Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber wmfrffmedic's Avatar

Default West Metro Fire-Rescue (Lakewood/Denver, CO) hiring

The application process is open for the 2011 hiring process for West Metro Fire-Rescue in Lakewood, CO. We are a 15 station fully paid fire department. We have 9 ambulances and do most, if not all, of our own transports. We have Technical Rescue, Dive, HazMat, TEMS, Special Events and Wildland teams and are the host agency for the USAR CO-TF1. According to the website the starting salary range is from $43,398-66,766 w/ paramedics making a top pay of $76,766 currently. See http://www.westmetrofire.org/index.aspx?NID=125 for further info.
    If a fire is an emergency to the fire department, who do they call?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wmfrffmedic View Post
    The application process is open for the 2011 hiring process for West Metro Fire-Rescue in Lakewood, CO. We are a 15 station fully paid fire department. We have 9 ambulances and do most, if not all, of our own transports. We have Technical Rescue, Dive, HazMat, TEMS, Special Events and Wildland teams and are the host agency for the USAR CO-TF1. According to the website the starting salary range is from $43,398-66,766 w/ paramedics making a top pay of $76,766 currently. See http://www.westmetrofire.org/index.aspx?NID=125 for further info.
    Is West Metro looking to hire a specific amount of new recruits or just establishing a new list for future hiring?? Either way I'm in!!

Thanks for the info

Forum Member

Default benefits

sounds like a pretty good deal. any information on what the retirement plan is for West Metro? Is it similar to a rural/metro department in that it is run by a private agency, or is it funded by the city/state? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time!

Forum Member

Our retirement plan is run through the Fire & Police Pension Association (FPPA) of Colorado and our contributions are matched by the organization.

Forum Member

Quick question here... Is the current application for Firefighter Paramedic only? or FF/EMT as well?
    I just checked out the site, and the link for "Now accepting Firefighter applications" leads to an application for "Apprentice Fire Medic" Just wondering what the requirements are...
    D

Forum Member

ShortHaul,

Look for the minimum requirements link on our site and it should clear things up. West Metro only requires that you be certified as an EMT-B 30 days prior to hire. Our academies generally consist of a good mix of people ranging from those with no experience, to career FFs and FF/PMs from other departments. It's all in how you perform in the testing process.

The Department will also pay for you to go to Paramedic School if you're not yet certified.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Forum Member

I went, and I took the test 3 years ago. Sounds like it will be similar if you took the test last time around. SAT-style general knowledge questions; high-school level math, reading comprehension, problem solving.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Tacoma View Post
    I went, and I took the test 3 years ago. Sounds like it will be similar if you took the test last time around. SAT-style general knowledge questions; high-school level math, reading comprehension, problem solving.
    All this and it's timed too (think 2 hrs?) so there really isn't much time to screw around with questions. Watch your time mgmt.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Member

They did hand out practice questions. Google some online SAT practice questions and you should be fine.

Forum Member

All they did was hand out pages from the Learning Express Firefighter Exam. Mind you, the study session was not provided by West Metro but was provided by Sylvan Learning Center. I honestly didn't find the study session helpful at all...

MembersZone Subscriber

Info copied below from our website in regards to the Physical Agility Test practice sessions coming up this month. If you've never touched a fire hose before, this familiarity session may benefit you as you work on getting physically prepared for the test.

PAT Observation and Practice - Begins Soon!
    This opportunity begins on April 18th - 28th. No reservation needed.

*You can come as many times as you want
    *See the Testing & Hiring Calendar for the specific dates and times (on website)
    *You are able to observe our West Metro Fire Fighters run the course
    *You are not allowed to run the full course
    *You can practice sections, but you cannot sequence them together
    *This is a station by station practice (if time allows)
    *This is for all applicants to become familiar with our new course and take the opportunity to practice a couple of the PAT sections.

http://www.westmetrofire.org/index.aspx?NID=125

any idea on how many are anticipated to apply and how many they'll probably be taking? It's a 13 hour drive for me if I don't fly and I'll probably have a little bit of money invested and I'd like to have an idea of what's in store and how the chances weigh out.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Typically we receive between 800-1,200 applications each testing cycle. We only test every two years, and have annual academies that take place during March of each year. Currently we have 5 recruits in an academy that are off our old list.

This testing process will establish the new list and the top candidates would then be selected for academy March of 2012, assuming there is an operational need for an academy of course. On that note, command staff won't have an idea of how many will/should be hired in March 2012 as there are just too many variables to peg that number one year out.

Thread Information