Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenville Il.
    Posts
    17

    Default What would you do?

    Im 20 yrs old, been a vol. for about 7 yrs now, I have also work ems part time for a lil over a year now. I would love to get a career in the fire service and plan to start looken this summer. My issue is my current job (e.m.s.) has a full time spot that i could possibly have next week if i wanted it. should I take this offer or should i continue working part time and focus my time on the fire dept stuff? Any advice would be helpfull. thanks!


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    All else being equal, I'd take the full-time position. I don't know the market in your area but it could take a long time to get a full time fire spot.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  3. #3
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Take the full time EMS position and go back to school and get into a paramedic degree program. It will serve you well.

  4. #4
    Forum Member TillamanTrk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro-Atlanta
    Posts
    113

    Default

    it all depends on what you really want man. Do you prefer EMS or Fire.. Do you really need the full time gig... Are fire depts in your area hiring.. Although EMS is a HUGE part of ANY fire dept you sign up with these days, If you want to be a FIREman then keep truckin' towards the the fulltime fire spot. If you are in need of a Full time job then take what Gods giving ya.. All in all, its what you really want.. or need.. Good luck with whatever you decide
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

  5. #5
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,303

    Default What would I do?????

    Here's what I would do.....

    I would start seriously thinking about enlisting in one of the branches of the United States Military. If you are an EMT and enjoy that, then perhaps the Navy or Army as a Medical Corpsman. Or perhaps the USAF as a Firefighter....Enlisting in the Military is a win-win situation. You get to repay your country for the freedom (of choosing whether or not you get to enlist) in the most patriotic method..... You also:

    -Get confidence, discipline, training, three squares a day
    -The benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill, which pays for you to go to college while you are enlisted or afterwards....
    -Most of all, you are entitled to veterans preferance points for many many municipal firefighter and police civil service exams, which is of tremendous benefit when you are competing with thousands of applicants for very few positions.

    What would I do?? Enlist. Do 4 years. Keep your nose clean, and take college courses (on Uncle Sam's dime) while you are in. Then, when you get out, start taking each and every civil service exam for cop and fireman that comes down the pike.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,372

    Default

    What is required in your state to apply for a position ???

    If you have it

    Take the full time job and apply away

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Take the full time job and then work your way to paramedic with them paying for it. Hang around a few years then start looking. In the mean time(before or after medic school) take some fire classes to see if its something you want to do. Don't do both at the same time.

  8. #8
    Forum Member FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Here's what I would do.....

    I would start seriously thinking about enlisting in one of the branches of the United States Military. If you are an EMT and enjoy that, then perhaps the Navy or Army as a Medical Corpsman. Or perhaps the USAF as a Firefighter....Enlisting in the Military is a win-win situation. You get to repay your country for the freedom (of choosing whether or not you get to enlist) in the most patriotic method..... You also:

    -Get confidence, discipline, training, three squares a day
    -The benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill, which pays for you to go to college while you are enlisted or afterwards....
    -Most of all, you are entitled to veterans preferance points for many many municipal firefighter and police civil service exams, which is of tremendous benefit when you are competing with thousands of applicants for very few positions.

    What would I do?? Enlist. Do 4 years. Keep your nose clean, and take college courses (on Uncle Sam's dime) while you are in. Then, when you get out, start taking each and every civil service exam for cop and fireman that comes down the pike.
    Reason #2 why I like you.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  9. #9
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Reason #2 why I like you.

    FM1
    What's reason #1? The fact that I offered to bail you and your buddy out of jail if you howled at the moon too loudly????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenville Il.
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Sorry for the delay lol. Thanks for the input!

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Here's what I would do.....

    I would start seriously thinking about enlisting in one of the branches of the United States Military. If you are an EMT and enjoy that, then perhaps the Navy or Army as a Medical Corpsman. Or perhaps the USAF as a Firefighter....Enlisting in the Military is a win-win situation. You get to repay your country for the freedom (of choosing whether or not you get to enlist) in the most patriotic method..... You also:

    -Get confidence, discipline, training, three squares a day
    -The benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill, which pays for you to go to college while you are enlisted or afterwards....
    -Most of all, you are entitled to veterans preferance points for many many municipal firefighter and police civil service exams, which is of tremendous benefit when you are competing with thousands of applicants for very few positions.

    What would I do?? Enlist. Do 4 years. Keep your nose clean, and take college courses (on Uncle Sam's dime) while you are in. Then, when you get out, start taking each and every civil service exam for cop and fireman that comes down the pike.
    Not for nothing here...but you do realize that there are literally THOUSANDS of serviceman who's jobs are on the line in a down-sizing military? I know of 12 Sailors in the past 5 months who Big Navy is saying, "Thank you, we no longer require your service. Start your separation package and fair winds." These people range from E3's with 4 years of service to E5's with 16 years of service. Over 1,900 other Sailors have an Enlistment Retention Board Hearing in September to determine if they will be separated by the end of December.

    If the individual wanted to serve in the Military, or would like to, they will reach that conclusion on their own. Watching people lose their jobs who have been and still are honorably serving their country, for yet another 4 year jockey is insulting to those being kicked out.
    Last edited by JohnVBFD; 07-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

    Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

    'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

  12. #12
    Forum Member FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I respect a person that does 2 years in any branch of the service much much more than you're average liberaltard hippie "we don't need a military" idiot, who doesn't realize he is only able to have his "views and opinions" because the people fighting the wars make it possible.

    [/rant]
    Preach on!
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Are you implying it's the guys who join the militarys fault? I know of one guy in this country I can for sure point the finger at for "dowsizing" the U.S. military.

    Also, whats wrong with 4 year jockeys?? My dad did 28, ended up a Master Gunny in the Marines. I didn't feel like going that long. I respect a person that does 2 years in any branch of the service much much more than you're average liberaltard hippie "we don't need a military" idiot, who doesn't realize he is only able to have his "views and opinions" because the people fighting the wars make it possible.

    [/rant]
    One, slightly off to put two different area's together to make one quote. No where did I state it was the Serviceman's fault. However, they are the one's losing their job, some with quite lengthy time of service who wanted it to be their career.

    Two- I am sure, as someone who served you can recognize the difference between somoene who joins because they want to, does their four years and decides it isn't their cup of tea and leaves. Compared to the person who joins to get points on a test, whines and complains their four years there.

    It is insulting to see a 16 year honorably serving vet losing their job while others are saying just take a job in the military to use the military. As someone who's served and still continues to serve I know you know the exact difference I mean.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

    Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

    'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVBFD View Post
    One, slightly off to put two different area's together to make one quote. No where did I state it was the Serviceman's fault. However, they are the one's losing their job, some with quite lengthy time of service who wanted it to be their career.

    Two- I am sure, as someone who served you can recognize the difference between somoene who joins because they want to, does their four years and decides it isn't their cup of tea and leaves. Compared to the person who joins to get points on a test, whines and complains their four years there.

    It is insulting to see a 16 year honorably serving vet losing their job while others are saying just take a job in the military to use the military. As someone who's served and still continues to serve I know you know the exact difference I mean.
    The military uses you..so why not use them. You are giving them your blood, sweat, and tears, and I'm some cases your limbs, eyesight and your mental health as well.

    They deploy you at will to wherever your commanders see fit, and they do what makes THEM look good. The days of officers and NCOs looking out for the welfare of their soldiers is over..yea, I'm sure there's a few out there with the good mentality but most are getting out because they are tired.

    So...if someone chooses to go into the military for 2 years..6 years, or 30 years and retire a CSM or rear admiral or what have you..that is their decision, not yours, not their parents, not their recruiters.

    and before you go off and try to comment on me, I served 7 and a half years..3 deployments over seas, purple heart recipient, Sadr City, April 4th 2004 "black Sunday"

    and you know what, I would NEVER turn anyone away from the military...it is a great asset, and it is a great honor to do things that people here would never have the opportunity to do, to see cultures, and to experience things that people have no idea of, other then what they see on TV. Those benefits, the GI bill, both post 9/11 and Montgomery are there for the soldier to use to benefit his career in and out of the military. The military discounts at Lowe's and home depot are there for us to use because we have earned it.

    Bottom line..My opinion is that if you go overseas, and get shot at, and breath in that nasty crap from the KBR burn pits, run missions for 12,24,48,72,96 hours with out sleep, without a meal of any kind or go live on an outpost for weeks on end with no shower, with no change of clothes or see your friends get killed or maimed by bullets and shrapnel or by a suicide bomber or because of lax force protection SOPs put in place by garbage NCOs and officers they deserve EVERYTHING that they can get from the military weather it be a free education, or 10 points on a civil service exam, or 5 dollars off at Lowe's or a free meal at a diner somewhere because you are in your uniform.

    And maybe if that E5 who has been in for 16 years tried a little harder to get promoted he wouldn't be an E5, or maybe if he re-classed his MOS or whatever it is called in the navy he would be higher up on the food chain. Sometimes you need to trim the fat.

    Now back to the point at hand, The military is a great thing, personally, I would select the Navy, simply because they do have firefighters aboard ships, and you do get to travel to more places then Iraq. The air force would be my second option, but due to budget reasons they are downsizing so unless you are in a high need MOS or if you have any medical issues you will be released. I'm not sure if you can transfer your medic training over to the civilian side, I know you can't here in Pennsylvania so that's something worth looking in to. Also something to consider, with the economy being so bad and the high amount of people entering the service there is a wait time to begin basic training so another option is to talk to a recruiter, get your medic cert, and take some Gen ed courses and you might be able to do trauma nurse..not sure the exact requirements but for a resume builder, I'd take working in a CSH(combat surgical hospital) overseas and then working in a hospital stateside, then picking up cigarette butts, mowing lawns and guarding shipping containers in the motor pool as a Line medic in the army.

    I would seriously consider talking to a recruiter, if for no other reason then just get some good info, can't hurt and it might change your mind..

    If that is the route of if you have any questions..feel free to PM me, I can answer anything you have questions on..

  15. #15
    Forum Member FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    ...
    and before you go off and try to comment on me, I served 7 and a half years..3 deployments over seas, purple heart recipient, Sadr City, April 4th 2004 "black Sunday"
    ...
    Brother, hip of the hat to you. Black Sunday, Sadr City Multi-Use Range. I was with Air Cavalry Brigade (was 4BDE at the time), 1CD at the time. That was the opening shots of a dark period, glad you made it out.

    Not only does the military give you the +5 bonus points on some civil service tests, GI Bill and other benefits, but it develops young kids into men and women. Gives the newest generation, who on average have some serious sense of entitlement issues and poor work ethic, the ethos needed to succeed in life.

    My first platoon was a Stinger missile platoon. I had 2 man teams of 19-22 year olds able to make the call to shoot down enemy aircraft. They woke up every morning and ****ed leadership, critical decision making capabilities, and personal motivation. They were out there on the battlefield alone, sometimes a PFC and a SPC at the most, able to shoot move and communicate effectively. Pull some college weenies in that position, watch them crumble.
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenville Il.
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks alot guys... I think im going to call some recruiters this week. Like the fire service, the armed forces is in the blood as well. sounds like the next best step to gain some more training, education, and experience for later on...And thanks to those of you who have served, hats off to you.
    Last edited by Bubba32; 07-11-2011 at 02:14 AM.

  17. #17
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,151

    Default

    biggriff


    I take issue to you statement about the military. Yes I saw where you had served and I think you for your service. No one force you in the service and there wasn't a draft pulling you in.

    I too served and did my duty from 1958-1964, three active, three reserve.



    During that time I never felt that I was used or as you say, "They deploy you at will to wherever your commanders see fit, and they do what makes THEM look good!"

