Forum Member

Default Truck Company equipment "MUST HAVES"

Trying to get opinions on tools or equipment a truck Co MUST have. A good truck co crew is only as good as the tools they have access to and the knowlege of use of those tools. So what do you all think is essential to have on a truck co.
    Last edited by thomasldixon33; 03-14-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

Common sense and experience.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trkco1 View Post
    Common sense and experience.
    Very true my friend
    .....Leather Head N6A

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

To me, it seems that starting with the NFPA and ISO standard equipment lists would give you the basic needs. From there you should look at specific local need brought on by any special construction styles or materials.

My volly FD doesn't have a truck company but we carry extra truck equipment on our engines. Things like FDNY Roof Hooks, Boston Rakes, San Francisco Pikes, LA Rubbish hooks, and additional pike poles. We also carry PPV fans, chain and K12 style saws, and extrication equipment.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I'm looking for opinions on what YOU would have on your truck co. Forget about ISO ratings or the NFPA police. From experience what have you deemed MUST HAVE truck CO tools/equipment.
    .....Leather Head N6A

MembersZone Subscriber

Beyond real Halligans and good hooks and various saws for your area, one thing that is low upkeep is a duckbill lock breaker. It seems that it takes forever to get replacement shears for boltcutters and they become damaged when going up against a good hard steel in a padlock. The duckbill is awesome with an 8lb. flathead or sledge. It works best with two people and that is a downside at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Several 6" New York hooks (all steel) , a 6 trash hook with a D handle , three sets of irons plus a set of "heavy irons (sledge mated with an over size pro bar) a 4' clemmens ? hook (the one with the hook bill that will cut thin sheet metal) with a D handle also. also quality bolt cutters. Ill quit now , way to much to list.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomasldixon33 View Post
    I'm looking for opinions on what YOU would have on your truck co. Forget about ISO ratings or the NFPA police. From experience what have you deemed MUST HAVE truck CO tools/equipment.
    Sorry I wasted your time. You see in MY state we still use ISO, so we attempt to keep the minimum ISO, or suitable replacement, equipment on our rigs.

Back to your normally scheduled look for help from other people on how to supply your truck. I guess we have a different way of doing things we look at our local area and buy the additional equipment WE deem appropriate.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sorry I wasted your time. You see in MY state we still use ISO, so we attempt to keep the minimum ISO, or suitable replacement, equipment on our rigs.

Back to your normally scheduled look for help from other people on how to supply your truck. I guess we have a different way of doing things we look at our local area and buy the additional equipment WE deem appropriate.
    ..... somebody is a little grumpy!!! Be happy man! We as well are ISO rated and are set to standards by the NFPA... and I'm just a tillerman so i honestly have little say in what we put in our trucks. I was just curious to see what others opinions where on tools to have on a truck.. listen to some Cher and eat some ice cream.. That should take you down a couple notches.. happy tuesday!!!
    .....Leather Head N6A

Forum Member

2 Rotary saws. 1 for metal and one for wood.

Forum Member

PRO BARS (often imitated but never duplicated)
    6' Halligan hooks
    I personally can not stand D handle hooks. I some how manage to always jam my hand in them everytime I use them.

Ground Ladders.
    would love to have a 45 or 50 footer for those few times when they are needed.
    Personally I love 16 or 18 ft straight ladders perfect for laddering the 2nd floor of SFDs and lighter then a 2 fly 24 ft EXT ladder.
    Another type of ladder that we carry that I love is a small 14 ft ext ladder. Perfect to take inside for getting up to the attic. A whole lot better then the 10ft folding ladders.

Items I would leave in the closet back at the station

TNT tool
    Claw tool
    Hux bar
    Holligan bars
    Fog Nozzle for the ladder pipe
    EMS equipment (Joke)

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    PRO BARS (often imitated but never duplicated)
    6' Halligan hooks
    I personally can not stand D handle hooks. I some how manage to always jam my hand in them everytime I use them.

Ground Ladders.
    would love to have a 45 or 50 footer for those few times when they are needed.
    Personally I love 16 or 18 ft straight ladders perfect for laddering the 2nd floor of SFDs and lighter then a 2 fly 24 ft EXT ladder.
    Another type of ladder that we carry that I love is a small 14 ft ext ladder. Perfect to take inside for getting up to the attic. A whole lot better then the 10ft folding ladders.

Items I would leave in the closet back at the station

TNT tool
    Claw tool
    Hux bar
    Holligan bars
    Fog Nozzle for the ladder pipe
    EMS equipment (Joke)
    WHAT HE SAID!!! I think I have found my long, lost twin!!! Don't forget the proper saws like my man from LI said a few posts up. That sums it up!
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 03-16-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Forum Member

I agree with 2 saws, although my selection would be different.

I like the rotary saw for metal of concrete. For venting a wood frame roof I prefer a carbide tipped chain saw. Further I prefer it NOT to have the depth gauge chain guard. I think if you are venting a roof and you can't tell the difference between decking and rafters or trusses, it is time to head back to rookie school and be retrained.

But like everything else in the fire service to each his own...

Stihl use to have a great deal on saws for the fire service. We got a rotary saw and a chain saw, both set up for the fire service, from a Stihl dealer for less than the rotary saw from a fire equipment dealer.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I agree with 2 saws, although my selection would be different.

