Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
  1. #41
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    12% of the world's oil supply isn't "much"?
    But,this isn't about oil.Even I can see that the intent was to level the playing field when one side of a fight has airpower and the other is a militia(citizens armed on their own hook to depose a dictator) with no air power and only such heavy weapons as they are able to capture while using light infantry arms.
    Are the people against any US intervention in this fight in favor of Khadaffi being able to run roughshod over his own people?What would that say about the United States if we didn't think that other people's Freedom was worth fighting for,just because it "doesn't involve us"?
    Probably the same as they used to think, oh wait, nobdy cared whether we were involed unles it was a world war situation. In fact, our interfering with every country's issues is what lead to us being hated in the world to begin with. We can't be a world police. Look at what it's doing to our economy. If we're to be the world's police then there shouldn't have been any issues with us going to Iraq as well then right?


  2. #42
    105
    105 is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I trust the Democrats and Republicans about as much as I trust a Cobra versus a cotton mouth.
    That pretty much sums it all up right there.

  3. #43
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    In fact, our interfering with every country's issues is what lead to us being hated in the world to begin with.
    That is not why we are hated...

    We are hated because we have freedom. Freedom that isn't controlled (for the most part) by a religious belief. Another reason is that we have the right to pick our political leadership.

    Lastly, it is a fundamental belief in this country that we believe that all of mankind has these rights by virtue of being human.

    That threatens a good majority of the world.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  4. #44
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    If they hate us for helping out every time some nation suffers a natural disaster or needs help ousting a dictator,just wait until we manage to elect some isolationist President who won't allow the troops to leave our shores unless the country is attacked and more civilians killed as a result.
    The countries who hate us the most have also been among the first to scream for help from Uncle Sam when they need and/or want it to solve their problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Probably the same as they used to think, oh wait, nobdy cared whether we were involed unles it was a world war situation. In fact, our interfering with every country's issues is what lead to us being hated in the world to begin with. We can't be a world police. Look at what it's doing to our economy. If we're to be the world's police then there shouldn't have been any issues with us going to Iraq as well then right?

  5. #45
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So, you supported the US liberation of the Iraqi people, right?
    That's right.If Operation Iraqi Freedom was started over oil,why are we paying closer to $4.00/gallon for gasoline instead of getting gas stipends as the troops still on duty in Iraq watch the sand dunes collapse as we suck that country dry for our own tanker fleet?(Don't get me started on how few US flagged tankers and other merchies there really are)
    Last edited by doughesson; 04-11-2011 at 02:46 PM.

  6. #46
    105
    105 is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    If they hate us for helping out every time some nation suffers a natural disaster or needs help ousting a dictator,just wait until we manage to elect some isolationist President who won't allow the troops to leave our shores unless the country is attacked and more civilians killed as a result.
    The countries who hate us the most have also been among the first to scream for help from Uncle Sam when they need and/or want it to solve their problems.
    As valid today as it was in 1973.

    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...eamericans.htm

  7. #47
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    You are extremely naive if you think this Libyan operation will only remain an air effort.
    Isn't it amazing how true that statement has been proved.

    The top ten democratic slogans are spot on.

    We found out today that the administration and the democrats are really not willing to cut anything. They are the ones playing games. The Army got half pay today and that was definitely not done by the House. This is the dems Playing games friends.

    Can your believe that Reid actually said that the Republicans do not care about womens health? How did he get planned parenthood get on the same level as womens health. This is the spin and shell game. Like comparing football with terrorism.

    Remember, his former counterpart, Nancy Pelosi said in November 2006, that it was perfectly OK for the Government to lie if it is in the best interests of the nation. Can you imagine what the media and dems would do if Boehner or Bush had said that? Typical.

    Remember, The GOP promised before the mid terms that they intended to cut 100 billion in spending and the democrats have the nerve to be surprised? The democrats failed to meet the requirements by not setting a budget for the last two years, like they are supposed to do. Incredible.
    Last edited by jam24u; 04-08-2011 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #48
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    If they hate us for helping out every time some nation suffers a natural disaster or needs help ousting a dictator,just wait until we manage to elect some isolationist President who won't allow the troops to leave our shores unless the country is attacked and more civilians killed as a result.
    The countries who hate us the most have also been among the first to scream for help from Uncle Sam when they need and/or want it to solve their problems.
    So all of those Islamic extremists that were/are still in Afghanistan loved us sooooo much for helping them against USSR right? Same with Iraq when we helped to oust the old Govt. and ole Saddy took their place. Iran ring a bell. All we get from helping is **** on, so why do we do it?

    No one ever comes to our aid when we have natural disasters or any kind of national crisis, say, 9/11.

    Actually, they'll probably be happy to be rid of the arogant attitude that our foreign policy makers have established of thinking we can fix everything in this world. It's NONE of our business, we don't belong there. But, if you guys want to keep putting your heads in the dirt and ignore the issues, go right ahead, just don't fault others for seeing that it's not right.

