Forum Member

Smile Bronto Switches To Pierce From E One

Announced today that Federal Signal has cancelled their agreement with E One and going to sell the Bronto exclusively through Pierce.

Seems interesting that Piece had the Bronto for the US market a number of years ago and failed at it and wasn't very complimentary towards the Bronto and then bought the NovaQuintech SkyArm.... So this should be interesting with Rosenbauer

OAK BROOK, Ill., March 15, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Federal Signal Corporation (NYSE: FSS), a leader in environmental, safety and transportation solutions, announced today that its Bronto Skylift Oy Ab ("Bronto") subsidiary has entered into exclusive supply and distribution agreements with Pierce Manufacturing Inc. ("Pierce"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK). Under the terms of the agreements, Bronto will become Pierce's sole source of articulated aerial platform booms for firefighting applications in the North American market, and those devices will be distributed exclusively through Pierce's network of independent dealers.

"We are pleased to establish this important relationship with the leading North American manufacturer of custom fire apparatus," said Dennis J. Martin, Federal Signal's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Bronto's articulated hydraulic platforms are recognized around the world as best in class. When coupled with the build quality and innovation that Pierce is renowned for, we believe that North American fire departments will now have an opportunity to obtain the most capable high-access firefighting vehicles ever made."

"This new relationship with Pierce marks an important milestone in the growth of Bronto in North America," said Esa Peltola, Bronto's Managing Director. "We feel that each company will benefit from the other's reputation for high quality and innovation. But fire departments and those they protect, first and foremost, will be the biggest beneficiaries."

Bronto parts and service for firefighting applications will also be made available exclusively through Pierce's independent dealer network. New Bronto lift devices for wind power and electric transmission line maintenance and other commercial applications, as well as related parts and service, are unaffected by the new agreements with Pierce. These will continue to be made available through Bronto's existing distribution channels.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/03/15/...#ixzz1GiYUD6ds

Let's talk fire trucks!

Very interesting news, especially on the heals the recent acquisition of Classic Fire by Spartan Motors. Between notable E-One folks leaving to create Classic Fire, and then losing a key body designer to General Safety, E-One has really been taking some hits over the past few years.

Some folks will remember that there was a short-lived Pierce/Bronto partnership in the 1990's, which included the nation's tallest aerial: the 174' model that was delivered to South Padre Island, TX, and is now serving the hamlet of Jay, VT. A total of six of them were built, with three going to Long Island, one to Maryland (which totaled in a roll-over accident), the South Padre Island piece, and one additional which is slipping my mind at the moment.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

So I guess the Bronto has just been invented now that Pierce has it

Doesn;t look good for E-1 but if I remember correctly the market for these aerials isn't all that big. Could be they are just shrinking the business down to its core group.

Forum Member

My feeling is that it is really no loss. There are hardly any Brontos around anyway.

E-one has a good thing going for them in their outrigger system and aluminum aerials in general.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

T-rex is gonna FEAST on the Bronto,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Given that Federal Signal Corporation has demonstrated that everything they know about fire apparatus could be written on the back of a postage stamp, with a kiddy's jumbo crayon. How does this help FS/Bronto, Pierce, E-One?

Have heard the rumor for a couple years that Bronto was going to become a open market item available to any serious apparatus builder. Seems to make more sense to me as a way to increase Bronto's US market. Perhaps Pierce just thru a lot of $ at FS for an exclusive?

Copy the E-One aluminum ladder and now Bronto. Has it cooled in hell?

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, Bronto needs the type of blindly loyal Pierce folks to buy the product. Head to head, the Rosenbauer product soundly trounces the Bronto boom.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Very interesting news, especially on the heals the recent acquisition of Classic Fire by Spartan Motors. Between notable E-One folks leaving to create Classic Fire, and then losing a key body designer to General Safety, E-One has really been taking some hits over the past few years.

Some folks will remember that there was a short-lived Pierce/Bronto partnership in the 1990's, which included the nation's tallest aerial: the 174' model that was delivered to South Padre Island, TX, and is now serving the hamlet of Jay, VT. A total of six of them were built, with three going to Long Island, one to Maryland (which totaled in a roll-over accident), the South Padre Island piece, and one additional which is slipping my mind at the moment.
    Jay, VT has a 174' aerial?

I know they have a couple of 3 and 4 story hotels at the ski resort ... or at least that's what they had a few years ago.

I can imagine that driving that thing must be a bear on the access road.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

double post
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-16-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

It will be interesting to see the delivery times, pricing and technology on the Bronto units as produced by Pierce. It's a long, long supply chain back to Finland without some stock on the ground or at least on the ocean.

Forum Member

Everything about dealing with Bronto is a difficult venture... Look at the Track record, Anderson, Pierce, E-one, Pierce(Again)....