I like the rotary saw for metal of concrete. For venting a wood frame roof I prefer a carbide tipped chain saw. Further I prefer it NOT to have the depth gauge chain guard. I think if you are venting a roof and you can't tell the difference between decking and rafters or trusses, it is time to head back to rookie school and be retrained.

But like everything else in the fire service to each his own...

Stihl use to have a great deal on saws for the fire service. We got a rotary saw and a chain saw, both set up for the fire service, from a Stihl dealer for less than the rotary saw from a fire equipment dealer.
    we have the exact same setup on our tillers. 3 saws. 2 rotary and one carbide tip chainsaw! all stihl.. ive had nothing but bad experiences with the depth gauge.. Our dept bought a few and they either end up breaking or not cutting enough.. haha
    Last edited by thomasldixon33; 03-17-2011 at 03:39 AM.
    .....Leather Head N6A

Forum Member

people....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    people....
    yes.. we are... people..
    .....Leather Head N6A

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    people....
    I agree, 2 & 3 man truck crews are not good enough.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

In addition to all the hand tools mentioned a TIC and some sort of door opening tool, like a Rabbit Tool or two.

Forum Member

I agree, 2 & 3 man truck crews are not good enough.
    No they aren't. But if that is your reality then it does no good to wish for a man truck. It makes more sense to look at what you have and figure out how to be selective in tactics AND equipment to accomplish the most important tasks first.

I ride on a quint, we are normally staffed with 3 and cross staff with a med unit with 2. Guess how often we ride out with 5?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

We don't have a truck company.

Our rescue serves as our "truck" utilizing the responding engine company ladders.

We carry a very basic assortment of tools: chainsaw, K-12, halligan, flathead/pickhead axes, drywall hooks, a bunch of pike poles, a Fubar, a sledge, prybar and salvage covers.

I would also consider a TIC to be an essential tool for truck
    company work as well. We carry one on our rescue and one on the engine.

We do very little vertical ventilation and our district requires very, very little forcible entry, so our "truck" tool needs are extremly basic.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-18-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

No they aren't. But if that is your reality then it does no good to wish for a man truck. It makes more sense to look at what you have and figure out how to be selective in tactics AND equipment to accomplish the most important tasks first.

I ride on a quint, we are normally staffed with 3 and cross staff with a med unit with 2. Guess how often we ride out with 5?
    The guy asked for must haves, manpower is at the top of my list. You mention the term "Selective Tactics", just because it's reality it's something that can be rectified. Between S&R, ventilation, laddering/secondary egress and controling of utilities, things that you would hopefully agree that should take place early at every structure fire, a 3 man crew just isn't enough to perform in the initial stages of a job.

That being said, as far as tools,

Roof hook w/ pry end married with a halligan
    Hydra Ram
    2 saws one for wood, one for metal
    10 or 12 lb sledge married with a halligan
    Tools to remove the door lock cylinders at commerical buildings

These are beyond the obvious, TIC, Irons, Hand lights ect.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

to add to my post before.

I am not a huge fan of all the speciality tools that fill the catalogs. Just give me a well maintained compliment of basic tools and people that are good at using them.

Sure a rabbit tool is great to have and has its uses. However I dont consider it to be a must have item. Same with a sheet rock tool. Sure it is great at pulling sheet rock, however it sucks on plaster and lath.

I would much rather have a guy that is great at using a set of irons, instead of a rabbit tool. I would much rather carry a plain old pike pole and have the skill in using it.

To me you can carry all the tools in the world. It is the skill and craftmanship of the men and women on the truck that make all the difference in the world.

Forum Member

The guy asked for must haves, manpower is at the top of my list. You mention the term "Selective Tactics", just because it's reality it's something that can be rectified. Between S&R, ventilation, laddering/secondary egress and controling of utilities, things that you would hopefully agree that should take place early at every structure fire, a 3 man crew just isn't enough to perform in the initial stages of a job.

That being said, as far as tools,

Roof hook w/ pry end married with a halligan
    Hydra Ram
    2 saws one for wood, one for metal
    10 or 12 lb sledge married with a halligan
    Tools to remove the door lock cylinders at commerical buildings

These are beyond the obvious, TIC, Irons, Hand lights ect.
    i ride on a truck co every shift.. A tiller truck co. 99.9% of the time we ride 3. Never have we NOT had enough. Now would i like to have a couple more guys. YES!!! but don't say 3 can't get it done. From ventilation to extrication we make it happen.. with 3.
    .....Leather Head N6A

Forum Member

Never said it couldn't be done with three. We run three minimium, my point is that the fourth makes things that much easier. Isn't that what a tool is? Something to make your job easier.
    Last edited by Trkco1; 03-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Never said it couldn't be done with three, two or one. We run three minimium, my point is that the fourth makes things that much easier. Isn't that what a tool is? Something to make your job easier.

NO, staffing is not a tool. Although I have worked with some guys that were tools. The serious point here is you can all day wish for that 4th guy and if the city is NOT going to give it to you, but they will buy you some additional tools to make the job more efficient with 3 guys then you get the tools to make the job more efficient.

I believe that you have to look at your response area and buy the tools that work best there. There is no standard compliment of tools that works best everywhere.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information