    The next time you set foot in Washington, DC, go up on Constitution Ave and visit the Wall and tell that bs to those 58,000 plus buddies and friends whose name is inscribed! Also to the over 2.7 million who served during that time.


    Bubba - Don't go into the military expecting what maybe your Dad, GrandDad expereince when they went in.

    If you go in, go for what you want out of it.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-11-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Take the full time EMS position and go back to school and get into a paramedic degree program. It will serve you well.
    I agree, you are alot more marketable when you have that EMT-P card. You could almost walk onto a fire department with that little card. So take that full time position and get your medic card. Then you will be set up nicely for a good firefighter job

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    biggriff


    I take issue to you statement about the military. Yes I saw where you had served and I think you for your service. No one force you in the service and there wasn't a draft pulling you in.

    I too served and did my duty from 1958-1964, three active, three reserve.



    During that time I never felt that I was used or as you say, "They deploy you at will to wherever your commanders see fit, and they do what makes THEM look good!"

    The next time you set foot in Washington, DC, go up on Constitution Ave and visit the Wall and tell that bs to those 58,000 plus buddies and friends whose name is inscribed! Also to the over 2.7 million who served during that time.


    Bubba - Don't go into the military expecting what maybe your Dad, GrandDad expereince when they went in.

    If you go in, go for what you want out of it.
    I too appreciate your service, I would rather have been in your army then in my army..Your army had a lot more MEN then boys..mine however, was the other way around..

    I'm sorry to say that I'm going to have to take issue with your statement..

    I still feel that the military, and our politicians use our military to protect our political interests all around the world. There was NO reason for us to be involved in Vietnam..There sure as heck wasn't any reason for us to be in the first gulf war, or in Iraq this go around..except for well, Kuwait has a HUGE reserve of oil an we couldn't have Iraq take control of that now could we?? and as far as this Iraq war, there is NO read it again NO reason for us to be in in Iraq..we screwed that country up soooo much its not even funny. I'm guessing you haven't been there lately, well, its horrible. Because of us, the united states of America, and the coalition forces or whatever politically correct term that is used now..and don't feed me that al qaeda in Iraq garbage..you know who we're killing over there? the military aged males who have no jobs because we ruined their infrastructure and have to go dig holes, plant IEDs act as lookouts, drive suicide vehicles into my brothers and their own people for some money or for the promise that their family will be taken care of..and we're killing the people who are getting aggravated with us driving tanks up and down their streets, with us kicking in their doors at 2am and tearing their house apart because our leadership thinks that they are hiding bomb making materials or weapons caches..

    So, with that being said..next time you are in Washington DC take a drive up Georgia Ave and swing by Walter reed Army Medical center..talk to some of the amputees there, talk to some of the people missing parts of their skulls, talk to people who can't remember their name..and these "people" are kids 18-24 years old who wanted to serve their country, who wanted to do better for themselves but ended up in a political meat grinder while a select few politicians and CEOs got rich of our poor men and women dying..and now they have nothing, NOTHING..except a GI Bill, or veterans benefits..

    same thing for men/women who served in the first gulf war, in Kosovo, Vietnam and in Korea..people getting killed, maimed, physically, mentally for no good reason at all..you know it and I know it..

    way off topic there..but oh well..

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenville Il.
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Okay guys. I have spent the day doing some studying an research on the military, but i have a few questions/concerns for you guys. number 1 is i don't meet the height/weight requirements, im 6ft tall and weigh 250lbs...can i enlist and do a delayed entry program or something to make tape? Also im red/green color blind, will that affect a firefighting mos? and lastly i understand that firefighting jobs in the military are somewhat slim, any pointers on getting the job i want. Sorry for all the questions but i have done a few searches and really cant get a good answer and seems like you all know your ****. And yes i know speeking with a recruiter will be my best bet for answers but id like to get all of my "ducks in a row" before taking that step.
    Last edited by Bubba32; 07-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts