MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDIC 2011 Extrication Things of Interest

On the exhibit floor of this year's FDIC are some new extrication-related happenings. In no particular order, here are a few to mention;

1) Hurst has a big display area inside the Convention Center as usual. What is unique about their booth this year is that they have built a plexi-glass room within their carpeted exhibit area. Inside that 'room' is a brand new Ford Fiesta 4-door automobile. During the exhibit hours Thursday, Friday, and Saturday you will be able to stand outside of the room and look through the clear walls as their factory reps use their electric/hydraulic tools to cut the vehicle apart.

On one wall is a special window opening. Mounted in this window is an electric cutter sort of suspended in the wall. The plan is to have conference attendees, standing outside the Plexi-glass room, run the tool while a factory rep inside the room holds a Boron B-pillar up to the tool. You'll feel like you're doing the cutting and you'll be able to see how their newest generation tools go through these Advanced Steel pillars.

2) TNT has exhibit space actually inside Lucas Oil Stadium. Their lineup this year includes a sight that TNT owners are probably not too familiar with; blue TNT tools. The blue colored equipment is their 5,500psi low pressure line.

3) In an outside area, outside of the Convention Center, are areas set up with junk cars. Attendees of FDIC will be able to go outside and witness demonstrations of extrication tools by various manufacturers such as Hurst and TNT. The temperature in Indy Thursday will be 38degrees with freezing rain so we'll see how those outside demos go.

4) Holmatro, Phoenix, Genesis, Champion, Res-Q Tec, Lancier, Viking, PowerHawk, and Amkus, are here as well so there will be more updates from their product line as I make contact with them and get the latest scoop.

5) Struts 'R Us is the impression you get as you check into the offerings from the rescue manufacturers. There are struts everywhere. Seems that now there are lots and lots of choices; some light-duty, others heavy-duty. Struts are available now from not just companies dedicated to struts like Rescue 42 and Res-Q Jack but from companies such as Res-Q Tec and Genesis. They all have quite a selection of struts to offer this year. Makes sense. The customer who buys a power rescue tool system should also be purchasing struts for their tool inventory so why not. All kinds of struts for the same basic purpose but with a nice variety of designs, features, and choices for a fire department. My bottom line is that a functional set of struts with the necessary accessories is no longer a luxury item; it is an essential element of a well-equipped vehicle rescue agency. Got struts?

6) Exhibit booths from lots of the "other guys" are at FDIC this year as well. Vendors such as Ajax, Ogura, and Glas-Master are here with nice displays of their specific vehicle rescue tools.

If you have a question for a vendor, reply to this posting and I'll see if I can get you an answer that we all can share and learn from. Let me know...
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TNT Echo Pump

The new TNT Echo pump looks interesting. Interested in how this technology performs vs. the shunt couplers. It is my understanding that this can also be added to existing pumps as an upgrade option.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a news flash...

The single hydraulic line inside a larger hydraulic hose line design that has up until now been solely a Holmatro feature has now been cloned by Genesis. When I asked the Holmatro reps about that, the comment was "Anybody can have CORE". Well, now there's two of you that have it. The Genesis single line is ironically a bright, bright traffic cone orange. Go figure...

The Genesis single line hose comes with the same quick-disconnect, hot-swappable coupling used also by HURST.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is an image of a section of the new Genesis single hose line as seen at FDIC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Holmatro has a hand operated "Power Wedge" tool. The 26 pound tool slips into a 1/4-inch space to start. As you pump it by hand, it shoves a 'wedge' forward. The spreading end opens up to 2 inches. They say it is for starting a 'purchase' when you have only a small space to get started; like with a USAR building collapse situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Hand Operated Power Wedge extended to the 2 inch spread.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    Here's a news flash...

The single hydraulic line inside a larger hydraulic hose line design that has up until now been solely a Holmatro feature has now been cloned by Genesis. When I asked the Holmatro reps about that, the comment was "Anybody can have CORE". Well, now there's two of you that have it. The Genesis single line is ironically a bright, bright traffic cone orange. Go figure...

The Genesis single line hose comes with the same quick-disconnect, hot-swappable coupling used also by HURST.
    From the looks of it those two could easily become five that have this type of hose as there are currently 4 tools using this non-propietary coupler including Hurst, Lukas, Genesis and Weber.

It appears that Holmatro's patent is only on their "coupler" and not the actual single hose design.

CORE Technology™ is a hydraulic system that employs COaxial Rescue Equipment hose, couplers, pumps and tools. At the CORE of this system is our revolutionary fluid path technology. This coaxial hose design consists of a high pressure CORE, surrounded and protected by the low pressure return.

