Forum Member

Default explorers doing tranig burns

my post my do a traning burn i was wonding whats your guys opinyin on this we wuld all have 2 pass NFPA standers for a t burn first and a wrintin test we are doing it to study fire behaveur

srroy for my speling

exolore cadet

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenyon View Post
    my post my do a traning burn i was wonding whats your guys opinyin on this we wuld all have 2 pass NFPA standers for a t burn first and a wrintin test we are doing it to study fire behaveur

srroy for my speling

exolore cadet
    What kind of "training burn?"

As for your spelling, if you know it's not good, there's no reason for you not to work on it. Get a spell checker or at least a dictionary.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

If you are aware of your spelling errors, then you should go back and fix them before posting.

Not only the spelling, but words in the wrong spot and extra letters scattered around. Trying to read your post was very painful.

There are free spell checkers available on the internet.

If it is easier to read your questions, people will be more likely to answer them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    What kind of "training burn?"

As for your spelling, if you know it's not good, there's no reason for you not to work on it. Get a spell checker or at least a dictionary.
    we are going to go into a room with full PPE and its going to be modal type room and whatch it burn to study fire behaver and my speling is cuz i have a laurning disabity im srroy

Forum Member

we are going to go into a room with full PPE and its going to be modal type room and whatch it burn to study fire behaver and my speling is cuz i have a laurning disabity im srroy
    A learning disability doesn't prevent you from using a spell checker. Stop using it as an excuse.

Explorers shouldn't be doing that kind of "training burn." If you want to study fire behavior as an explorer, get a video.

Forum Member

If you are not 18 years old, you have no business being in an IDLH environment. Additionally, I believe the BSA/Explorers have rules against it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks!

Some junior firefighter programs will allow a member between 16 and 18 years of age to enter an IDLH training environment as part of a structured and recognized training plan. However, they must have completed all of the core modules perscribed under NFPA 1001 & 1403. That being said, I don't know if the BSA/Explorer program allows this or not.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Some junior firefighter programs will allow a member between 16 and 18 years of age to enter an IDLH training environment as part of a structured and recognized training plan.
    They're out of their ever-loving minds if they do... Putting a minor in SCBA in an IDLH environment -- no matter how "structured" it might be intended to be -- is a monumentally Bad Idea(TM).

(And, no, Explorers doesn't allow it.)

Let's talk fire trucks!

They're out of their ever-loving minds if they do... Putting a minor in SCBA in an IDLH environment -- no matter how "structured" it might be intended to be -- is a monumentally Bad Idea(TM).
    We've done it successfully for years throughout our fine state, as part of Firefighter I and Firefighter II live burns.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

(And, no, Explorers doesn't allow it.)
    And, no, you're completely wrong:

Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.
    Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.
    Explorers may be mobilized only as a post, with required leadership. Explorers are not on call as individuals.
    Explorers who ride on apparatus or other department vehicles must be seated and must wear a seat belt.
    Explorers may not drive department vehicles.
    Explorers may not climb aerial ladders.
    Explorers may not climb ground ladders that exceed 35 feet in length, or not supported against a structure.
    Explorers may not enter or perform ventilation procedures on a burning structure.
    Explorers may not use any tools or gloves on energized electrical equipment.
    Explorers may not operate cutting torches
    Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools or equipment.
    Explorers may not handle life nets.
    Exceptions: Using an official training facility, the use of aerial ladders with the appropriate safety equipment, and entering a controlled burn building is approved.
    So you must have an aneurysm looking at this:

http://www.fsi.illinois.edu/content/...xplorer-cadet/

Explorer/Cadet live burns for 4 days which has been going on for YEARS without a serious injury of any sort. Hundreds of kids per year.

MembersZone Subscriber

N.C. allows Jrs that are 18 and have completed all of their 1403 classes to participate in live burns. If you are under 18, then NO GO!

As far as you using your Learning Disability as an excuse for being lazy I call B.S. I tell you like my Dad, told me. "Son just because you have a problem, is no excuse to act like an arse. When you grow up and get a job, your boss is going to give you a job to do and if you can't do it he will fine someone who can!"
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    N.C. allows Jrs that are 18 and have completed all of their 1403 classes to participate in live burns. If you are under 18, then NO GO!

As far as you using your Learning Disability as an excuse for being lazy I call B.S. I tell you like my Dad, told me. "Son just because you have a problem, is no excuse to act like an arse. When you grow up and get a job, your boss is going to give you a job to do and if you can't do it he will fine someone who can!"
    Agreed - there is no excuse for being lazy. And no excuse for poor spelling - this forum underlines misspelled words prior to submitting. The only thing we have to judge you on is the content and form of your post - if you can't even take the additional 30 seconds to spell correctly, why should we take anything else said seriously?

Now, that said - to address your post. At our department juniors would be allowed to attend the controlled burn, but only passively. That is, sit back in the green zone, watch, and learn. No entry, no SCBA, nothing anywhere near an IDLH environment. Explorers/Juniors should be learning as much as they can, but in as safe a manner as possible. When you become a full member of the department you can then put what you've learned over the years into action.

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys are unbelievable. A kid comes on here, admits he has a learning disability, apologizes for his errors, and ask a question and you jump on him and call him lazy. It must be just peachy living in your holier-than-thou land. How about this, instead of calling him lazy, advise him where he can get a spelling program. Who knows though, maybe his LD is reading comprehension or dyslexia. All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see.

In regards to your question, 16 or over shouldn’t be a problem with the right parameters in place. As long as the instructors are well trained, the environment is under control, and the kids are not afraid to say they are hot and leave the structure, I feel it would be a good training tool.

-Rob
    Last edited by webteam; 03-18-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Swearing removed from post.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    You guys are f-ing unbelievable. A kid comes on here, admits he has a learning disability, apologizes for his errors, and ask a question and you d*cks jump on him and call him lazy. It must be just peachy living in your holier-than-thou land. How about this, instead of calling him lazy, advise him where he can get a spelling program. Who knows though, maybe his LD is reading comprehension or dyslexia. All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see.

In regards to your question, 16 or over shouldn’t be a problem with the right parameters in place. As long as the instructors are well trained, the environment is under control, and the kids are not afraid to say they are hot and leave the structure, I feel it would be a good training tool.

-Rob
    First of all these guys jump on anybody who spells like that and does not use proper spelling, its just the way they are. As for your comment about being 16 or over to do a training burn. NOPE, as shown in the previous posts the Boy Scouts who sponsor the Explorer Program do not allow that to happen, it would be a direct violation of the programs rules.

As for him openly admitting to a learning disability, fine he has a problem that he cant control and I am sure he or she is seeking aid with that.
    But either way No Explorers Cannot go into IDLH environments which would be the same as a live burn training.

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys are f-ing unbelievable. A kid comes on here, admits he has a learning disability, apologizes for his errors, and ask a question and you d*cks jump on him and call him lazy. It must be just peachy living in your holier-than-thou land. How about this, instead of calling him lazy, advise him where he can get a spelling program. Who knows though, maybe his LD is reading comprehension or dyslexia. All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see.

-Rob
    Hello Rob,

Good to see you Brother. I guess my Dad is/was a d*ck also. I've got dyslexia myself, and I have learn to cope adapt and overcome. I was speaking from the heart when I gave him the same advice that my father gave me. If you don't like it, I'm truly sorry, I've offended you. I guess I grew up in less P.C. times. As far as "All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see." he must be color blind as well and can't see the red line under the words he has misspelled? If the poor fellow can't handle the truth then he truly is in for a hard time when he get's out in the real world.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

What do your state laws say on this issue? That is always a good reference as to what explorers may do at this type of training.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Hello Rob,

Good to see you Brother. I guess my Dad is/was a d*ck also. I've got dyslexia myself, and I have learn to cope adapt and overcome. I was speaking from the heart when I gave him the same advice that my father gave me. If you don't like it, I'm truly sorry, I've offended you. I guess I grew up in less P.C. times. As far as "All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see." he must be color blind as well and can't see the red line under the words he has misspelled? If the poor fellow can't handle the truth then he truly is in for a hard time when he get's out in the real world.
    No offense taken bro and congrats on overcoming your problem. Dyslexia can be a hard struggle and it's good to see that your dad helped you out when you needed it the most. I stand by statement though that unless he has a coach, much like you did, it can be difficult to understand the errors on the screen, even with the miss-spellings underlined. Furthermore, I'm sure he has a difficult time in the real world as well and doesn't need any more problems from folks he needs advice from. Not to high-jack a thread but what did you do to fix the dyslexia? I have to admit that I'm ignorant on it. Thanks for the info man.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense taken bro and congrats on overcoming your problem. Dyslexia can be a hard struggle and it's good to see that your dad helped you out when you needed it the most. I stand by statement though that unless he has a coach, much like you did, it can be difficult to understand the errors on the screen, even with the miss-spellings underlined. Furthermore, I'm sure he has a difficult time in the real world as well and doesn't need any more problems from folks he needs advice from. Not to high-jack a thread but what did you do to fix the dyslexia? I have to admit that I'm ignorant on it. Thanks for the info man.
    -Rob
    All my Dad did was to give me a "swift kick in the arse" and demand that I give my best at all times. If a C in school was my best then it was fine but if I was slacking then there was hell to pay. There were programs at school that taught coping techniques, which to be honest focused more on "staying on task" than anything else. When it comes down to brass tacks you have to realize that you have a problem and but never ever use "It" as a crutch or an excuse. You have to be willing to do what you need to do to fix or over come the problem. Do I still have a hard time keeping my mind from wandering? Yes I do when especially when I involved in doing something that I'm not interested in. Do I still write some of letters backwards? From time to time and My spelling sucks! Thank God for computers, spell check and my Wife. Hey Honey! How to do spell . . . . . ?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

FWIW - Kenyon is 15y/o and ADHD, give him a freaking break.

He is just trying to learn something and fit in.

Ebberbody dont' spels wright and type rite eibber.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    FWIW - Kenyon is 15y/o and ADHD, give him a freaking break.

He is just trying to learn something and fit in.

Ebberbody dont' spels wright and type rite eibber.
    Priceless.

For our post, we are allowed within a live burn only if it is within the local burn tower, and a member of the academy staff is present. Being one of our Captains is an instructor, it works perfect, and we have been, in the past, allowed in.

I'm not 100% on whether or not we could enter a house, or anything like it (IE: Garage, office building, etc). For that information, you'd have to ask Dickey.
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

It IS legal, it has happened many times before. Sometimes it's not always a great idea but like I said, it IS legal.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Live Burns

the legality is established by the jurisdiction your explorer/junior group operates under.

while the BSA may approve - if there is a "no - go" at any level in between the BSA and the dept (state, county , town, district, etc.) - the "non go " wins out.

Most importantly - you have to check and see what your insurance coverage allows - hate to have find out after the fact that there is a clause deep in your policy that says loid and clear " NO ONE UNDER X age"

Asst Chief - see you at OYFETA!!!!!

Thread Information