Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Physical Agility testing tips

Sunday I'm taking part in my first ever physical agility exam. I know these tests vary from dept to dept but I want all the help/tips I can get. Here is the rundown of the test.

25 lbs vest with two 5 lbs ankle weights

1. Climb three story's with a high rise pack. Pull up two 50 lb donut rolls of hose to the window. Grab high raise pack then head back down.

2. Ventilation simulation

3. Charged hose line drill for X amount of feet

4. Dummy Drag for 100 ft

All this must be completed under 4:30. The one I'm mostly concerned about is the ventilation simulation. Everything else I have a feel for from my 240 class. But any tips anybody can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

The part I'm most concerned about for you is the 5# ankle weights they have you wearing. If you haven't been training with these beforehand, they (the department) could be setting you up for an injury if test day is the first time you strap those on. Granted it's not much, but it's a noticeable difference. Just be careful going up and down the stairs.

Do you have any other information on the "ventilation simulation"? Kaiser Sled or an actual vent prop?

Two 50 lb rolls? Two separately, or pull 100 lb all at once? I would assume pull one roll up, then another because 100 lb is a lot of vertical weight. I would say the ventilation simulator will be a keiser sled, or possibly using a pike pole to lift up on weights, and pull down weights.

Youtube firefighter combat challenge. Sounds similar to what you will be doing, just smaller scale. I would practice running stairs in boots, if this is not possible run on an incline in boots to simulate the extra foot weight.

To simulate the hose roll pull: do bent over rows.

For charged hoseline drill: find a pallet, stack weight on it and attach a rope and pull it. If you can't find a pallet, use a tire or anything you can find thats heavy and that you can drag. At least 50 lbs

Dummy drag: If you have access to a rescue randy use it. If not simulate lifting a weight off the ground, cling it to your chest, and back pedal. *Note-in the real test with the dummy drag you may be able to "carry" the dummy. Put your arms under the dummy armpits, and put your hands on the dummys pecs and squeeze into yourself. As you go backwards look straight ahead, don't turn your head. Your body will go in alignment with the direction you look, so if you look sideways, you will more than likely go down. You may also have to drag by shoulder straps on the dummy, if this is the case I'll feel bad for you if you are any height because this sucks...I'm 6'5 and doing this kills me.

If you are able to, do these exercises separately to get a feel for them, then throw them together and simulate this test.

Anything else, just PM me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    The part I'm most concerned about for you is the 5# ankle weights they have you wearing. If you haven't been training with these beforehand, they (the department) could be setting you up for an injury if test day is the first time you strap those on. Granted it's not much, but it's a noticeable difference. Just be careful going up and down the stairs.

Do you have any other information on the "ventilation simulation"? Kaiser Sled or an actual vent prop?
    Good point that's something I've never though about. I haven't been training with them so I will definitely be a little more cautious.

They are using the sled for the vent simulation. I've been checking out videos online to get some tips from people doing the evolution. It seems foot placement can really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    Two 50 lb rolls? Two separately, or pull 100 lb all at once? I would assume pull one roll up, then another because 100 lb is a lot of vertical weight. I would say the ventilation simulator will be a keiser sled, or possibly using a pike pole to lift up on weights, and pull down weights.

Youtube firefighter combat challenge. Sounds similar to what you will be doing, just smaller scale. I would practice running stairs in boots, if this is not possible run on an incline in boots to simulate the extra foot weight.

To simulate the hose roll pull: do bent over rows.

For charged hoseline drill: find a pallet, stack weight on it and attach a rope and pull it. If you can't find a pallet, use a tire or anything you can find thats heavy and that you can drag. At least 50 lbs

Dummy drag: If you have access to a rescue randy use it. If not simulate lifting a weight off the ground, cling it to your chest, and back pedal. *Note-in the real test with the dummy drag you may be able to "carry" the dummy. Put your arms under the dummy armpits, and put your hands on the dummys pecs and squeeze into yourself. As you go backwards look straight ahead, don't turn your head. Your body will go in alignment with the direction you look, so if you look sideways, you will more than likely go down. You may also have to drag by shoulder straps on the dummy, if this is the case I'll feel bad for you if you are any height because this sucks...I'm 6'5 and doing this kills me.

If you are able to, do these exercises separately to get a feel for them, then throw them together and simulate this test.

Anything else, just PM me
    Yea two separate rolls of 50 lb hose. But great tips man thanks. I will defiantly be trying some of this stuff out. As for dragging the dummy I'm only 5'5 so being a short guy it won't kill me as much ha.

Thanks again both of you for the input.

No problem. When driving the sled, keep the front of the sled right about your heels. That way your force will be perpendicular to the face of the sled. Also, don't take monster swings at it...bring the hammer back out to horizontal and strike again. When you swing, be pushing off with your heels...you'll get a lot more force.

Practice by finding some way to strike a tire...I use cinder blocks in front of the tire and keep my heels on it, so the tire is wedged between the blocks and a wall. Kinda looks like this... lO=

On the rope pull, when you go over the rail to grab the rope, grab with your thumbs up. When you grab the rope, **** your hand so that your knuckles are facing the ground.This puts a hitch in the rope and keeps it from sliding through your hands. Be sure to get all the slack over the rail, or you'll end up grabbing the slack instead of the rope!

Hope this helps ya buddy

Forum Member

No problem. When driving the sled, keep the front of the sled right about your heels. That way your force will be perpendicular to the face of the sled. Also, don't take monster swings at it...bring the hammer back out to horizontal and strike again. When you swing, be pushing off with your heels...you'll get a lot more force.

Practice by finding some way to strike a tire...I use cinder blocks in front of the tire and keep my heels on it, so the tire is wedged between the blocks and a wall. Kinda looks like this... lO=

On the rope pull, when you go over the rail to grab the rope, grab with your thumbs up. When you grab the rope, **** your hand so that your knuckles are facing the ground.This puts a hitch in the rope and keeps it from sliding through your hands. Be sure to get all the slack over the rail, or you'll end up grabbing the slack instead of the rope!

Hope this helps ya buddy
    Once again great advice and thank you! This being my first time through I'm not expecting any sort of jaw dropping performance. I just want to go in there beat the clock and hopefully get an interview. But I'm going to work on some of the tips you gave me tomorrow. Again thanks!

Forum Member

Ended up passing. Thanks for the tips guys!

congrats!...was it harder or easier than you thought?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    congrats!...was it harder or easier than you thought?
    Thanks! Felt good!

The keiser sled was a little challenging it being my first time. But other than that I felt I could have improved on the dummy drag. I have short arms so I had a tough time getting my arms fully around to lock my fingers.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't a walk in the park but with the proper training I can defiantly see myself improving.

Next time on the dummy, don't worry about locking fingers. I'm 6'4 and lanky, and never lock my fingers. Just grab the dummys chest and squeeze. Sounds like it wouldn't work, but its very stable.

But congrats on passing!!

Forum Member

Next time on the dummy, don't worry about locking fingers. I'm 6'4 and lanky, and never lock my fingers. Just grab the dummys chest and squeeze. Sounds like it wouldn't work, but its very stable.

But congrats on passing!!
    Basically what I did this time around. I just couldn't get a good grip on the sucker! But I'm looking forward to getting to try out future tests and improving my times. Again thank you for the tips!

Thread Information