What makes our coaxial hydraulic hose possible is our patented CORE Technology™ coupler. These couplers have a built-in, automatic return valve that eliminates the need for a dump valve on the pump, simply connect the hose and you're ready to go

PRODUCT REVIEW: Genesis “Single Line” Hydraulic Hose, by Santiam Emergency Equipment

Inside diameter of the pressure line in the Genesis “Single Line” hose is 5mm (compared to 4mm on the competing product), which will help the Genesis pump flow more hydraulic fluid. It is the same principal as 1 3/4″ attack line fire hose flowing significantly more water than 1 1/2″. For reference, Genesis’ regular “twin line” hydraulic hose has a diameter of approximately 6 1/2 mm, so is even better…

Maximum operating pressure of Genesis’ outer / return line hose is 510 psi (compared to 363 psi on the competing product), with a 4:1 safety factor. Based upon this data, the Genesis “Single Line” hydraulic hose product “should” be a noticeable improvement over the competing product…especially since Genesis’ hose comes with the more durable and non-proprietary OSC coupler.

http://www.santiam.net/wp/2011/01/pr...ydraulic-hose/

Forum Member

Ron

Is the hand pump incorporated on the tool or is it the seperate hand pump unit? Thanx in advance.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry I cut the pump end of the tool off. Yes, the handle is built in as one unit; not a hose connected to a separate pump.

When I was looking over this tool, a firefighter came by who had just used the tool on the job. Somehow, a concrete highway divider (Jersey Barrier) had been placed in front of the steamer of a hydrant in an industrial park. They used this wedge tool to get a purchase to allow them to move it away. Pretty neat rigging. They jacked it up and created long 'rails' with 4x4 timber and used pipes as rollers. Then, they rigged up their rescue's winch and pulled this 2 ton block of concrete away from the hydrant.

Here's a shot of the pump handle end...

Forum Member

The ResQtec air struts are pretty sweet. Add an Octopus and there is quite a bit of versatility, T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, ResQTec has a new strut system that they are introducing. It works for vehicle stabilization, collapse rescue, trench, and on and on. The strut can actually connect with a power ram into it or the strut can be used manually or the strut can be used with an air supply like we typically do with trench rescue struts.

Lots of thought went into this "Octopus" system. Some nice ideas and some new things that no one else has on their struts. We'll see how the total system is accepted by the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

HURST worked with Ford Motor Company to obtain some new cars. Three were cut up outside where FDIC attendees could put on some gear and actually work with HURST tools to cut up the cars with Leigh Hollins and his team supervising.

Inside the Convention Center, HURST built a plexiglass room and put a 2011 Ford Festiva inside. At certain times Thursday & Friday, they allowed you to watch that car being cut up with HURST tools.

Forum Member

Yes, ResQTec has a new strut system that they are introducing. It works for vehicle stabilization, collapse rescue, trench, and on and on. The strut can actually connect with a power ram into it or the strut can be used manually or the strut can be used with an air supply like we typically do with trench rescue struts.

Lots of thought went into this "Octopus" system. Some nice ideas and some new things that no one else has on their struts. We'll see how the total system is accepted by the fire service.
    I was SUPPOSED to have that system to demo last fall. Didn't happen but my dealer has promised we can test it this summer. I like what I see though. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

At FDIC, there were three companies selling what is referred to as a "glass management product". The three products, ProtectoWrap, Packexe, and GlassKeeper, are all adhesive materials designed to be applied to a window to help contain tempered glass when you break it. I'll show pictures of each but want to mention one now; ProtectoWrap.

What was unique about this one of the three products is that it was the thickest material; 25 mils. It was however the only one of the three that was not see-through clear. What catches my eye about ProtectoWrap was that its' thickness allows it to do a great job as 'sharps protection'. I photographed one of the cars that was used for extrication training during the conference where ProtectoWrap had been applied to the cut A-pillar and the base of the B-pillar.

I like what I see. A distinct bright yellow & red color, a thick 25 mil material, and an adhesive that works in the wet, the cold, and the heat. In fact, once pressed firmly onto the metal of a car, it's quite an effort get it off if you're trying to show its' holding power.

Anyway, here are two examples of how this product designed for glass management during tempered window breaking can assist with making the scene safer as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the other glass management products at FDIC 2011 was a new offering from Hammerhead Industries. This company, out of California, is well known for selling their Gear Keeper product; the retractable device you attach to your turnout coat to hold items on the end of a cord that retracts when you let go.

Their newest addition to their product line is called Glass Keeper. It is sheets of a clear plastic material that are sticky on one side; sort of like contact paper. You peel off the backing and stick it onto the window if you have to break the glass. You know the routine. It holds most of the glass nuggets intact as you remove the glass from the window.

The Glass Keeper adhesive works even in the rain which is one thing that duct tape doesn't do if you're into going the cheap way out like me. Anyway, I do like the fact that Glass Keeper is designed with built-in pull tabs. Each pre-cut sheet is large enough that it covers the window plus sticks onto the cars' body as well. After breaking the glass, you pull the sheet up by using these big red tabs. That's a nice feature; something that Packexe and ProtectoWrap do not have.

All of these new adhesive materials are an expense; more than duct tape so you have to take that into consideration when you think about these items.

Here's a shot taken from their DVD that shows Glass Keeper being applied to a window....

