Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

If we go FR/Nomex or 100% Cotton how does everyone feel about all OPS Firefighters, including Captains wearing the same color (navy) outer shirts? Deputy (Batt) Chiefs and Admin would still wear white. Embroidery on the shirts would specify rank.

The guys in the department that want polos think FF's should wear navy and Lt's and Captains should wear red. This might seem petty to some, however it is what our department is facing so I'm thankful for any and all input!

Forum Member

Workrite Nomex pants are very comfortable when broken in.

The shirts are so-so. I never wear them. We have a lax uniform policy.

Once fire tones go of, it's a wash. I strip down to shorts or boxers under my gear.

Heck, it's a wash for 18 hours of my shifts, typically. Between extended PT and drill time, I'm hardly in full uniform.

Default Wear Test

Thanks for everyones input! It looks like we will be wear testing three different uniforms; Blauer 100% Cotton, Workrite Nomex, and 5.11 Polo and Ems Pants. Hope it goes well, looks like it will be majority rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Thanks for everyones input! It looks like we will be wear testing three different uniforms; Blauer 100% Cotton, Workrite Nomex, and 5.11 Polo and Ems Pants. Hope it goes well, looks like it will be majority rules.
    You won't get a true reading on the workrites until they're broke in. How long is the test period?
    IAFF

Its only a month and a half but its due to "downtown" issues that are beyond our control.

They take at least six months. Just a heads up.
    IAFF

Six months would be great! So would "2 in 2 out" but downtown doesn't care about that either!However I will include in my report that it should have been 6 months

Forum Member

OK, I may not be the quickest draw in the world, BUT, theoretically at least, could not the choice of station wear uniforms directly effect the Heat retention issues being faced by Firefighters?.....I mean they are being addressed at the Outer layer PPE level....but should not the accumilative factor of non breathing Polyester uniforms be weighed in as well?....

One of the key factors that have been being presented over and over is the need for Firefighter Rehab on scene and the ability to cool ones core temperatures, soooooo, that said wouldn;t it be in a Department's benifit to support Firefighter health and safety, not only by protection from direct impingement of flame and heat, but also to allow for rapid wicking of moisture and a relatively cool and efficient uniform?....

Just perhaps another area to delve into........

Polyester is HOT, and it melts.......

Nomex can be HOT and doesn;t always "breath"....

Cottons can be effectively Fire retartardent treated as well would provide for more efficient escape of built up heat and wicking of excess moisture.....especially in the more humid and hot areas of the Country

Cheers and I hope that things work out..........

Forum Member

NFPA cotton is terrible. Same research in my dept. I have 2 cotton blauer, lasted 6 mos before fade, shrinkage, blew out the crotch ( not b/c I'm gifted either ). The worst part is they require iron/pressing even right out of the dryer to not look like wrinkled mess. Once put turnouts on the wrinkle up crazy and stay that way.

Couple guys demo Blauer nomex w/o complaint. wash and wear, no heat build-up, no fading. Down side is price- ouch!

Looked at Elbeco, but regional rep said they are probably going to stop the nomex offering in a short while.

Our choices are now are Blauer and workrite. Going to try to demo workrite- little cheaper but triple stitched (blauer is not).

Burn/heat issue- the reason to look at these is not to offer more fire protection, but rather to minimize the damage in a bad situation. Cotton/poly melts to skin, nomex doesn't, cotton just burns away quickly. You are still in big trouble if the heat/flame breeches your TOG, it just maybe less damage.

I still say if you think price is a problem why considering Nomex, you need to change the way you are looking at the situation. You can spend $100 on a pair of pants that will last upwards of 4 years, or spend $40-50 on a pair that need replacing annually if not sooner.

So which is really cheaper?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Cool

This is really what we needed, brothers going through the same thing and giving objective views on this subject. Since we are going to be limited on the wear test this info is crutial for us! Thanks to all! Keep the info coming, you might end up in my report!

Has anyone tried out the 5.11 FR-x3 FR station shirt and pants? Or the 5.11 100% cotton?

Thread Information