  9. #49
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Awesome.

  10. #50
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    12% of the world's oil supply isn't "much"?
    But,this isn't about oil.
    Actually, this time, it is. Ever wonder WHY France, of all countries, got involved FIRST?



    Even I can see that the intent was to level the playing field when one side of a fight has airpower and the other is a militia(citizens armed on their own hook to depose a dictator) with no air power and only such heavy weapons as they are able to capture while using light infantry arms.
    Way to swallow the hook.

    Are the people against any US intervention in this fight in favor of Khadaffi being able to run roughshod over his own people?
    Obama raked Bush up and down for involving the US in Iraq without any threat to our national security.

    I'm sorry, when exactly did Libya threaten our national security? Or do the rules change when a Democrat is in office?

  11. #51
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    That's right.If Operation Iraqi Freedom was started over oil,why are we paying closer to $4.00/gallon for gasoline instead of getting gas stipends as the tropps still on duty in Iraq watch the sand dunes collapse as we suck that country dry for our own tanker fleet?(Don't get me started on how few US flagged tankers and other merchies there really are)
    That's because you have a naive belief that oil prices are tied to our benevolent acts.

    They aren't. They are tied to what companies selling gasoline belief they can get from the populace.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  12. #52
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    That's because you have a naive belief that oil prices are tied to our benevolent acts.

    They aren't. They are tied to what companies selling gasoline belief they can get from the populace.
    What the??? You mean to tell me you and I agree on something?

  13. #53
    105
    105 is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    That's because you have a naive belief that oil prices are tied to our benevolent acts.
    Are you telling me this man doesn't have me and my family's best interests at heart?



    It's like finding out that Santa Claus was murdered by the tooth fairy :(

  14. #54
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Are you telling me this man doesn't have me and my family's best interests at heart?
    It's like finding out that Santa Claus was murdered by the tooth fairy
    Only if you and your family are major stockholders.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    I remember back in 1987 being told to go to other ships claiming to be an engineer( I used to be before crossrating into being a Bosun's Mate) in order to obtain paint brushes and other gear we needed to clean and preserve my destroyer.None of the ships in Charleston naval Station would trade with any other ship because budget wasn't being passed by a Democratic controlled Congress.My Chief had to do some fast talking to some officers from other ships when "Fireman Hesson" was seen mustering for Quarters,Muster and Inspection on the foc'sle with my ship's 1st Division instead of with the snipes at their fair weather parade.It was a rare thing for me to be praised for not having converted to Seaman rating because I still had my Fireman(E-3) stripes on my dress uniform.
    I also remember being paid only up to date during the last couple months of 1987 because,again, the Senate was unable to pass a budget in order to keep the government working due to the Democrats trying to make things harder for President Reagan.
    That can't happen now because the Democrat still hold a majority in the Senate but even so,they can't get all non essential add ons they want into the budget with the Republicans opposing them.
    The reason these are the biggest budget cuts in American history is that this country has never had a President with the nerve to spend as much in his first year in office as Barack Hussein Obama has done.


    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Isn't it amazing how true that statement has been proved.

    The top ten democratic slogans are spot on.

    We found out today that the administration and the democrats are really not willing to cut anything. They are the ones playing games. The Army got half pay today and that was definitely not done by the House. This is the dems Playing games friends.

    Can your believe that Reid actually said that the Republicans do not care about womens health? How did he get planned parenthood get on the same level as womens health. This is the spin and shell game. Like comparing football with terrorism.

    Remember, his former counterpart, Nancy Pelosi said in November 2006, that it was perfectly OK for the Government to lie if it is in the best interests of the nation. Can you imagine what the media and dems would do if Boehner or Bush had said that? Typical.

    Remember, The GOP promised before the mid terms that they intended to cut 100 billion in spending and the democrats have the nerve to be surprised? The democrats failed to meet the requirements by not setting a budget for the last two years, like they are supposed to do. Incredible.

  16. #56
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    You tell me.I didn't vote for Barrack Hussein Obama and wouldn't even if you threatened to shoot my dog(sorry,Rex.You can handle that problem yourself) but I am looking at Libya like this:They are trying to overthrow a dictator and even though I think US troops will be deploying there in the future,I think that helping the revolutionaries by giving them air support is a good idea.
    Believe you me,it is taking a lot to admit that.But,apparently the rules DO change when a liberal Democrat is in the White House.
    I just wish that the media was hammering the President like they did to George Walker Bush for having the audacity to hope that he could get the United Nations to approve his enforcing their mandates against Iraq back in 2003.I think the UN was suproised that he'd actually do it since Bill Clinton went to them numerous times for permission but never followed through.
    Where is the UN mandate for this action,though and why aren't more Democrats opposing it since we have no interests there?

    Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Actually, this time, it is. Ever wonder WHY France, of all countries, got involved FIRST?





