MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose accessories

Not another logical spot for this thread. Looking for suggestions.

Have AFG coming and looking for suggestions on specific mfg/models you've used and liked or would not buy again.

Hose washer
    LDH washer
    Hose clamp
    LDH clamp
    LDH hose ramps

Pressure tester - likely electric but? Have used Akron and works well but I don't like the design, handle is too short and wheels too small for a "handtruck" style not easy to transport or convient to move around. No opposed to "handtruck" style if done so easy to use. Neidner "scooter" style looks interesting but have never seen one.

Forum Member

Me personally.....

-hose pressure tester....waste of money. Why buy one when the truck works just fine?

-LDH hose clamp- in 20+ years of firefighting, never saw a NON LDH hose clamp actually used, much less a LDH hose clamp. Off the top of my head I can't even think of anyone that carries either anymore.

-LDH washer- again, waste of money. Just lay the hose on the floor or the front ramp, and rinse it down with the garden hose. If it's bad, have the juniors give it a brushing with a push-broom and some borax soap powder.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Hose washer - Had them and never had much use for them. If hose is laying on the floor after a job, just as easy to stretch them out wash and hang them if you are still using fabric type hose.

Forget the Hose Dryer, aka Pizza Ovens. Ruins the jackets with the heat. Natural drying, air moving around and about the hose is better for them. Plus hanging will drain the hose line too.

LDH washer - Same as above not that practical, cost wise.

Hose clamp - Great for 3.5 inch or smaller. Does a great job if needed.

LDH clamp - Looked at them and then decided that no way we would want to try to clamp down a 4 or 5 inch LDH.

LDH hose ramps - Great idea if you have the need for them. Always try to lay to the curb side if possible.

Pressure Tester - Pumper can do that and teaches the members about pumping as well as testing.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll go against the grain. I'd rather have a hose tester than put hours on an apparatus pump. Yes, I know they should hold up fine, and given the proper operator, no issues should occur. Given how things work at my fire department, I'd rather buy the hose tester.

You can buy some that incorporate the hose tester with a pressure washer, so you get to use the thing more than once a year. That option is probably worth looking into.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Me personally.....

-hose pressure tester....waste of money. Why buy one when the truck works just fine?

-LDH hose clamp- in 20+ years of firefighting, never saw a NON LDH hose clamp actually used, much less a LDH hose clamp. Off the top of my head I can't even think of anyone that carries either anymore.

-LDH washer- again, waste of money. Just lay the hose on the floor or the front ramp, and rinse it down with the garden hose. If it's bad, have the juniors give it a brushing with a push-broom and some borax soap powder.
    We carry both sizes of hose clamps. I can't remember when a 3" was last used. We use the LDH quite a bit at a training sight because we are down hill from the hydrant and put it on to unhook quicker than letting it drain through the pump. We used the LDH clamp on a scene about a year ago. We was mutual aid and the home department hooked the supply line to a discharge on their truck. We was on a long down hill drive and we threw our LDH clamp on the line to be able to un-hook in a hurry so we could get water.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hose Washer for 1 1/2 to 3" DJ hose. We bought our rotating brush type hose washer in 1976 and we are still using it. Our heavy industry works with graphite, carbon and coal tar pitch, so cleaning hand lines is absolutely essential. Imagine dragging a graphite contaminated hose over a cream colored carpet for a kitchen fire? Yes we have had some trouble with bearings and brushes over the years. We made our own bearings (sleeve type) for the brushes and replaced the chain over the years, but we still have some DJ 3" that has a purchase date of 1977. Still able to buy new brushes for the unit.
    Hose dryer: We originally hung our D.J. hose in a drying tower, but that sucks when everything is dripping and you need to hoist it up into the tower. Then it gets dropped back onto the dirty floor after is is dry. Our hose dryer operates at a max temp of 105 deg. F with a high volume air flow vented to the outside. It takes a whole day to completely dry a full oven, but we have "Lazy Susan" tables with a center post to wind the hose directly from the oven tray.
    Hose clamps are like mentioned, rarely used, unless your making the hook-up to the attack engine alone. Then having set the clamp allows the P.O. the time to hook into the attack engine and turn in the supply when he wants it. It is also a requirement for ISO points.
    Hose ramps are useless for LDH since apparatus or large wheeled pick-ups are the only thing that crosses without bottoming out. I do not trust hose ramps for heavy (40,000 lb) apparatus. The problem when driving over hose is usually when hose is not charged or fairly low in pressure. The inner jacket can be pinched and extruded off the woven fabric. once loosened, the high water flow will cvontinue to rip the liner and eventually it will drag a slug of lining into a nozzle or worse into a pump. We have a rule. No driving over hose period. Nobody.

Forum Member

I pretty much agree with the post above on all but the hose tester. Personally I feel that testing hose with a hose tester is safer and causes less wear and tear on the fire pump.

I had heard at one time hose testing voided the warrenty of the fire pumps on the truck. I have never researched, confirmed or debunked this. Does anybody know?

Forum Member

By AFG coming, I am assuming you mean a grant.

Thanks for posting another example of the failure of the AFG grants.

Please tell me how any of this equipment is actually a necessary need?

(and I apologize in advance if you are not talking about an AFG grant)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    By AFG coming, I am assuming you mean a grant.

Thanks for posting another example of the failure of the AFG grants.

Please tell me how any of this equipment is actually a necessary need?

(and I apologize in advance if you are not talking about an AFG grant)
    Yes an AFG. Grant also is for load of 1-3/4" an 2-1/2" hose to replace old hose from the mid 70s and late 80s on our pumper. No hydrants so LOT of LDH to replace DOD surplus stuff from the 80s. With appliances/adapters. Portables and pagers that are NB, 2x mobile for trucks that have NO radio, ADTs, a TIC, 2x Quickattack monitors, Turbodrafts. A shipping list that with DOD surplus will pretty much finish my project to update and reequipping my rural FD. Other than need a new larger modern station.

I didn't think to include a hose dryer or would have. Perhaps can stretch the grant $ and get an amendment to order.

So are you just whinning or you just don't believe in PROPERLY maintaining your hose (or equipment in general). Equipment purchased with tax $. None of this equipment would be an option for us without a FG. If pancake breakfast/chilli suppers worked would certainly have already replace the hose.

If FD xyz needed TO gear or SCBA, got of their butt and properly prepared a AGF app, they would likely have outscored us and gotten it. So what's your complaint?

Identify your needs and write an AFG. You'll get it or not. m Just remember:

Don't need racks for TO gear, throw in a pile in the trunk of your car.
    Don't need leather boots, rubber is good enough for granddad.
    Don't need gear washers, take it home and toss it in mom's Maytag.
    Don't need fill station, cylinders hardly ever explode.
    Don't need foam/CAFS, water is good enough.
    Don't need seatbelts, hardly ever use them.
    Don't need modern TO gear materials, Nomex is good enough.
    Don't need 4500psi SCBA, 1-3/4" Hose, LDH, etc etc etc

And yes, doing hose testing with a $200000+ 300hp fire truck is irresponsible if not stupid/unsafe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    And yes, doing hose testing with a $200000+ 300hp fire truck is irresponsible if not stupid/unsafe.
    How so.....?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Then it's probably a good thing we use $400,000+ rigs with 400+HP engines to do ours. We make sure we don't hurt anything from using cheap and under powered pumpers for hose testing.

Seriously, if you're worried about your pumper, then it may be time for a new one. Just sayin'.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

For the guys hose testing with apparatus....

How do you get your pressure to 400 PSI with a single stage pump? I had enough trouble getting to 300 the one time I used the rig for testing a few recoupled sections. Most of the attack hose these days has a service pressure of 300 to 400 PSI. I'm not sure some apparatus valves are rated for more than 200 PSI anyway.

If youre hose testing with rigs, are you using orafice reducing discs or only cracking the valves so that if a line bursts you dont lose it? With a valve fully opened at 300+ PSI, youre looking at a deadly situation. If memory serves correctly, Richmond Va had a FF seriously injured doing hose testing using the rig a few yrs back.

Have some of you guys seen hose burst during testing? I have, and using a hose tester or the one time we used our rig with the valve cracked the hose just pops and goes limp.

A hose testing machine makes much sense in my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    For the guys hose testing with apparatus....

How do you get your pressure to 400 PSI with a single stage pump? I had enough trouble getting to 300 the one time I used the rig for testing a few recoupled sections. Most of the attack hose these days has a service pressure of 300 to 400 PSI. I'm not sure some apparatus valves are rated for more than 200 PSI anyway.

If youre hose testing with rigs, are you using orafice reducing discs or only cracking the valves so that if a line bursts you dont lose it? With a valve fully opened at 300+ PSI, youre looking at a deadly situation. If memory serves correctly, Richmond Va had a FF seriously injured doing hose testing using the rig a few yrs back.

Have some of you guys seen hose burst during testing? I have, and using a hose tester or the one time we used our rig with the valve cracked the hose just pops and goes limp.

A hose testing machine makes much sense in my opinion.
    I kinda forgot about the much higher pressures required to test today's hose. But I will address the other concerns-

When we tested hose at the several military installations I worked at, it was a very disciplined and controlled operation. A modifed "straight-gate" with a 1/2" or 3/4" hole drilled into the gate was placed onto the discharge. Hose was filled, couplings checked and tightened if necessary, then the gate was closed. Test pressure applied. Operating discharge was on the opposite side of the pump panel of course. No members were allowed on the other side of the truck. Guys who were observing for leaks/bursts/whatever were kept a distance away and several pairs of eyes with binoculars were used to watch the hose.

If there was a catastrophic failure, the gate valve (only allowing as much volume as the small hole drilled into the gate) was the safety mechanism.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Me personally.....

What do you do with 400# AND 600# test hose? That's gonna tax your single stage pump. It won't work WELL even if you have a TWO stage pump. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Clamps

We use to use a clamp all the time with 2 1/2" supply line, don't have one for the ldh. A neighbor has one, used it a couple times to unhook and engine that laid in and to then hook up the tower without shuttiong down the hydrant. After watching them use the clamp, would have been easier to walk a block and shut down the hydrant. Could have used the blue cannaries.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    What do you do with 400# AND 600# test hose? That's gonna tax your single stage pump. It won't work WELL even if you have a TWO stage pump. T.C.
    A good point there, on the 400 and 600 psi hoses. I forgot that we just got them (400psi) for the aerials last fall. To be honest, I don't know what the FD has planned for running hose tests for them. If they think they are going to use a pumper, they have another thing coming.

I can speculate all day long on what they "might" do. But I will look into it tomorrow to see if they have thought about how they are going to test it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information