Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    How long are the hoses? If they are under 6' I BET you are STILL drawing CO into the building. My opinion is based on OUR testing only. T.C.
    i dont recall exactly, but 10 to 12 feet

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    i dont recall exactly, but 10 to 12 feet
    If you have a CO meter and a structure to train in,try monitoring it before and after using the fan. I THINK you'll be surprised at what you find even WITH the hose being used. I know we were. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post

Some text snipped for sanity

Flexible ladders. Make sure you have at least 2 24's or 28's. You're 35 is going to have to be a 3 section with the short body and it'll never get used.

Keep the clutter in the fly section to a minimum. Basic tools are nice, but roof ladders get in the way. Mount one to the base section behind a ladder sign and you'll be much better off.

Saw box on the turntable.

If you have low trees, Officer side control pedestal - every manufacturer will do it but you have to ask. We're learning this one the hard way.

Don't just look at the ladders - fly them - Climb them - at all angles too!!!

Somehow we ended up with a steel Pierce 75'. IT SUCKS! The aluminum wasn't bad at all. This is the worst feeling straight ladder I've ever climbed and I've climbed a ton of different ladders in my time. I'll take a medium duty Seagrave over this so called "Heavy Duty" Pierce stick anyday! BUT... there is a lot of good ideas you may like, and plenty of don't make the same mistake as us things as well.
    We just signed a contract on a 75' demo quint from Smeal (FEMA says a demo is used, so it worked for our grant). Your suggestions are appreciated for us, even though they weren't intended for us. Obviously, we can only change so much, but your saw box idea on the turntable is one I hadn't thought of. I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

If you have a CO meter and a structure to train in,try monitoring it before and after using the fan. I THINK you'll be surprised at what you find even WITH the hose being used. I know we were. T.C.
    we'll have to give it a try

MembersZone Subscriber

Within the two depts I serve we have over 20 rigs,ONE with an inverter. And it will be the LAST with an inverter. Quite possibly, the WORST and most expensive way for an FD to make 120 power. Buy a DECENT hyd Genset, sized CORRECTLY,and be happy for the rest of Time. Or buy an inverter,in a couple years replace the burned out inverter,and again, until the end of service life. In MY experience most outfits DO NOT operate a inverter correctly which leads to early and multiple failures. Along with accelerated alternator and battery replacements. T.C.
    "Limited 120V" thru an inverter would be something like 500w.
    Last edited by neiowa; 03-22-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    Whatever you do DON'T listen to him for a paint color suggestion for the new rig.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Writing Spec's for a 75' Aerial Quint

It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.
    Some of this is subject to conjecture. AND one's definition of SAFEST. And not that I'm opposed to Rosenbauer, we own several of them. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    "Limited 120V" thru an inverter would be something like 500w.
    Which,IMO,is just above useless. Certainly falls short of marginally adequate for a LADDER truck. IE, a ten amp sawsall WORKING uses 1200 Watts. As I mentioned earlier, with all the electric equipment MOST FD's carry or would like to, a 8KW generator is the MINIMUM in my opinion. I have a 400W Inverter in my P/U for the sole purpose of running a laptop on scene. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Forum Member

We just signed a contract on a 75' demo quint from Smeal (FEMA says a demo is used, so it worked for our grant). Your suggestions are appreciated for us, even though they weren't intended for us. Obviously, we can only change so much, but your saw box idea on the turntable is one I hadn't thought of. I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    I'll be interested in following your progress, Joel. Is this already built, or will Smeal be building it and demo'ing it for a while? Everyone I know of who has recent Smeals appears to be happy with them.

How about e-mailing me a current cell number. I was going to call you last week as I was passing through with 9691, but I realized I didn't have a good number for you.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I'll be interested in following your progress, Joel. Is this already built, or will Smeal be building it and demo'ing it for a while? Everyone I know of who has recent Smeals appears to be happy with them.

How about e-mailing me a current cell number. I was going to call you last week as I was passing through with 9691, but I realized I didn't have a good number for you.
    Sam,ALREADY built. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad I could help. Please feel free to ask away anything!
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

You can get Sutphen to quote a 75' straight stick. Put in there you want an aluminum ladder, huck bolt fasteners, and MID-mount. This is a very good 75' quint... great compartmentation and very maneuverable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    while the galvanizing is intriguing, the rest of the stuff are just toys, just sayin. on my own aerial, we can operate on the short jack side flowing water, with limitations-and that unit is 9 yrs old. with a decent guy on the turn table, excessive motion from standard controls is not an issue. While im all for modernaization, i've just had too many micro switches, software, pdm's, etc on an aerial fail when i needed it the most.

Forum Member

For the rosenbauer all this gagets come with a great price, about 2 years ago they come with a mets 102 foot to show us what it can do, yes it is fast and very
    soft to opparate but away to expensive $1,300,000 in canadian dollar. And in that time our dollar was a bit under the us dollar.

in 2007 we bought a Bronto 114 for $1,ooo,ooo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question regarding portable ladders.

Does anyone have a 30' 2 section ladder in the ladder tunnel of a single axle quint? Duo's is 18' 3.25" closed length. Would like to see a 30 over a 28 if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Question regarding portable ladders.

Does anyone have a 30' 2 section ladder in the ladder tunnel of a single axle quint? Duo's is 18' 3.25" closed length. Would like to see a 30 over a 28 if possible.
    Don't know if this helps BUT: Alco has a solid beam 30' that is 17'9" retracted and a TRUSS beam 30' at 17'8". I have no idea the depth of a single quint box so I can't help you there. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know if this helps BUT: Alco has a solid beam 30' that is 17'9" retracted and a TRUSS beam 30' at 17'8". I have no idea the depth of a single quint box so I can't help you there. T.C.
    TC, no interest in Alco, with their weight substantially heavier (truss ladders heavier as well) I am solid on using Duo's channel rail aluminum ladders and have been specing/using them solely for several years now. Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    TC, no interest in Alco, with their weight substantially heavier (truss ladders heavier as well) I am solid on using Duo's channel rail aluminum ladders and have been specing/using them solely for several years now. Thanks though!
    Oh,I see how you are. We have both Duo and Alco,had good service from both. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh,I see how you are. We have both Duo and Alco,had good service from both. T.C.
    Theres a 27 LB difference, in favor of Duo on a 2 section 28' aluminum ladder. When you are doing 1 man throws, that makes life alot easier.

Thread Information