    Way to swallow the hook.



    Obama raked Bush up and down for involving the US in Iraq without any threat to our national security.

    I'm sorry, when exactly did Libya threaten our national security? Or do the rules change when a Democrat is in office?

  17. #57
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Where is the UN mandate for this action,though and why aren't more Democrats opposing it since we have no interests there?
    There is exactly one (1) UN resolution related to our current "kinetic military action" (is that anything like "police action"?) against Libya. But that's ok, because The One is running.. well, he was touring South America when it started. You knew it was serious, because he cut his trip short by 3 hours. It's ok though, at least the French military was there on day 1, with their vast military experi... nevermind.

    There were seventeen (17) Resolutions whose violation authorized action against Iraq. Yet Bush is somehow a "war criminal." Uh huh.
    Last edited by emt161; 04-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.

  18. #58
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I remember back in 1987 being told to go to other ships claiming to be an engineer( I used to be before crossrating into being a Bosun's Mate) in order to obtain paint brushes and other gear we needed to clean and preserve my destroyer.None of the ships in Charleston naval Station would trade with any other ship because budget wasn't being passed by a Democratic controlled Congress.My Chief had to do some fast talking to some officers from other ships when "Fireman Hesson" was seen mustering for Quarters,Muster and Inspection on the foc'sle with my ship's 1st Division instead of with the snipes at their fair weather parade.It was a rare thing for me to be praised for not having converted to Seaman rating because I still had my Fireman(E-3) stripes on my dress uniform.
    I also remember being paid only up to date during the last couple months of 1987 because,again, the Senate was unable to pass a budget in order to keep the government working due to the Democrats trying to make things harder for President Reagan.
    That can't happen now because the Democrat still hold a majority in the Senate but even so,they can't get all non essential add ons they want into the budget with the Republicans opposing them.
    The reason these are the biggest budget cuts in American history is that this country has never had a President with the nerve to spend as much in his first year in office as Barack Hussein Obama has done.
    Red - That's called "tactically aquiring", not obtaining. So much for honor and integrity right?

    As for the rest of your post, that is why I'm so wholeheartedly disappointed in our govenrment. I mean they have ALL sunk to new lows. Where does it end? Does it end with the American people demanding a smaller, less interfering federal government again? Just wondering.

  19. #59
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Actually,Mexico DID send a convoy of relief supplies until there was a big stink about it which caused the trucks to be unloaded and take even longer for those supplies to get to NOLA causing more excoriation of President Bush.(it sounded like a commie sympathizer plot to me at the time.)
    I still say that if we retreated into isolationism again,there will come a day when someone needs help,calls for Uncle Sam to makee makee fixee fixxee only to hear "Tough Noogies" from the sitting President.
    Then people will REALLY hate us for not helping even if we still are the richest nation on the planet with the most capable miltary able to go beyond the bounds of their mission to break things and kill people in order to transport food and other relief supplies across the planet faster than any other country can.


    Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    ....
    No one ever comes to our aid when we have natural disasters or any kind of national crisis, say, 9/11.

    ....Actually, they'll probably be happy to be rid of the arogant attitude that our foreign policy makers have established of thinking we can fix everything in this world. It's NONE of our business, we don't belong there. But, if you guys want to keep putting your heads in the dirt and ignore the issues, go right ahead, just don't fault others for seeing that it's not right.

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    No,we improvised,adapted and overcame.Those aforementioned ossifers INCLUDING me own Division officer who should have been saying "My man,right or wrong,he is MY man and not yours to punish" were after me for impersonation,even though I still wore Fireman's stripes(red) while in a Seaman's(white) billet.BTW,guess who sent me?Wasn't the Chief or Leading Petty Officer.
    They couldn't gig me for theft of government property because as soon as the budget did pass,I and the other guy who helped took what we'd gotten from our own ship's allotment back to the ships we'd gotten the supplies from and told them "Here's what we got from y'all back.Thanks much".Besides,I was asking my Div O how he'd like to be up on the highwire with me if I really was facing a court martial.You wouldn't expect a naval officer to back down from an E-3 like that.He knew I wasn't bluffing and that it wasn't an "I wuz only following orders.." defense.
    As to smaller government,we have to elect representatives who truly believe that and will leave office at the end of their terms instead of staying on for the bennies.Make them have to wait to be eligible for retirement like you and I have to,then we'll see fewer trying to get on the gravy train.

    Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Red - That's called "tactically aquiring", not obtaining. So much for honor and integrity right?

    As for the rest of your post, that is why I'm so wholeheartedly disappointed in our govenrment. I mean they have ALL sunk to new lows. Where does it end? Does it end with the American people demanding a smaller, less interfering federal government again? Just wondering.
    Last edited by doughesson; 04-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 06-07-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 08:41 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 05-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 08:04 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 04-10-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:03 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 01-13-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 08-10-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts