Forum Member

Default Local Department Testing, any quick advice?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am a 25 yr old male who will be starting testing for my local department in a few weeks, starting with the written test. I cannot think of a more honorable and honest living than begin a firefighter, and I am going to give this all I got, and will continue to do so. I have a high school education, am an Eagle Scout of the Boy Scouts of America, and currently certified as an EMT-B. Whenever possible, I have a passion for helping others and such. I have no previous fire training but this is what I have decided I want to do with my life. So, as I have said the written is coming up. I picked up a copy of Paul Lepore's Smoke your Firefighter's Written Exam, and will be picking up the rest of the series in the near future. I work out regularly, and also got a 60 lbs weight vest I have been training with. Any words of advice or wisdom for this stage or any stage of the hiring process? I realize you guys get a lot of these posts, I am just looking for any tips I can pick up from knowledgeable people so I can make my dream become a reality! Thank you for your time guys.

Forum Member

Sounds like you're doing everything that you could possibly be doing. One of the most important things that you can do between now and the end of your career is keep your butt out of trouble. Agencies are looking for the best possible candidates. When it comes to a background check be forthright and honest! The only thing that you've not done which is not counted against you is not being a veteran. Those 5 points could be the difference between getting selected and not.
    Best of luck on the exam!

Forum Member

To add, find your weaknesses (math for myself) and try to improve so you have less obsticles during the hiring process and when your employed. Your on the right path! Good luck! Also, if this is what you want to do, take every test you have the opportunity to.

Thread Information