
    Judicial Strengthening Program Grant - $5 million

By my count that is $103.4 million of our taxpayer dollars going for health initiatives, agricultural assistance and justice grants in 3rd world countries in just one day! This in spite of the fact that we want to cut Medicaid and Medicare spending and SS benefits to our own poor and disabled citizens, we have hunger and starvation in great evidence and we are closing our prisons and releasing convicted felons back to our communities.

I would propose that a new initiative be started by our President. He can call it the Presidents Emergency Plan for American's First ( PEPFAF)!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Islandfire and the other Chiefs in Maine have a Senator on their side as evidenced here:

http://collins.senate.gov/public/con...TOKEN=55859130

Special thanks to Chief Plante from Berwick FD for bringing this article to my attentions. I wish we had 50 others to post with it.!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Islandfire and the other Chiefs in Maine have a Senator on their side as evidenced here:

Special thanks to Chief Plante from Berwick FD for bringing this article to my attentions. I wish we had 50 others to post with it.!
    Senator Susan Collins has always been a huge supporter of the Fire & EMS services in our state. She come from rural northern Maine and understands the pressures we face of providing emergency services on lean budgets.

Yet she is on the tea party target list as too liberal a republican.

Forum Member

USA today mentioned that as part of the deal to stop the shutdown one of the cuts was 700+ million from first responder grants in the DHS. Any insight?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    USA today mentioned that as part of the deal to stop the shutdown one of the cuts was 700+ million from first responder grants in the DHS. Any insight?
    You must have missed Slys post above:

"From what I understand, things looking pretty good.

The continuing resolution proposed as of today funds AFG at $405M and SAFER at $405M. Final voting on the FY11 Appropriations bill will occur on Friday, in time to be signed by the President before the current short-term funding provision expires and the government is forced to shut down. This proposal has been agreed to in principle by the Senate, House of Representatives and White House. "

I believe what you are seeing is their talk about the 2012 budget, not 2011. I do know that $1.2 billion on law enforcement side appears that it may be on the way out the door.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

The 2011 federal budget just passed the House & Senate. Its going to the President for his signature.

As Sly said its going to be $405 million for AFG and $405 million for SAFER for 2011.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post

I do have to offer the great state of Maine, Mr Allan Ian Dodge (a personal friend of mine, I say insultingly. LOL) heading to challenge for US Senate against GOP incumbent Olympia Snowe. (A RINO and gotta go!)

Forum Member

From my political end, it looks like attention is completely gone from public safety support. The continued fallout from 9/11 still continues. Plus add to that the fact that all in the Fire Act except SAFER are valuable programs. There are a lot of positives like the obvious and the not so obvious that the Fire Service constantly is adding regulations, codes and laws that the departments must meet, so the Fire Service has got to help out if they want to make those demands.

What'd they think, that the fire departments should absorb those financial demands all alone?

This nation is waay too overregulated. It needs to take a few years off.

There is also some suspicion that the Homeland Security Grants may be covering some other group like Transportation.

Forum Member

So what will be gone with FEMA first-responder grants cut by $786 million? Anyone know whats not being funded?

Thread Information