1. #26
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    Whatever you do DON'T listen to him for a paint color suggestion for the new rig.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  2. #27
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default Writing Spec's for a 75' Aerial Quint

    It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.

  3. #28
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.
    Some of this is subject to conjecture. AND one's definition of SAFEST. And not that I'm opposed to Rosenbauer, we own several of them. T.C.

  4. #29
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    "Limited 120V" thru an inverter would be something like 500w.
    Which,IMO,is just above useless. Certainly falls short of marginally adequate for a LADDER truck. IE, a ten amp sawsall WORKING uses 1200 Watts. As I mentioned earlier, with all the electric equipment MOST FD's carry or would like to, a 8KW generator is the MINIMUM in my opinion. I have a 400W Inverter in my P/U for the sole purpose of running a laptop on scene. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.

  5. #30
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We just signed a contract on a 75' demo quint from Smeal (FEMA says a demo is used, so it worked for our grant). Your suggestions are appreciated for us, even though they weren't intended for us. Obviously, we can only change so much, but your saw box idea on the turntable is one I hadn't thought of. I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    I'll be interested in following your progress, Joel. Is this already built, or will Smeal be building it and demo'ing it for a while? Everyone I know of who has recent Smeals appears to be happy with them.

    How about e-mailing me a current cell number. I was going to call you last week as I was passing through with 9691, but I realized I didn't have a good number for you.

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I'll be interested in following your progress, Joel. Is this already built, or will Smeal be building it and demo'ing it for a while? Everyone I know of who has recent Smeals appears to be happy with them.

    How about e-mailing me a current cell number. I was going to call you last week as I was passing through with 9691, but I realized I didn't have a good number for you.
    Sam,ALREADY built. T.C.

  7. #32
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We just signed a contract on a 75' demo quint from Smeal (FEMA says a demo is used, so it worked for our grant). Your suggestions are appreciated for us, even though they weren't intended for us. Obviously, we can only change so much, but your saw box idea on the turntable is one I hadn't thought of. I may be picking your brain for more ideas, considering we'll have somewhat similar animals.
    Glad I could help. Please feel free to ask away anything!
    FTM-PTB DTRT

    Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    You can get Sutphen to quote a 75' straight stick. Put in there you want an aluminum ladder, huck bolt fasteners, and MID-mount. This is a very good 75' quint... great compartmentation and very maneuverable.

  9. #34
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.
    while the galvanizing is intriguing, the rest of the stuff are just toys, just sayin. on my own aerial, we can operate on the short jack side flowing water, with limitations-and that unit is 9 yrs old. with a decent guy on the turn table, excessive motion from standard controls is not an issue. While im all for modernaization, i've just had too many micro switches, software, pdm's, etc on an aerial fail when i needed it the most.

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    For the rosenbauer all this gagets come with a great price, about 2 years ago they come with a mets 102 foot to show us what it can do, yes it is fast and very
    soft to opparate but away to expensive $1,300,000 in canadian dollar. And in that time our dollar was a bit under the us dollar.

    in 2007 we bought a Bronto 114 for $1,ooo,ooo.

  11. #36
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Question regarding portable ladders.

    Does anyone have a 30' 2 section ladder in the ladder tunnel of a single axle quint? Duo's is 18' 3.25" closed length. Would like to see a 30 over a 28 if possible.

  12. #37
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Question regarding portable ladders.

    Does anyone have a 30' 2 section ladder in the ladder tunnel of a single axle quint? Duo's is 18' 3.25" closed length. Would like to see a 30 over a 28 if possible.
    Don't know if this helps BUT: Alco has a solid beam 30' that is 17'9" retracted and a TRUSS beam 30' at 17'8". I have no idea the depth of a single quint box so I can't help you there. T.C.

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Don't know if this helps BUT: Alco has a solid beam 30' that is 17'9" retracted and a TRUSS beam 30' at 17'8". I have no idea the depth of a single quint box so I can't help you there. T.C.
    TC, no interest in Alco, with their weight substantially heavier (truss ladders heavier as well) I am solid on using Duo's channel rail aluminum ladders and have been specing/using them solely for several years now. Thanks though!

  14. #39
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    TC, no interest in Alco, with their weight substantially heavier (truss ladders heavier as well) I am solid on using Duo's channel rail aluminum ladders and have been specing/using them solely for several years now. Thanks though!
    Oh,I see how you are. We have both Duo and Alco,had good service from both. T.C.

  15. #40
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Oh,I see how you are. We have both Duo and Alco,had good service from both. T.C.
    Theres a 27 LB difference, in favor of Duo on a 2 section 28' aluminum ladder. When you are doing 1 man throws, that makes life alot easier.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    It would be in your best interest to take a look at a Rosenbauer Smart Aerial. The aerial has many safety features that keeps the truck in a stable mode. It is the only aerial that allows you to operate the nozzle as a water tower off the short jack side of the truck. This is accomplished through Programmable Logic Control that monitores the functions of the aerial 16 times per second. The soft tuch controls allows you to raise/lower, extend/retract and rotate right or left while changing or stoping the aerial motion without excetive movement of the ladder. The ladder has auto bedding of the ladder along with an envelope control that keeps the ladder from coming in contact with the body. The manufacturer also offers a galvannized ladder coating both the inside and outside of the steel structure. The warranty for the galavannized ladder is 25 years structural and 25 years corrision and rust resistence. Right know it is the safest aerial in the industry.
    The Smart Aerial is the only one I've operated, but it was really smooth and nice. All of our ladders, (well not all, there is one Pierce and one E-One) around here are Rosenbauer/Metz or Rosenbauer/RK. Seem to do well.

  17. #42
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Theres a 27 LB difference, in favor of Duo on a 2 section 28' aluminum ladder. When you are doing 1 man throws, that makes life alot easier.
    Never really weighed ours. And we TRY to avoid one man throws. I',m guessin(without looking)that we are 66% Duo. I'll take a look now that you have Piqued my curiousity. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.

  18. #43
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII View Post
    The Smart Aerial is the only one I've operated, but it was really smooth and nice. All of our ladders, (well not all, there is one Pierce and one E-One) around here are Rosenbauer/Metz or Rosenbauer/RK. Seem to do well.
    As I alluded to earlier,I have NO,ZERO,NADDA issues with Rosenbauer equipment. When talking about aerials,is the Metz "IN" the Rosie smart aerial group?(I KNOW it's a "smart"ladder.) To brand any ONE brand of Ladder as the SAFEST is rather BOLD in my opinion.Especially if you are depending on a COMPUTER to allow/disallow action. SOMEWHERE along here some operator INTELLIGENCE plays in. Yes,even our Smeal has a "fly"computer. But it is only as good as the HUMAN that programmed it. I don't think you'll find many of todays offerings that aren't smooth and nice operating. OR SAFE. Just a musing from an OLD line Bull. T.C.

  19. #44
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Working on this a bit more, looking for where to store two backboards and a basket stretcher on a 75' aerial quint. This will be similar to an E-One HP75/Pierce 75' Aluminum with side stacher hosebed. Ideas?

  20. #45
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Working on this a bit more, looking for where to store two backboards and a basket stretcher on a 75' aerial quint. This will be similar to an E-One HP75/Pierce 75' Aluminum with side stacher hosebed. Ideas?
    A thought or two. Our Stokes is stored on the side of the bed section of the aerial. Our neighbors 75' Pierce has a pair of backboards mounted in a transverse compartment of the Taint just aft of the cab. Taint big enough to put anything else there but it used some wasted space and works GREAT. T.C.

  21. #46
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    191

    Default

    think about not getting a waterway on the ladder, if you need to use the elevated master stream get a single piece of 100' 3 or 4 inch hose and an attachable monitor. Waterways are expensive to maintain and if they don't get used often are even worse. If you think you'll be using the main more for rescue and getting to the roof think about that.

  22. #47
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61 View Post
    think about not getting a waterway on the ladder, if you need to use the elevated master stream get a single piece of 100' 3 or 4 inch hose and an attachable monitor. Waterways are expensive to maintain and if they don't get used often are even worse. If you think you'll be using the main more for rescue and getting to the roof think about that.
    Agreed. For the number of times one uses a waterway......Ditch the pre-piped in favor of a detachable nozzle and a single 75' section of 3.5" hose.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  23. #48
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Working on this a bit more, looking for where to store two backboards and a basket stretcher on a 75' aerial quint. This will be similar to an E-One HP75/Pierce 75' Aluminum with side stacher hosebed. Ideas?
    Is there room inside where the hosebed is to store the backboards?

    Put the stokes on the side of the main section, inside a box?? Put the backboard there as well????? For the number of times you would need a backboard off of a truck company, it's worth it to have to send someone up there to get it........

    Why 2 backboards??? Anything you get that would require 2 backboards you should have plenty of apparatus on the scene already......Personally I would think one backboard is enough (but then again I am also the person that thinks one backboard on a non-ems piece of equipment is too much.......)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    how about in the hosebed? Have an extra divider an 1"-2" away from the wall of the hose bed and you can fit a backboard in the void.

    ditto for avoiding the pre-piped water way. Ours is more of a hassle for the 20 times we are using the ladder to go to the roof than it is the 1 time you need elevated master streams.
    Last edited by nameless; 10-25-2011 at 12:11 AM.

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    A thought or two. Our Stokes is stored on the side of the bed section of the aerial. Our neighbors 75' Pierce has a pair of backboards mounted in a transverse compartment of the Taint just aft of the cab. Taint big enough to put anything else there but it used some wasted space and works GREAT. T.C.
    Hey, isn't that the area (Taint) that they put pumps on quints? Tain't an engine, tain't a truck!
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 10-25-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: To aggravate TC with proper grammar.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Never Forget!
    By wyesguy24 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
  2. ISO Company Personnel
    By FIRE549 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 01-25-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 10:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 07:53 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 08-13-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2002, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register