Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Facebook & other social network sites

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We have text on dispatch, and I have it repeated to our department FB page. Only the subject line appears (just the responding department(s)), and I'll usually add something after the fact. For EMS calls, anyone listening to their scanner has more information than I put on FB, which will amount to "Seizures," or "Subject fallen".

On fire calls and the like I'll usually add more detail, but again, not as much as comes over the air in the first place, and certainly not the detail that will show up in the news. One MA structure fire comment I added included a "well done" to the home department for a great stop.

The other thing on the FB page is our scheduled fund-raisers. That's kind of nice because FB sends out reminders. Easy advertising to those who follow our FB page.

There are a few pictures there as well, and those pictures generally appear on our website as well.
    There's no big deal in posting info. in facebook as long as the details are very important for everybody's safety and you don't hurt any body in your posted information. Besides is one way to speak or inform the public for some safety and precautions..It really helps a lot..

Forum Member

The local career department has made posting pics/videos from fire scenes a severe disciplinary issue, to the point of being a firing offence. This arose after member posted a video of an MVA fatality on youtube - the video was taken down, but management *was not* very happy about the publicity it generated.

Personally, I see no problem with "back from a car fire" on facebook. But publishing pictures gets tricky - it's ultimately a personal judgment call, but I personally would refrain from publishing pictures taken from a fire scene unless vetted and approved by the chief. Now, that said, I have no problems with pictures taken for personal use at a fire scene, unless it starts to border into the grotesque. It's one thing to take pictures of a fully-involved structure fire, quite another to take pictures of the dead occupants in an MVA.

tl;dr - really, it's up to you. But be sensitive of what you post.

The only time I make posts on my FB is we catch a good working fire, and I only post "YAY WE FINALLY GOT A FIRE!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

I think facebook and twitter can be used to a fire departments benefit is done right. Yes post trainings, fundraisers etc. Post calls is a great way to show the public what fire departments do and how often. Now yes don't post pics or give details. Just keep it simple like" house fire today mutal aid called in" Keep it to details that would not cause privacy problems.
    A post above mention about "staying under the radar" I think one of the problems fire departments have is we do just that. So the public doesn't have a real idea about what we do. This is especially true with volunteer departments. Use facebook to show what the fire department is doing and how often. Make the fire department a house hold word and conversation in a good way and it will take you a long way in fund raising and help convincing the town politians to keep you funded.

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    So the public doesn't have a real idea about what we do. This is especially true with volunteer departments.
    Too true. In a discussion about the recent "Recruit NY" recruitment campaign on a local forum, one person posted that his FD had done a survey of their "customers" and found that virtually none of them realized that they were even served by a volunteer department. While that is good from a professionalism point of view, it sucks when it comes to attracting new members.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

We post pics on FB/website with faces and plates blurred. Also, I don't put them up right away, which I guess serves as a good way to not let them family see what happened before they know, but that's not my intent. I'm usually just too lazy/busy

Instead of posting status updates and pics of calls, why not create a fan page for your dept and keep it all in one area? That way, if someone reeeally wants to know what you're up to fire wise.. then they can check in at will.

Keep the names, personal info, & addresses out of the FB message & i personally don't care.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Our department has a policy against posting pics, unless it is entirely generic. Personally, none of my friends care about calls I go on, and I am not in the habit of posting my every move.

Also, you should take into consideration patient privacy and confidentiallity. Think about how you would feel if you were in their shoes.

The only posting I ever do concerning my department is public service announcements, or website links, such as Firewise.org.

My department actually has a Facebook page. We post training, fundraisers, and calls. We blur plates on any vehicle that is not a members personal vehicle or emergency vehicle. Exact locations of calls are never disclosed. We will put a street name but nothing more. Help preserve the privacy of people but also lets the public know what is going on in their community.

You also have to keep in mind when it comes to privacy...anyone with a scanner hears everything that is going on.

Forum Member

As long as it's general information like that, then your dept. can't really complain. But yeah, it is kinda lame... no offense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68;1258286[COLOR="Red"
    ]We have text on dispatch, and I have it repeated to our department FB page. Only the subject line appears (just the responding department(s)), and I'll usually add something after the fact. For EMS calls, anyone listening to their scanner has more information than I put on FB, which will amount to "Seizures," or "Subject fallen".[/COLOR]

On fire calls and the like I'll usually add more detail, but again, not as much as comes over the air in the first place, and certainly not the detail that will show up in the news. One MA structure fire comment I added included a "well done" to the home department for a great stop.

The other thing on the FB page is our scheduled fund-raisers. That's kind of nice because FB sends out reminders. Easy advertising to those who follow our FB page.

There are a few pictures there as well, and those pictures generally appear on our website as well.
    I like this. I think that would be beneficial to those, that have community members that have the line of thought that of "Those firefighters sit around all day and don't do anything". I know in our community we have had issues with our millage's because they feel that we don't do much, and we are fine with the amount of money they agreed to over a decade ago, when our run volumes we more than 1/2 what they are now.

On the other side of that, it could hurt departments that are actually sitting around not doing anything.

If you have to ask whether or not this is ok you probably already know the answer.

Some have posted about content, some about posting at all and still others about the benefits of posting. It really doesn't matter.
    This is a question you need to pose to your chief not us, it is your chiefs call.

Sorry dude. I have a feeling that wasn't the answer you wanted.

Forum Member

Unfortunately, a true story. Friend of mine was at an MVA yesterday, 2-vehicle head-on, minor/moderate injuries, but both vehicles caught fire. He posted a pic on Facebook of the two vehicles after extinguishment. That was how one woman's son was notified that his family had been in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by xchief23 View Post
    Unfortunately, a true story. Friend of mine was at an MVA yesterday, 2-vehicle head-on, minor/moderate injuries, but both vehicles caught fire. He posted a pic on Facebook of the two vehicles after extinguishment. That was how one woman's son was notified that his family had been in a crash.
    Bingo.

As I mentioned earlier (here, or in another thread), it doesn't take FB for that to happen - even a gung-ho local news website can make it happen (as it has here in my area).

If you're going to put stuff out there, you have to be mindful of such possibilities. Waiting a day or two may take some of the adrenaline out of it, but it reduces the possibility of an event such as noted here.

OTOH, we can only control our own people - it's entirely possible that a "man on the street" could have posted that picture - or even video. Check out Statter911 - a significant number of the videos Dave posts are from "citizen journalists."
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Our department has a current rule that is as follows:
    1. All pictures have to be approved by the Chief prior to posting.
    2. All information deciminated must be generic in nature.
    2. All license plates, house numbers, etc must be blurred out.
    4. No images of people without thier consent.
    4. No images of patients and/or victoms in any way will be posted.
    5. No cell phones on scene. (this rule elimates about 90% of the problem...
    On an alternate note which you might enjoy a medic friend of mine was at the beach a couple of weeks ago whereas a victom washed up on the beach and they began performing CPR on the victom. Someone called 911 and of course the croud begin moving in. A State Trooper was the first to arrive and attempted to dispurse the croud but of course the began to come right back in. In what I thought was the coolest thing that I had ever heard was the Trooper then began to grab Cell Phones from the crowd who was videoing and taking pictures and threw them into the ocean. My hat is off to him for his actions.
    William C. Allison II
    Fire Captain
    Tazewell County Fire-Rescue

Thread Information