Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Response Times

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    3

    Lightbulb Response Times

    What are the response time limits for your juniors?
    Max Paine
    Network Admin | Firefighter
    Upper Macungie Township Emergency Services Bldg.
    Allentown, PA
    painem@umtfire56.org
    www.umtfire56.org


  2. #2
    Forum Member jake_WVFD17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wayne, NE
    Posts
    22

    Default

    6 AM to 9 PM during the school year. During the summer it is 24/7.
    "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

    "Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

    343

    jstenka@firehousemail.com

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    mon city
    Posts
    8

    Default

    ours is 6am to 10pm schooldays weekends and summer vacation 24/7

  4. #4
    Forum Member RyanK63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fleetville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    240

    Default

    7 AM to 10 PM during school week. Weekends and summer 24/7.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    635

    Default

    I set these rules for my Explorers/JR FFs:

    If you're on Honor roll at HS 24/7 entire year (yes lots of freedom, but you do you need to keep that 3.5 GPA up)
    If you're not on Honor roll, Sun Night-Thursday Night, 6 AM to 10 PM. If you get a call before 10 PM, you stay the duration of the call, regardless of time. Friday Morning-Sunday Morning: 24 hours. Also, regardless of day of the week, if you do not have school, youre free to respond whenever, no later than 10 PM if you have school the next day

  6. #6
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I set these rules for my Explorers/JR FFs:

    If you're on Honor roll at HS 24/7 entire year (yes lots of freedom, but you do you need to keep that 3.5 GPA up)
    If you're not on Honor roll, Sun Night-Thursday Night, 6 AM to 10 PM. If you get a call before 10 PM, you stay the duration of the call, regardless of time. Friday Morning-Sunday Morning: 24 hours. Also, regardless of day of the week, if you do not have school, youre free to respond whenever, no later than 10 PM if you have school the next day
    Don't know what State you are in, but you may want to double check your child labor laws. Many states have limits for response times for minors during the school year; in Pennsylvania if I remember correctly minors between the ages of 16 and 18 may not respond between the hours of 2300 to 0600.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Don't know what State you are in, but you may want to double check your child labor laws. Many states have limits for response times for minors during the school year; in Pennsylvania if I remember correctly minors between the ages of 16 and 18 may not respond between the hours of 2300 to 0600.
    Checked into that a few years ago. But thanks for the heads up. Just FYI: Illinois child labor laws apply to children under the age of 16. To date we haven't had a JR FF who has completed the required tests for riding "full time" (if you will) before their 16th birthday.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71

    Default

    ...........................
    Last edited by Northern Lights FF; 05-06-2011 at 04:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    ...........................
    Seriously just stop reading posts in this area on the forums. All you do is whine and complain.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71

    Default

    ...........'s ARE A COMPLAINT? seriously?

    I will post anywhere I like....same as "juniors" have posted into every board or topic on here!...even though they don;t "qualify" to do so...

    and for the record, I have seen SOME VERY logical and respectful posts by what I would consider Juniors or explorers with the right attitude...others seem to just wanna play "dress up" and get in the way..

    IF a Junior or Explorer has PROVEN they can be of benifit at a scene , then under PROPER supervision then perhaps they could be of benifit..HOWEVER, just handing kids a pager and saying come to a call is rediculous. Do you all have LIMITS on the number of kids running around a fire scene? 5, 10 or more?...how many specifically dedicated supervising Firefighters?

    And beyond that, seriously, can ANYONE of you read through the posts in this section and NOT SEE how full of complaining and demanding the posts often are...so bad that even other Juniors ( again those same ones I would consider to have a good attitude and grasp on reality) try to put them in their place.

    I read through this to try to see what and how these "Juniors", the ones that will be trying to join the ranks of Firefighters in Departments all over the country think and act.....and for the most part simply shake my head..

  11. #11
    Forum Member nr9306's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    ...........'s ARE A COMPLAINT? seriously?

    I will post anywhere I like....same as "juniors" have posted into every board or topic on here!...even though they don;t "qualify" to do so...

    and for the record, I have seen SOME VERY logical and respectful posts by what I would consider Juniors or explorers with the right attitude...others seem to just wanna play "dress up" and get in the way..

    IF a Junior or Explorer has PROVEN they can be of benifit at a scene , then under PROPER supervision then perhaps they could be of benifit..HOWEVER, just handing kids a pager and saying come to a call is rediculous. Do you all have LIMITS on the number of kids running around a fire scene? 5, 10 or more?...how many specifically dedicated supervising Firefighters?

    And beyond that, seriously, can ANYONE of you read through the posts in this section and NOT SEE how full of complaining and demanding the posts often are...so bad that even other Juniors ( again those same ones I would consider to have a good attitude and grasp on reality) try to put them in their place.

    I read through this to try to see what and how these "Juniors", the ones that will be trying to join the ranks of Firefighters in Departments all over the country think and act.....and for the most part simply shake my head..
    CALM DOWN. Instead of just uselessly barking at people, maybe you should use some of your infinite wisdom and experience to help people, not just putting them down.
    Last edited by nr9306; 05-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Rapid Intervention is a contradiction in terms. Nothing is rapid on a fireground.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Do you all have LIMITS on the number of kids running around a fire scene? 5, 10 or more?...how many specifically dedicated supervising Firefighters?



    Still no one answered that question?.....WELL, lets see.......ANY Minors / Non Firefighters that are on SCENE NEED to be offically and completely SUPERVISED by an authorized Firefighter or Officer ( Adult)..NOT a Junior Officer.....SO....how may kids to each supervising FF/Officer?.....more than 5?

    Funny, even REAL FF's are supposed to have one officer for every 5 firefighters depending on the legislations....SO, IF these kids aren;t being properly supervised, then THEY ARE FREELANCING!.....

    I just find it hard to believe that any Dept. or Officers would WILLINGLY, at a Fire Scene, dump the responsability of watching "juniors" on a Firefighter(s)...given "today's" liabilities and "openly critical of the Fire Services" attitudes in the public......

    More than anywhere, HERE the "risks certainly outweigh the benifits"......

    As a Fire Officer and a father ( 15, 7, 4 and 1 mnth olds...al boys) I would not / will not allow MY kids to be a part of something like this...it's not right nor fair to the Department members to dump that kind of responsability on them...I have, do and will continue to tell my kids to wait, when they are 18, then JOIN a Department as a Firefighter....do it for real, don;t "play" at it...

    And maybe, just maybe, IF some just tried to see and understand some of the issues as I do and have tried to explain them..then they would see that it isn;t "putting them down"....it's explaining a point of view...and trust me...I am calm....I don;t / won;t get all "upset" by a bunch of "Juniors" that I will never meet and have no personal interest in the situation.....

    And I am using my "experience and wisdom" in looking at the situation, and in voicing my concerns....Take it or leave it I don;t care....but maybe the issue is in YOUR perception...maybe YOU should try to LEARN from another viewpoint...especially one that doesn;t agree with yours...maybe wonder...HMMM, could there be some valid points here?......critisism and accepting differing viewpoints are a way to LEARN, and a sign of maturity....
    Last edited by Northern Lights FF; 05-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Forum Member nr9306's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    Do you all have LIMITS on the number of kids running around a fire scene? 5, 10 or more?...how many specifically dedicated supervising Firefighters?



    Still no one answered that question?.....WELL, lets see.......ANY Minors / Non Firefighters that are on SCENE NEED to be offically and completely SUPERVISED by an authorized Firefighter or Officer ( Adult)..NOT a Junior Officer.....SO....how may kids to each supervising FF/Officer?.....more than 5?

    Funny, even REAL FF's are supposed to have one officer for every 5 firefighters depending on the legislations....SO, IF these kids aren;t being properly supervised, then THEY ARE FREELANCING!.....

    I just find it hard to believe that any Dept. or Officers would WILLINGLY, at a Fire Scene, dump the responsability of watching "juniors" on a Firefighter(s)...given "today's" liabilities and "openly critical of the Fire Services" attitudes in the public......

    More than anywhere, HERE the "risks certainly outweigh the benifits"......

    As a Fire Officer and a father ( 15, 7, 4 and 1 mnth olds...al boys) I would not / will not allow MY kids to be a part of something like this...it's not right nor fair to the Department members to dump that kind of responsability on them...I have, do and will continue to tell my kids to wait, when they are 18, then JOIN a Department as a Firefighter....do it for real, don;t "play" at it...

    And maybe, just maybe, IF some just tried to see and understand some of the issues as I do and have tried to explain them..then they would see that it isn;t "putting them down"....it's explaining a point of view...and trust me...I am calm....I don;t / won;t get all "upset" by a bunch of "Juniors" that I will never meet and have no personal interest in the situation.....

    And I am using my "experience and wisdom" in looking at the situation, and in voicing my concerns....Take it or leave it I don;t care....but maybe the issue is in YOUR perception...maybe YOU should try to LEARN from another viewpoint...especially one that doesn;t agree with yours...maybe wonder...HMMM, could there be some valid points here?......critisism and accepting differing viewpoints are a way to LEARN, and a sign of maturity....
    You are still not helping. And yes I have learned something from you. I learned that I should not join your department because I would have to deal with someone who is already prejudiced against all juniors/explorers. From what you have said, (I may be wrong) it appears that you have not dealt with juniors/explorers and therefore have no experience with them on a scene. Let those who deal with juniors/explorers voice concerns that actually exist and that you don't just make up from thin air. SOPs, SOGs and bylaws are in place to address your "issues," so take your prejudices somewhere else. FYI I am one of three juniors, am fully insured (and the only one with a driver's license), and I answer to anyone above me from a regular FF to incident command as well as the captain in charge of the juniors. Our department understands the issues and has dealt with them accordingly. BTW, another great way (and the best way) to learn is through experience, something you clearly don't believe in.

    PS: IF YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST WHY ARE YOU WRITING ABOUT IT?
    Last edited by nr9306; 05-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Rapid Intervention is a contradiction in terms. Nothing is rapid on a fireground.

  14. #14
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    And I am using my "experience and wisdom" in looking at the situation, and in voicing my concerns....Take it or leave it I don;t care....but maybe the issue is in YOUR perception...maybe YOU should try to LEARN from another viewpoint...especially one that doesn;t agree with yours...maybe wonder...HMMM, could there be some valid points here?......critisism and accepting differing viewpoints are a way to LEARN, and a sign of maturity....
    Settle down, Francis.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Response Times
    By HawkeyePierce63 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
  2. Vol. response times / goals
    By osfd100 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
  3. News story on Twin Cities FD response times
    By ameryfd in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2005, 01:20 PM
  4. Staffing.....do the math (see bold text)
    By mtnfireguy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 05:36 PM
  5. NFIRS Response times
    By EMT1301 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts