Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Medical marijuana

Someone had previously posted about having a medical marijuana card while being employed by a fire department. I am wondering that if I were to get a medical card now, while I am 18 and years from starting my career. If I were to get it now and then in a year let it expire, would it affect me in the future? Even if I were to pass the drug tests and was no longer a medical patient?

Forum Member

You're an idiot.

Forum Member

so I've been told

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by musc1616 View Post
    so I've been told
    So was I.... when I was 15-16 and didn't know what I wanted in life. Unless you ACTUALLY need it for some reason, which I doubt, don't bother because I am sure most FD's will realize you didn't have bad cancer at the age of 18. If you do need it I suggest fixing the problem first and then getting on a department. Otherwise, don't waste your time because at 18 you are looking for an excuse to be juvenile.

Forum Member

On that note if it is actually needed sorry to hear that.

Forum Member

Why do you need a card? Just smoke it and stop smoking it later. Admit to some use and thats it. I don't know why Mary Jane is so bad, booze does 10x more harm.

If you have a medical condition serious enough to warrant a prescription for MJ, then you are probably not healthy enough to be a firefighter.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    If you have a medical condition serious enough to warrant a prescription for MJ, then you are probably not healthy enough to be a firefighter.
    QFE...my thoughts exactly...

...and if you do not have a medical condition, but are trying to obtain a prescription anyway, you do not belong in the fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You're under the misguided impression that they only give medical marijuana prescriptions to people who have a medical need for it like any other prescription drug. The way it actually works is this:

"Hey Doc, i want weed"
    "Ok, here's your prescription"
    "Thanks doc."

I know. I have friends who have done it. It is a total joke. And as far it relates to applying for a job... It says have you used marijuana. The answer is yes whether some quack doctor told you it was ok or not. It's a yes or no question. Not a "well kind of" question.

That said, yes the weed is harmless. Yes alcohol is much more damaging and causes lots of actual death. But until the law catches up to that reality, tough $hit.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    It says have you used marijuana. The answer is yes whether some quack doctor told you it was ok or not. It's a yes or no question. Not a "well kind of" question.
    Just a side note. A packet that I've had to fill out asked something to the extent of "Have you ever experimented with marijuana other than prescribed by a doctor?"

So some places are looking at the medical marijuana a little different than recreational use. I don't know how the departments look.

Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that there are many people who haven't smoked marijuana and I wonder if you say you never smoked it, if that makes them think you are automatically a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    I find it hard to believe that there are many people who haven't smoked marijuana and I wonder if you say you never smoked it, if that makes them think you are automatically a liar.
    I have never smoked or touched the stuff. I'm worried that they won't believe me when I say that. It just seems like such a rare thing in today's society.

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    I have never smoked or touched the stuff. I'm worried that they won't believe me when I say that. It just seems like such a rare thing in today's society.
    Ditto. But given the background checks I've been through, apparently they believed me.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Add me to the list. Never touched the stuff...and never even smoked a cigarette. Don't see the need for either one...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Ditto. But given the background checks I've been through, apparently they believed me.
    Well that's some good news. Plus it'll show I'm not lying on a poly.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187
    Add me to the list. Never touched the stuff...and never even smoked a cigarette. Don't see the need for either one...
    And the list grows! I completely agree with you. Don't smoke cigarettes either. Just a waste of time, money and health.

Someone had previously posted about having a medical marijuana card while being employed by a fire department. I am wondering that if I were to get a medical card now, while I am 18 and years from starting my career. If I were to get it now and then in a year let it expire, would it affect me in the future? Even if I were to pass the drug tests and was no longer a medical patient?
    Grow up.

How is weed harmless? You are pulling smoke into your lungs on purpose.

Never smoked weed either.
    FF/Paramedic

We dont want scumbags like you. Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    Never smoked it once in my life. Where do I p iss? Want some hair? And I really dont give a schit if people believe me or not.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I am sure that you can obtain a card, however, I am sure a background investigation (if and when you get to that point) will reveal other "issues". As you can see MOST firefighters do not smoke pot as it's against every department's policy. We do not hire people who feel they need to smoke it, even those who have a prescription for it.

Simply put, when an agency hires you they inherit everything about you. This includes pre-existing medical injuries and psych issues. Why would a department take a chance on someone who has the need for medical marijuana? Most will not....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information