Forum Member

Ron,

I was checking everyone out also, looking at new equipment. Two items caught my eye, the res q tek struts which you mentioned, and the holmatro extendable ram. What are your thoughts on it. They explained it to me as a way speeding set up and saving fluid that is used by larger telescopic rams and reserving it for other tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, at FDIC, Holmatro introduced their newest ram; the Extendo Ram XR 4360. As you mentioned, it is an interesting design. The hydraulic piston is contained in one end of the ram; the end that manually slides back and forth to various lengths manually. In other words, you can position the ram, extend it out manually until it fits into position, and THEN you run the hydraulic controls to run the piston out.

The ram is a 10,500psi unit with a "mechanical" stroke of almost 12" and then an additional "hydraulic" stroke of almost 14". The ram is rated by Holmatro at around 11 tons of force.

It's an interesting concept for sure so lets see how it does once units get available to the sales reps and firefighters get to work with it at tool demonstrations and training classes.

MembersZone Subscriber

A new trend showed up at FDIC 2011 from several of the various strut manufacturers. Paratech & Res-Q Jack both introduced hydraulic units, looking like our vintage Porto-Power pump and rams, that incorporate right into the strut itself. They provide the "snugging up" capability of the strut, at full rated capacity, instead of just having an add-on adjustable unit.

Paratech also has a separate base unit with built-in ratchet strap so you can more efficiently use their larger struts for vehicle rescue work.

Here is the Paratech hydraulic unit

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the new base unit from Paratech so you can use their regular trench or collapse struts more efficiently for vehicle stabilization. This base accepts the larger strut on top of it and the ratchet is already there like with their new green TVS vehicle strut system

MembersZone Subscriber

A new trend showed up at FDIC 2011 from several of the various strut manufacturers. Paratech & Res-Q Jack both introduced hydraulic units, looking like our vintage Porto-Power pump and rams, that incorporate right into the strut itself. They provide the "snugging up" capability of the strut, at full rated capacity, instead of just having an add-on adjustable unit.
    I used the Paratech during the HOT training, and found it to be very useful. You mentioned what I believe is the best feature of it: it operates at full capacity. Later during the show, I spoke with the Manufacturer who stated they have them in 4", 6", and 10" models, but would make them custom size if need be.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

I made this little video at the turtle plastics booth.

new style step chalks. Can't wait to use them.

click on link below to view video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5obPrZd6XM
    Last edited by scooby0066; 04-05-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: video link edit

Forum Member

Once again...the wheel has been re-invented... check out ResQTec and their "Rapid Stair"... been available for a long time.

www.resqtec.com or http://www.resqtec.eu/content/cribblocks.php

Not so new but still a good idea.

Forum Member

Yes, at FDIC, Holmatro introduced their newest ram; the Extendo Ram XR 4360. As you mentioned, it is an interesting design. The hydraulic piston is contained in one end of the ram; the end that manually slides back and forth to various lengths manually. In other words, you can position the ram, extend it out manually until it fits into position, and THEN you run the hydraulic controls to run the piston out.

The ram is a 10,500psi unit with a "mechanical" stroke of almost 12" and then an additional "hydraulic" stroke of almost 14". The ram is rated by Holmatro at around 11 tons of force.

It's an interesting concept for sure so lets see how it does once units get available to the sales reps and firefighters get to work with it at tool demonstrations and training classes.
    Extendo Ram was at NJ FF's convention in September 2010. Was also at Harrisburg show in May 2010.

Maybe this is a bigger size? Was nice and functioned well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scooby0066 View Post
    I made this little video at the turtle plastics booth.

new style step chalks. Can't wait to use them.

click on link below to view video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5obPrZd6XM
    Got the ResQtec version. Work well even on Suv's. So.......Got you beat this time Scoob. Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

I seen res q tec has them.

I just prefer to deal with tom and the crew at turtle plastics.

I have had the opportunity to use his cribbing for a few years, it holds up great.. not a problem. My cribbing doesn't sit on a truck and used in emergencies.. its used weekly all over the north American Continent. Its abused and used in Heavy truck and equipment applications in addition to being cribbing bases for lifts well over 200 tons.. has worked flawlessly.

My intention is not to bad mouth another product here, but Ron asked what I seen, and thats what interested me... For all the turtle plastic faithful out there, they can now get that from them.. thats all.

I have nothing to say good or bad about res q tec. I can say though, that a dealer who was next to me at a trade show let me freely borrow the use of his generator to power my air compressor for air bag demos at my booth... as the power lead that I paid for (30 amp service) was not what it was supposed to be. To me, that shows a touch of class. I, in a way, was competition, he didn't have to do that

I guess I will also add, as I'm not one to hide anything.. and I see no reason to not just bring it out, Turtle plastics does sponsor my program. I used their product many years before they came onboard. I'm not one to take sponsors on just because. For the most part, our sponsors I consider to be a life long affiliation. I turn down many sponsor requests a year because I don't believe in the product or its just not a good fit in general for one reason or another. My gig with Matjack started in the late 80's, thats a long time to be affiliated with a product. I have always felt that above everything else, my integrity is whats most important.
    Last edited by scooby0066; 04-06-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added content

Thread Information