Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Light Rescue / QRS Unit

We are looking for a light rescue / QRS unit for our department this year. We have been talking about this for some time and have applied for one. We realize that this is a low priority and not likely. We have been fortunate in that we have received grant money to pay off a loan for a "new to us" 86 engine and then the AFG vehicle aquisition grant for a pumper/tanker. We also got a $15,000 vehicle grant to put a new bed, pump, tank, and equipment on our brush truck. Our only vehicle need left is our rescue unit.

Our current fleet is:
    - '86 E-one Pumper
    - '07 Rosenbauer Pumper / Tanker
    - '85 Chevy Brush Truck
    - '96 Dodge Rescue

Up until 7 years ago, the rescue was our best unit. We purchased a 96 Dodge 3500 with a V10 and regular cab. We then bought a utility bed. The members then assembled the truck, painted it, wired everything, and then mounted everything. This was in 96. This unit rolls on 80% of all our calls. We run about 100 calls a year but this number has been rising lately. This vehicle carries our EMS equipment as well as basic extrication equipment, air bags, and Holmatro unit. We do not want to put any water or pump on the unit as we are already loading the truck to where we feel comfortable.

We realize that with the current economic climate that we cannot count on grants forever. As such, we voted to match $25,000 towards the vehicle. We estimate the cost of the unit to be approximately $90,000 - $100,000.

Do you think that by increasing our matching portion to 25% - 30% that we are increasing our cost benefit to where we might make it even past the computer?

Forum Member

Nope, Priority 2 isn't seeing Peer Review no matter how much you match. Only way it's going to happen is slapping a small pump and tank on it and calling it a quick attack for replacing the 85 brush truck. Throw the same compartments on it as the 96 or even upgrade and you have a shot.

Gotta agree with bc79er here, saying anything about it being rescue is going to knock you out at computer as it will be off the Priority 1 list. Quick attack with high side utilities to haul euipment and a 250gal tank and water for a quick attack is the way to go. They have been allowing out to $125K on them.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Talking

Got to remember that in the neighborhood of 50% of all priority 1 vehicle apps don't make it to the funding level.
    A priority 2 won't fly no matter how you dress it up. Plus the age of the current vehicle would kill it for certain.

Thanks for the feedback, even though it definitely isn't what I wanted to hear.

So would there be a chance of doing a refurb on the body (new body)? The current one is reusted through and we are patching frequently. Would we be better off asking for a chasis as this one does not have AC, would make our entire fleet uniform (diesel), or would that still be considered priority 2?

We could afford, through other financing, to take a loan on replacing half of the unit if the other could be taken care of. Whether we are paying for the body or the chasis, it is about even in terms of money.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Forum Member

New body is still a vehicle app, won't float for the same reasons. Same with new chassis. Only hope is trying to hit the brush angle and make it multipurpose.

MembersZone Subscriber

As the guys pointed out there is no chance of being awarded a rescue. The only way to accomplish this is through a multi-use vehicle. A brush or quick attack vehicle with a rescue style body would be a possible solution to the problem.

We were awarded in 2005 for a brush truck. It's primary focus is brush fires, but can be used for multiple uses such as a tow vehicle and rescue. The vehicle is equipped with a rescue style body with rollup doors. During the winter months the pump and tank are drained and equipment such as hose, floating pump etc. stored in the compartments are removed and the vehicle is used to carry the department's ice water rescue equipment.

Here's a link to the company that we purchased from and the type of vehicle that was purchased.

http://www.classicfirellc.com/frfu.asp

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    As the guys pointed out there is no chance of being awarded a rescue. The only way to accomplish this is through a multi-use vehicle. A brush or quick attack vehicle with a rescue style body would be a possible solution to the problem.

We were awarded in 2005 for a brush truck. It's primary focus is brush fires, but can be used for multiple uses such as a tow vehicle and rescue. The vehicle is equipped with a rescue style body with rollup doors. During the winter months the pump and tank are drained and equipment such as hose, floating pump etc. stored in the compartments are removed and the vehicle is used to carry the department's ice water rescue equipment.

Here's a link to the company that we purchased from and the type of vehicle that was purchased.

http://www.classicfirellc.com/frfu.asp
    Hey bugle that is a sharp unit. Is that foam system an injection or induction? Not familiar with that foam system. We are looking at adding one of some kind to our brush unit. Class A on brush and wood fires really makes a big deference. You can knock it down once and usually you donít have to go back and hit the flare upís. I have added dishwashing soap to the tank but itís a pain when you fill back up. If you donít mind tell me what that truck cost.
    Thanks dfd701

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Hey bugle that is a sharp unit. Is that foam system an injection or induction? Not familiar with that foam system. We are looking at adding one of some kind to our brush unit. Class A on brush and wood fires really makes a big deference. You can knock it down once and usually you donít have to go back and hit the flare upís. I have added dishwashing soap to the tank but itís a pain when you fill back up. If you donít mind tell me what that truck cost.
    Thanks dfd701
    dfd701,

The foam system is an injection style very easy to operate. The award was for $135K with the truck costing $133,458. The excess funds were used to purchase radios for the vehicle; in the end we spent $136,208.

Talking

Classic fire was just purchased by Crimson/spartan this month.
    They were producing brush trucks , tankers and small engines for E-One dealers.

Thanks Onebugle. Donít see the City ever coming up that kind of money for us. Have to buy new police cars every year. I try not to say never because we have a City election next year and one day they will get their priorities right. Our brush truck is used more than any other truck we have. Making that statement about the PD is going to upset some that post here so just to stop that in its tracks here it is. The police department budget: $535,000 and the fire department budget: $107,000 enough said.
    Ed there is a lot of larger companies taking over smaller ones lately. I guess the smaller ones donít have the capital to make it any more with all the tax breaks the larger ones get from the fedís. I got a letter from our internet account provider were they are going to start charging extra if you send out a certain amount of data through their network. That opens up a can of worms as far as the internet being free. Looking for the fed to start taxing you for using the internet next. It is coming. They see some revenue and they are going to get it. My opinion only.
    Have a great day you all.
    dfd701

Forum Member

HuntPA, are you a licensed QRS service? If so, EMSOP funding can get you up to $10,000 towards a QRS vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

ok I give, what is a qrs vehicle? must be a regional thing.

Forum Member

Quick Response Service, EMS first-response. Yankee/PA thing.

Yes we are liscensed, and $10,000 will help, especially after getting the news about our chances of AFG funding.

Since I started the thread, I might as well continue on similar lines:

Seeing as the rescue is a futile expense of energy, would we be better off going for a refurb grant for a chassis under our '85 brush truck, or should we go for the whole thing? Seeing as how we are only 3 years removed from getting $15,000 for the bed on the brush truck, would we be precluded from replacing the entire vehicle? One thought on this being that we could modify our current design so that the "brush" unit would also carry our extrication tools, cribbing, and other stuff. This would make it into our defacto rescue and we could then replace our current rescue unit with an SUV for purely medical purposes. This would greatly reduce our expense on replacing the current rescue both now and in the future.

Thoughts?

And again, I would like to thank you all for the help in getting this figured out.

Forum Member

You mean like I mentioned in Post #2?

Forum Member

never mind..
    Last edited by MedicDVG; 03-31-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Yes we are liscensed, and $10,000 will help, especially after getting the news about our chances of AFG funding.

Since I started the thread, I might as well continue on similar lines:

Seeing as the rescue is a futile expense of energy, would we be better off going for a refurb grant for a chassis under our '85 brush truck, or should we go for the whole thing? Seeing as how we are only 3 years removed from getting $15,000 for the bed on the brush truck, would we be precluded from replacing the entire vehicle? One thought on this being that we could modify our current design so that the "brush" unit would also carry our extrication tools, cribbing, and other stuff. This would make it into our defacto rescue and we could then replace our current rescue unit with an SUV for purely medical purposes. This would greatly reduce our expense on replacing the current rescue both now and in the future.

Thoughts?

And again, I would like to thank you all for the help in getting this figured out.
    A little confused here.{but thats normal}
    Did you get a 15k grant from AFg for the bed on the brush truck 3 years ago?
    If so then that would lower your score in the overall picture unless you can reuse it on a new chassis. Reviewers would wonder why you spent 15 k on the bed to only get three more years life out of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    A little confused here.{but thats normal}
    Did you get a 15k grant from AFg for the bed on the brush truck 3 years ago?
    If so then that would lower your score in the overall picture unless you can reuse it on a new chassis. Reviewers would wonder why you spent 15 k on the bed to only get three more years life out of the vehicle.
    That is why I thought it may be better to go for just the chassis as the bed is obviously still good. My chief brought up the fact that the bed was put on and outfitted to meet NFPA for the year of the truck ('85) and that their may be issues with NFPA compliance if we update the chassis without also upgrading the equipment.

Forum Member

Going to have more of an issue on answering why if it's only 3 years old was it only built to meet the 1985 version of NFPA 1906? After all, newer version of that was in place in 2008 so it begs the question since all refurbs have to meet the current NFPA version at the time of the refurb, why was NFPA violated then? Probably better to not get into those minute details and just worry about why the chassis needs replacing since you managed to make a step forward with the rest on your own.

Thread Information