Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    That looks like a very good system. Has it been used and how well did it work?
    I agree completly. Looks like a good system for sure.

Forum Member

That looks like a very good system. Has it been used and how well did it work?
    Luckily we have never had a mayday since implementing the new procedures but we have drilled on it several times. So far, it has worked well. EMS contacting our dispatch was added after a couple of drills as it took some of the load off the IC in terms of radio contacts.

We have used the evacuation procedure on a couple of occasions, and it has worked out well.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Luckily we have never had a mayday since implementing the new procedures but we have drilled on it several times. So far, it has worked well. EMS contacting our dispatch was added after a couple of drills as it took some of the load off the IC in terms of radio contacts.

We have used the evacuation procedure on a couple of occasions, and it has worked out well.
    Well, I guess it is a good thing you haven't used it. I'm going to look into what our department utilizes, so I'm sure.
    It bothers me that communication is somewhat of an issue at times where I'm at. Nothing major, just in general. Some of the people working dispatch get it right every time and are just plain good at what they do. Some have their issues. I don't mean to judge, it's an extremely difficult job and very high stress. I am no better. just wish we had a harness on a few things.
    Radios and pagers is my gripe. Plus the system is par at best. I have to have my pager aimed a certain direction to work. In my opinion, everyone that puts on an airpack should be trained and ready to use a radio. But, I degress.

Forum Member

Well, I guess it is a good thing you haven't used it. I'm going to look into what our department utilizes, so I'm sure.
    It bothers me that communication is somewhat of an issue at times where I'm at. Nothing major, just in general. Some of the people working dispatch get it right every time and are just plain good at what they do. Some have their issues. I don't mean to judge, it's an extremely difficult job and very high stress. I am no better. just wish we had a harness on a few things.
    Radios and pagers is my gripe. Plus the system is par at best. I have to have my pager aimed a certain direction to work. In my opinion, everyone that puts on an airpack should be trained and ready to use a radio. But, I degress.
    Same here.

Actually it was the same everyplace I have been. The only exception was one department where the county had dedicated fire dispatchers, not PD who also dispatched fire. Since fire was all they handled, they knew what to do and how to do it in just about every situation.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information