MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Is there room inside where the hosebed is to store the backboards?

Put the stokes on the side of the main section, inside a box?? Put the backboard there as well????? For the number of times you would need a backboard off of a truck company, it's worth it to have to send someone up there to get it........
    I'd second that. A shallow box can be used as backboard storage and be the back of a signboard for your FD name or logo? This is how our ALF tower is set up, though the box has enough depth for a stokes with the BB inside it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our demo we just bought ended up with a stokes mounted flat above the body on the engineer's side of the rig. Not ideal but it works. They (the station that runs it) shoved a backboard in with the ladders, which I took issue with, but haven't won that battle (yet). It seems to me that it'll hinder deployment of ladders.

Having said that, if you're buying new and built from scratch, I'm sure that a builder could fab a specific spot with the ladders in their storage tunnel for a backboard or two, or like has been mentioned, over the pump house.

Put a photo up to show where the stokes is... (credit to Bill Friedrich for his great photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by npfd801; 10-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Thanks TC, I'm coining the use of Taint instead of Quint

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Hey, isn't that the area (Taint) that they put pumps on quints? Tain't an engine, tain't a truck!
    In fact, be it known from this day forth, I'll be referring to all Quints as Taints.

Forum Member

In fact, be it known from this day forth, I'll be referring to all Quints as Taints.
    I refer to the pump and tank space on a quint as "waste of compartment space."

You can also call the rigs "Bi-Trucksual" (credit to Captain Gonzo)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Let it be known from this day forward that my QUINT will do MORE than your Tower,given crew for crew. At least I get out of TOWN once in awhile. More REACH, MORE firepower, what's NOT to like? You DO realize you are dangerously close to being KIDNAPPED,Yes? T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I refer to the pump and tank space on a quint as "waste of compartment space."

You can also call the rigs "Bi-Trucksual" (credit to Captain Gonzo)
    And BOTH of you can Bite my azz. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Let it be known from this day forward that my QUINT will do MORE than your Tower,given crew for crew. At least I get out of TOWN once in awhile. More REACH, MORE firepower, what's NOT to like? You DO realize you are dangerously close to being KIDNAPPED,Yes? T.C.
    Don't threaten me with a good time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Few items...

This rig will be an engine with an aerial on it. We arent setting up a truck company. The aerial affords more flexibility with eas of use for when its needed and for an aerial stream compared to the rig we currently have. We are switching from a 75' firestix boom (not a fan of the design) to an aerial.

We carry two backboards on our engine. The rig being designed is going to carry the same compliment of equipment with a few changes.

The hosebed isnt favorable, as hose takes priority with the limited size hosebed

The storage on top of the compartments or the aerial box looks like a great idea, thank you!

The fixed waterway is a main attraction of the rig, with the newer XT model Streammaster monitor from Akron, it will allow the waterway to function well at first floor level master stream operations (similar in range to the "telesquirt" booms). No clamp on monitor and hose setup will offer us that flexibility. The main reason for this rig is to have a ladder for immediate rescue needs as well as be able to place an aerial master stream with good range of motion in service quickly with our large wood frame apartments, condos, townhouses and single family homes.

Thank you for the ideas...

MembersZone Subscriber

Also...

Im writing the specs, and Ive decided to take a shot at a crosslay option Ive never remembered seeing..

Because we dont have the hosebed space for the lines to all come off the rear, crosslays are a necessity.

I like the discharges on the panels (LA style), so I took it a step further. Adjustable dividers in the crosslay bed, to allow flexibility in the widths of the slots. Has anyone done this before?

Basically, I envision 200' preconnects, with 100' of dead load hose under it and the preconnected portion attached to the panel discharge just under the slot. This allows the lines to be pulled and connected at any length up to 300' and without the hassles and pressure losses of swivels

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Few items...

The fixed waterway is a main attraction of the rig, with the newer XT model Streammaster monitor from Akron, it will allow the waterway to function well at first floor level master stream operations (similar in range to the "telesquirt" booms). No clamp on monitor and hose setup will offer us that flexibility. The main reason for this rig is to have a ladder for immediate rescue needs as well as be able to place an aerial master stream with good range of motion in service quickly with our large wood frame apartments, condos, townhouses and single family homes.
    This was one of the huge things that was on top of my wishlist for the quint, I wanted this ability to flow at an angle "above" parallel to the aerial. However, for reasons related to grant wording and finite financial numbers, we ended up with the demo in the photo. Certainly thrilled with the thing, especially considering what we had (nothing).
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Also...

Im writing the specs, and Ive decided to take a shot at a crosslay option Ive never remembered seeing..

Because we dont have the hosebed space for the lines to all come off the rear, crosslays are a necessity.

I like the discharges on the panels (LA style), so I took it a step further. Adjustable dividers in the crosslay bed, to allow flexibility in the widths of the slots. Has anyone done this before?

Basically, I envision 200' preconnects, with 100' of dead load hose under it and the preconnected portion attached to the panel discharge just under the slot. This allows the lines to be pulled and connected at any length up to 300' and without the hassles and pressure losses of swivels
    Yup,we have and it works well. Our STANDARD crosslay is 2X 200' 1.75 and 1 200' 2.5. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup,we have and it works well. Our STANDARD crosslay is 2X 200' 1.75 and 1 200' 2.5. T.C.
    Pic?

Forum Member

Of the Standard or adjustable version?

Forum Member

Few items...

This rig will be an engine with an aerial on it. We arent setting up a truck company. The aerial affords more flexibility with eas of use for when its needed and for an aerial stream compared to the rig we currently have. We are switching from a 75' firestix boom (not a fan of the design) to an aerial
    We tried the same. Since you made it work before, I assume you know what you're doing. We failed at this big time, and the rig we bought 7 years ago is an albatross and up for sale. Short story-major weight problems, and attempts to make it work as a Truck Co, despite the lack of space/ladder complement. I wrote about three paragraphs to explain, but deleted it when I figured discretion was the better part of valor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of the Standard or adjustable version?
    adjustable of course

Forum Member

adjustable of course
    See what I can do

Thread Information