Forum Member

Default What to do about license mistakenly suspended

A couple weeks ago I went to rent a car and learned my license was suspended. After a couple calls to the NYS DMV and the county that suspened it, I learned it was a clerical error made by that county. Last May before I was laid off, I recieved a ticket in a work truck. The ticket was for a dirty/obstructed license plate. I paid the ticket promptly then my job reimbursed me. Turns out, the officer who gave me the ticket apparently made two tickets and I can it was an accident. I guess he never caught it and no one else did either. Nothing was said to me when I paid the first ticket and no notice was sent to me other then one about a month before they suspended my license which I never received or I would have definitely remedied this at that time. Now I am in the process of filling out a couple applications as well as process into the Air Force soon as my gf and I get married and now I'm worried about what this is going to look like on my record. I intend to call the DMV and the county to see if this is still on my record (which I am sure it is, why should they care) and set up a court date to get it expunged if necessary. Even if I get this taken off my record will it still show up in background checks? I do not want to lie about but obviously don't want to put a black mark on my applications if I dont have to.

Forum Member

Your liscence being suspsended insnt that big of a deal. Especially for an obstructed liscence plate. Just make sure you explain the situation on the application. Fire depts usually look for more serious stuff than that to knock you out. You should be just fine. Good luck.

Forum Member

Write am explanation of what happened

Run your own drivers license record to see if it shows up

More then likely it will be there and hard to get rid of

Forum Member

Yea I figured even if it gets "erased" off my record it would still show up on an FBI background check like the military does. I know its not the end of the world but it fumes me to know I have to go on explaining this for the next 5 years or however.

Forum Member

There is no such thing as an expunged record. Your story is plausible, but I would recommend getting a letter from the DMV that collaborates your story. Your story is complicated and the water gets muddy. It sounds like a reasonable explanation. Everything clears up nicely with a letter from the court, DMV, or from the local PD. If necessary, attempt to contact the police officer who wrote you the ticket. He certainly would not want to be standing the way of becoming a firefighter for a mistake that HE made.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok - here's a spin on it - what if your tag expires because you dont have $200 to get new tags but you still have to go to work. You get pulled over while driving on the expired tags and get a ticket for $250 for driving on expired tags. Then you have $450 to pay and when you can't pay the $450, the DMV suspends your license. Then you simply pay the fines (after walking to work for a while) and they reinstate your license. Is THAT gonna screw ya??
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

I bet you had plenty of time to think about the answer while you were walking to work......
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information