Talking

Come on guys. let's look at this in reality. Is it a whizzy product with a lot of bells and whistles...yup. Is is a fre service product....no way. It is difficult to operate, tempermental, and though it meets NFPA recommended set-up times, it is a second alarm/water carnival device at best. It is not an aerial that is conducive to North American fire fighting tactics.
    E-ONE, in case you haven't been watching, has made some huge strides in quality, market share, and perception since their management team and the investor people they teamed with took over from the boobs at Fed Sig in 2008. Some have spoken of Classic/Spartan marriage......that should be viewed as a goodmove for E-ONE....they have and do build all those Classic products themselves and to a better quality level. Bronto hasn't been an exclusive E-ONE product for some time.....surely Fed Sig in their infinite wisdom was going to see to that change at some point. E-ONE should be happy about this as it allows them the ability to focus on their own aerial products, the best in the industry as proven with no failures since they started building them. They just came out with their 137 aerial which is a beast and competitively priced. And, they don't have all the warranty costs that surely Fed Sig and Bronto don't help them with.
    E-ONE is back and extremely strong from every indication out there. They are gaining market share for sure. And they are doing it right. The people you have to feel sorry for are Spartan with the empty bag they just walked out of the store with in Classic, and Pierce who in their quest to have it all, just signed up for the biggest and most expensive albatros the industry has ever seen. I will be amazed if Pierce sticks with that loser as long as E-ONE did....but surely Fed Sig didn't give them much choice.
    The only good thing that ever came out of Fed Sig was the Q.....the only real siren ever built.

Forum Member

Educate me if you can please...

I know what the Bronto is, so I'm good there. What I don't understand, is why you (as FS), would want to move around who manufactures it. Is it jumping on the bandwagon for builders every so many years, or who can produce it with a higher profit margin???

I presume they are built with the same blueprints and materials, per the original designer.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Best guess would be $$$$$$$$$$

Who can give them the best profit margin.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

I know what the Bronto is, so I'm good there. What I don't understand, is why you (as FS), would want to move around who manufactures it. Is it jumping on the bandwagon for builders every so many years, or who can produce it with a higher profit margin???

I presume they are built with the same blueprints and materials, per the original designer.

FM1
    Pierce won't be building the devices, only marketing them and installing fire bodies around a Bronto package.

Perhaps they moved to Pierce in order to actually sell a few units. E-1 is still rebounding from their massive dealer exodus a few years back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Honestly, Bronto needs the type of blindly loyal Pierce folks to buy the product. Head to head, the Rosenbauer product soundly trounces the Bronto boom.
    Hardly, the two look identical to the untrained eye. That being said I would give the nod to the T-Rex because of better controls/electronics...

MembersZone Subscriber

1+ is Pierce builds a good chassis... except for ours that the rear keeps shifting on

At least they circle the problem.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

FM1
    HMMMMM, Call me crazy. Pierce does reverse engineering on just about every manufacturer out there. They dismantle a product, beef it up, tweek, redesign a little and reassemble to their specs. Now take that concept and look at how many departments across the US are searching for a vehicle that has the functionality of a snorkle???????? Chicago want to Bid out for replacement Squad Company's at the end of the year!!!!!!!!! Take a bronto, dismantle and reverse engineer it down to a 55-60 ft design..... MONEY IN THE BANK.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm 99% positive Rosenbauer/Metz has a smaller version of their articulating boom, I'm sure Bronto does too already developed for other markets/regions. Pierce could probably tap Bronto to "fire" rate a smaller platform already in production for substantially less than engineering a new solution.

The return on investment though just to sell three booms to Chicago seems pretty slim. If everyone wanted Snorkels, ALF would be selling the crap out of them. And while I'm pretty fond of what the Metz product can do, I'm the first person to say they haven't taken the American fire service by storm...

I think the idea of Chicago having a small, nimble Snorkel style aerial device while also meeting compliance with the latest industry standard rules and regs, just isn't feasible. Yes, I know in Europe there are such monsters, but they are not meeting the U.S. fire service standards for capacities, etc.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    1+ is Pierce builds a good chassis... except for ours that the rear keeps shifting on

At least they circle the problem.
    Sean thats just a figment of your imagination.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sean thats just a figment of your imagination.
    Hater......
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Hater......
    Hater,Realist,Kool aide drinker the list goes on and on. But the TRUTH is,if they fell off the planet Monday you COULD still buy a firetruck tuesday. That undoubtably would respond to emergencies and make them go away. Around these parts,there are many brands being used and I don't see any that are WAY ahead of anybody elses.But we don't run tons of fires so who knows. Or more to the point,who cares. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-18-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Hater,Realist,Kool aide drinker the list goes on and on. But the TRUTH is,if they fell off the planet Monday you COULD still buy a firetruck tuesday. That undoubtably would respond to emergencies and make them go away. Around these parts,rhere are many brands being used and I don't see any that are WAY ahead of anybody elses.But we don't run tons of fires so who knows. Or more to the point,who cares. T.C.
    TC leave the poor boy alone. Where he comes from, they can afford the ovals.....They light their cigars using $50 bills. You need to see their newly renovated museum. Show the man some pictures of the museum and the Ward Lafrance, Matty.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Hehe,guess my mechanic is showing. T.C.

Thread Information