Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Becoming a volunteer rescuer?

I really want to become a volunteer firefighter/rescuer/medic/helper/whatever to help people in emergencies. I want to do crazy things like goto Japan to save people or Libya to fight for injustice.

I called my local authorities and they said it was a looong commitment. So long that I'd have to be in my area for 2 years. Problem is, I am leaving for grad school next August.

Is there anything I can do between now and August that would help me fulfill my goal on a short term basis?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonoz View Post
    I really want to become a volunteer firefighter/rescuer/medic/helper/whatever to help people in emergencies. I want to do crazy things like goto Japan to save people or Libya to fight for injustice.

I called my local authorities and they said it was a looong commitment. So long that I'd have to be in my area for 2 years. Problem is, I am leaving for grad school next August.

Is there anything I can do between now and August that would help me fulfill my goal on a short term basis?

Thanks

Why not join the US Military, get some real training and serve this nation.

When you come back, then seek out a fire department which are hiring and compete with others to get a job.

Just because you are a member of a fire department doesn't regulate you to travel the world, such as to Japan or Libya to as you say to save people.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Among the heroic things firefighters and EMTs do are pump basements and help people who have "fallen and can't get up." In other words, we don't usually spend our days doing heroic things (a few here may disagree, but I digress). It's a lot more boring than that - hours of boredom intermixed with moments of sheer terror, as some folks say.

Since it sounds like you've got your immediate future planned, and those plans would preclude military service in the near term, perhaps you should consider a visit to your local Red Cross. They handle disaster relief on a local basis, too. It's not as heroic as rushing into burning buildings, but helping a family who has just been burned out of their home has its "feel good" factor, too.

If you stick with them long enough, you may get to travel to the far corners of the world on relief missions for natural disaster.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Before you go traveling the world first start with the naked 400 lb. man or woman who syncope's on the toilet at 4 am on the second or third floor. Toilet paper attached. To get on a FEMA team would take you 5-10 years of training and experience. Go to grad school its easier.

Smells like a troll to me... but just in case your not:

Choose one... your paths aren't compatible right now.
    If you want to do grad school than do that... if you still want to do fire/ems/etc once you are through with Grad school find someplace to volunteer or work.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

Forum Member

Sounds to me like some good old fashioned military experience can help you out. You want to travel the world? Help impoverished people? See exotic places? Learn the different languages of the middle east? Just join the Airborne, you will be downrange in 6 months. Oh, and you get to shoot bad guys and get paid to do it. Just one of the perks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigNozzlePumper View Post
    Sounds to me like some good old fashioned military experience can help you out. You want to travel the world? Help impoverished people? See exotic places? Learn the different languages of the middle east? Just join the Airborne, you will be downrange in 6 months. Oh, and you get to shoot bad guys and get paid to do it. Just one of the perks!!
    OR get shot by bad guys.

I'm not saying the military is a bad choice but if you're going to consider something like that make sure you look at both sides of the coin. Joining the military is a huge commitment and sacrifice. If you know anyone who has is current or ex military take them to a recruiter with you. It helps to have someone along who speaks the military language when you go in to speak to a recruiter.

Thread Information