Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Purchasing Uniforms ?

How are you issued uniforms ? We currently get new uniforms every year but with budget issues we are looking to save money in our uniform line item. We have already switched from Nomex to 100 % cotton to cut costs. We are now considering giving each employee an annual uniform stipend and requiring them to buy/replace uniforms as needed from this amount. This amount would be significantly less than what is annually budgeted per person hence the budget savings. If an employee doesnt need to replace any uniform items that year he/she pockets the stipend. With that in mind..........what is your policy ?

New uniforms as needed, turn in old/damaged for new ?

New uniforms annually ?

Purchased using allotted clothing allowance ?

Something else ?

Thanks !

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

When our members graduate from recruit school, they're issued four each of the following:
    • Short sleeve dress shirts
    • Long sleeve dress shirts
    • Short sleeve t-shirts
    • Long sleeve t-shirts
    • Sweatshirts
    • BDU and/or "straight leg" pants (members choice)
    • Red Wing, Haix, or Globe station boots (members choice)

Members are allowed to visit logistics as needed to replace any of these items on a one-for-one basis, although they'll start asking a lot of questions if you're up there every few weeks for some new shirts or pants. It's expected that your issued station wear will last you at least a year, the dress shirts & pants longer. Boots can only be replaced every three years, however, unless an emergency arises.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We also get new items each year, usually a couple of pants, t-shirts, polo shirts, and 1 dress shirt. We get a stipend each year for shoes/belts. We have to turn in old items for new ones.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

In my department, the only uniform items that we are issued are TOG and helmets. We are provided an annual uniform allowance with which to purchase whatever uniform pieces are needed. Non-issued items will usually be replaced if specifically damage in the line of duty rather than simply "wearing out" while on a call.

Seems to work fairly well other than the occasional "variation" of the normal station wear that shows up from certain individuals since we aren't restricted to specific brands.

we currently get an annual allowance of around $150 plus an additional $100 we can use towards replacement of our boots (or use it for uniforms). In addition we get $100 bi-annually for uniform maintenance.. All our uniforms are purchased on contract from the state vendor (lion Apparel). the only things we are issued is PPE (fire Shirts, helmets & shelters, etc.)
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by mcl312 View Post
    How are you issued uniforms ? We currently get new uniforms every year but with budget issues we are looking to save money in our uniform line item. We have already switched from Nomex to 100 % cotton to cut costs. We are now considering giving each employee an annual uniform stipend and requiring them to buy/replace uniforms as needed from this amount. This amount would be significantly less than what is annually budgeted per person hence the budget savings. If an employee doesnt need to replace any uniform items that year he/she pockets the stipend. With that in mind..........what is your policy ?

New uniforms as needed, turn in old/damaged for new ?

New uniforms annually ?

Purchased using allotted clothing allowance ?

Something else ?

Thanks !
    This alone will most likely end up costing you money. Nomex lasts, cotton fades. I know of a department locally that went with Nomex uniforms almost 4 years ago and they are still wearing the original sets. Now obviously this doesn't take into account having to replace uniforms if they are damaged, but as far as everyday wear and tear goes, Nomex will actually save you money.

With my career department we have a uniform allowance of $300 annually. After one year on the job we are issued a Class A (not from out annual allowance) and anything that needs to be added or changed to it after that is up to use to purchase. The only thing we cannot buy with our allowance is turnout gear.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Upon hire, we are issued:

5 pairs duty pants.
    5 duty polos.
    3 short-sleeved dressed shirts.
    2 long-sleeved dressed shirts (Sr. Firefighters/Officers only)
    1 tie & tie clasp (Sr. Firefighters/Officers Only)
    1 pair work boots (up to $100)
    1 3-season duty coat w/removable liner.
    2 shields
    2 nameplates
    1 belt
    3 short-sleeved t-shirts
    2 long-sleeved t-shirts

We receive a $300 per year uniform allowance which can be used on any department issued item. It cannot be used on non-issued items such as pullovers or rain gear.

We usually receive 3 new polos a year and a few new t-shirts which are not charged to our uniform allowance.

There is discussion at this time about switching panst, which likely will not come out of our uniform allowance as it will be required of all employees to switch.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Default Class "A's"

Here's my question about uniforms.....How many out there are issued Class "A's' ?? Currently the members buy theirs but it has been requested that the District lend $$'s so they can buy. I'm came from a department that issued them (Class A's) and would like to do the same here. Yes??? ...No?????
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

[QUOTE=JayDudley;1262877]Here's my question about uniforms.....How many out there are issued Class "A's' ?? Currently the members buy theirs but it has been requested that the District lend $$'s so they can buy. I'm came from a department that issued them (Class A's) and would like to do the same here. Yes??? ...No?????[/QUOT

My dept does. They just budgeted for it. I think it took a couple of budget cycles for this to happen. It didn't happen overnight.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Here's my question about uniforms.....How many out there are issued Class "A's' ??
    Yes, at both work and the VFD.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

At my full-time gig officers and senior firefighters are issued long-sleeved shirts, ties and dress pants. officers are issued dress shoes.

Only the Chief officers are issued dress coats.

At my volunteer department, only the Chief officers are issued dress shirts and pants. They are also issued dress coats.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Default Class "A's"

Our Firefighters have taken the bull by the horns and had decided to purchase their own Class A uniforms. I think that with a District where money is tight it is admirable of them to do so. I find it a pleasure to work with such a fine bunch and as someone who had worked with a large paid department find it a bit refreshing.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

We get an annual uniform allowance of $800 for purchase and upkeep of station wear and formal uniforms. We are issued coveralls and boots. We don't have a trade in for worn out uniform items.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Recruits are issued 2 each pants, 2 LS and 2 SS shirts for the basic class C (work) uniform, 1 each everything for class A (Winter and summer pant, 1 LS and 1 SS shirt, blouse coat, hat, overcoat, belt, nametags). Members responsible for their own socks, shoes/boots, work hats, T-shirts, etc. Also, if you want something "extra" over the basic work uniform, such as EMS/cargo pants instead of straight leg, or the optional shorts/golf shirt summer uniform, member pays.

After that first year, we are given 2 clothing checks. One is a maintenance check, for dry cleaning, repairs/alterations, etc. The other is a replacement check, for buying new stuff. I think we now get $1000 total, or $500 each check. Checks are issued dependent upon passing an annual uniform "inspection". Usually a joke (you must display the prescribed # of shirts/pants/etc.), but some chiefs use it to bust stones for the problem children.

We used to (before my time) have a "order form" system where every year you had so much $ to spend off of a set list of items. Guys were spending/wasting every bit on whatever just to have their $ worth, or they'd have to answer to the Capt./Chief/etc. (God help you if you didn't order your fill and you later were found wanting in your uniform.) I know some of the older guys said you could get more than just uniforms including watches, sweatshirts/sweaters etc. and guys who didn't need anything would order watches and junk to give out as Christmas presents. Other stories hold that stations would have lockers of spare uniforms in every possible size because guys HAD to order crap they didn't need.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

We get an allowance each year and purchase what we need from the uniform supplier. We get what really amounts to uniform "credits" not money. Each item has an amount and is taken from your "bank". This covers all classes of uniforms, station boots, gear bags, cheep flashlights, and rain coats. It is a pretty good system.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Upon completion of the academy our Candidates receive:
    -1 Full Class A Uniform (including blouse, shirt, tie, etc)
    -4 Short sleeve t-shirts
    -2 Long Sleeve t-shirts
    -1 Job shirt
    -4 BDU pants
    -2 Polo shirts
    -2 Class B collared shirts (with sew on patch, name plate)
    -1 pair station boots

You can go down to the commissary and exchange items on a 1-for-1 basis, from normal wear and tear. We can trade (I think...) 4 t-shirts (LS or SS) a year, 1 collared shirt a year, 2 pairs of pants a year, station boots every 2 years, and Class A's are on a case-by-case basis. If something gets ruined on a call/contaminated, etc. it's replaced without going against your "allowance". We also get $350 a year if we want to purchase additional clothing items (our commissary has different shirts, sweatshirts, etc), or things for our bunker gear which our department doesn't supply (IE: gloves, hoods, flashlights, are all up to the individual FF to purchase...only restriction is they are NFPA). We pay out of pocket and then turn the reciept in....it gets tacked on to our next pay check, works out well, actually

Thread Information