MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scene Size up - Fire / accidents

I'm doing a presentation on firefighter scene size up for both Fire ground and Accident grounds. I'm looking for any pictures/video that can be used in my presentation as examples. Both good and bad. Really looking to drive the point home. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks. either post links/pictures on here or email me please spud-x@mailcity.com

Forum Member

Dont have any pictures, but I have a great personal story that reiterates the fact that you can never trust the police department's information.

Ok, well maybe "never trust" is a bad choice of words- How about "take the police dept's info with a grain of salt?"

Weget dispatched one night for an auto fire. I am the company officer. We go responding, the fire dispatcher acknowledges us and says "Pee Dee on location, automobile well involved."

We get there and yes, an automobile well involved. Slight little problem though- it was still inside the garage attached to the dwelling.

Later on, during the critique (the Pee Dee had pulled the tapes and ran them) the Officer on scene stated "yeah there's a car in there well involved."

Pee Dee board relayed to the fire board "auto well involved" assuming we knew about the garage part. Nope. Turns out (also on the tape) the caller had a very heavy foreign accent and the words "car on fire" were the only ones understood.

Moral of the story: size up begins with radio transmissions, but always be prepared for less or more when you get there!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got the PPT and some other stuff we used for just such a class here. I'll make sure I know where it is and send it down.

It's all structural stuff, though.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

have you seen this:::

may check around to see if a dept has a copy

http://www.pennwellbooks.com/artofresm.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Dont have any pictures, but I have a great personal story that reiterates the fact that you can never trust the police department's information.

Ok, well maybe "never trust" is a bad choice of words- How about "take the police dept's info with a grain of salt?"

Weget dispatched one night for an auto fire. I am the company officer. We go responding, the fire dispatcher acknowledges us and says "Pee Dee on location, automobile well involved."

We get there and yes, an automobile well involved. Slight little problem though- it was still inside the garage attached to the dwelling.

Later on, during the critique (the Pee Dee had pulled the tapes and ran them) the Officer on scene stated "yeah there's a car in there well involved."

Pee Dee board relayed to the fire board "auto well involved" assuming we knew about the garage part. Nope. Turns out (also on the tape) the caller had a very heavy foreign accent and the words "car on fire" were the only ones understood.

Moral of the story: size up begins with radio transmissions, but always be prepared for less or more when you get there!
    Wow!! That's a crazy story. How did everything turn out? just curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    Wow!! That's a crazy story. How did everything turn out? just curious.
    Arrived on location, leaned on the hook and filled out the box assignment. Deuce and a half into the front door, through the kitchen, into the garage (Fire door had just begun to decompose under the heavy fire conditions) & pushed it back onto itself. Second due engine and first in truck to the second floor, open walls & celings- some fire extension inside the walls to the second floor level, would have gotten into the attic had we not stopped it in it's tracks. Garage was a total loss, with smoke & water damage to some of the first floor, plus all the drywall pulled. One of my prouder moments...lol
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Good job on that sir !

Thread Information