Thread: Aerial Recall

Forum Member

Default Aerial Recall

Ladder Trucks Recalled After Collapse at Fire
    Pierce is recalling about two dozen ladder trucks after a part collapsed during a fire in Methuen, Mass.
    BY J.J. HUGGINS - The Eagle-Tribune, North Andover, Mass.

Posted: Tue, 03/22/2011 - 01:08pm
    Updated: Wed, 03/23/2011 - 12:35pm

METHUEN, Mass. -- A fire truck manufacturer has recommended that about two dozen ladder trucks in the United States and Canada be temporarily taken out of service because a part collapsed while Methuen firefighters fought a Christmas Day blaze.

One of the four outriggers used to stabilize Methuen's 1996 Nova Quintech ladder truck collapsed during the fire at Shadi's Restaurant & Lounge on Osgood Street while two firefighters were in the bucket attached to the ladder, dropping them onto the roof of the burning restaurant. They escaped uninjured.

The city took the truck out of service that day.

Pierce Manufacturing owns the rights to the ladder truck. The broken part was brought from Methuen to Wisconsin, where Pierce is based, said Fire Chief Steven Buote.

The company issued a "product safety bulletin" about the defective parts -- the Nova Quintech Sky-Arm and Sky-Pod stabilizer beam assemblies.

"It has come to our attention the original Nova Quintech stabilizer beam design may be susceptible to failure," the bulletin says. "If the failure occurs, the stabilizer beam may collapse, causing death or serious injury."

The bulletin references the Methuen accident.

"Fortunately, no injuries occurred. However, subsequent Pierce engineering analysis concluded that a structural weakness was inherent in the Nova Quintech stabilizer beam design," the document says.

Pierce will manufacture new stabilizer beam assemblies, and they will be available and installed after May 2 "at no cost to the owner," the bulletin says.

"We're probably looking at in excess of a $100,000 job here," Buote said. Methuen paid about $680,000 for the truck with federal and state money in 1996.

"To replace that with a similar piece today would be roughly about $1.2 million," Buote said.

Buote said there are about two dozen of these trucks in service in the United States and Canada. He has spoken to other chiefs who have the truck, and nobody reported problems, Buote said.

Methuen lacked a ladder truck for a while and had to call for mutual aid from neighboring communities for a ladder three times, but the extra help ended up being unnecessary in all instances, Buote said.

Methuen is now borrowing a spare tower ladder truck from Andover, which Methuen firefighters trained to use.

The Manchester, N.H. Fire Department has the sister truck to Methuen's ladder, and they temporarily took theirs out of service as well.

"We decided that because Pierce believes there is an issue with design, we could no longer run it for liability issues," said Keith Foster, the equipment superintendent for the Manchester Fire Department.

This means Manchester has four ladder trucks in service instead of its usual five, according to Foster.

To see more of The Eagle-Tribune or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.eagletribune.com/.

Copyright (c) 2011, The Eagle-Tribune, North Andover, Mass. Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For more information about the content services offered by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services (MCT), visit www.mctinfoservices.com, e-mail services@mctinfoservices.com, or call 866-280-5210 (outside the United States, call +1 312-222-4544)

Forum Member

Tell the whole story.....This went out about a week ago....Seems someone in Appleton had to do some backpeddaling in the light of this story in the media......

City Of Methuen Forced To Pay For Defective Fire Truck Repair
    The city of Methuen has to pick up the tab for defective parts on its fire trucks.

METHUEN (CBS) – The city of Methuen will have to foot the bill to repair the ladder truck that malfunctioned at a Christmas Day fire last year.

On Christmas Day in 2010, firefighters rushed to a fire at Shadi’s Restaurant in Methuen. While the building was totaled, no one was hurt, but it was a close call because of faulty equipment.

Beams that help the truck remain stable failed, sending the truck crashing to the pavement. The firefighters in the bucket were dropped six feet as a result.

“They were able to remove the ladder away from the building and safely bring them back to the ground,” said Chief Steven Buote of the Methuen Fire Department.

Pictures of the Sky-Arm, which is used to balance the truck when its bucket is extended, show the malfunction. Steel in its rear left arm was crushed under the weight.

The truck has been sitting in a DPW yard since the day after that fire and the Wisconsin manufacturing company came in and took out the defective part. They were then able to determine that all trucks should be taken out of service. Despite that, they are now they’re not going to pay for the repairs.

“If it’s their poor design, why am I responsible to have it fixed?” said Chief Buote.

Figuring out who is responsible isn’t easy. The truck was built by a compnay that was bought out in the the late 90′s.

That company, Oshkosh, says it only owns the technology for the Sky-Arm and while it suggested the trucks be put out of service, it didn’t build the defective arm and isn’t going to fix them.

Methuen’s mayor and fire chief don’t see it that way.

“We think they have an obligation to do that since it was a defective part,” said Mayor William Manzi III of Methuen.

“They bought all the holdings of Nova Quintech, so with that should go the responsibility and liability of anything that was built under the name Nova Quintech,” said Chief Buote.

Oshkosh has offered to fix Methuen’s truck at a discount, but that’s still upwards of $60,000.

There are nearly two dozen of these trucks in the U.S. and Canada, including one in Manchester, New Hampshire.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

So whos right? Two writers have very different storys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    So whos right? Two writers have very different storys.
    Both are right.

At the time when sven73 posted his, his was correct. Then later, the picture changed, as what FWD posted. If you need the time line, let me know.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Both are right.

At the time when sven73 posted his, his was correct. Then later, the picture changed, as what FWD posted. If you need the time line, let me know.

FM1
    Hey Sunshine over HERE,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Hey Sunshine over HERE,hehe T.C.
    Don't quite your day job!!

Woody has been a HUGE source of info, know what I mean??? hehe

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Don't quite your day job!!

Woody has been a HUGE source of info, know what I mean??? hehe

FM1
    He's a lil busy right now scratching out a living. Talked to him Friday,he's finishing up a couple quotes and waiting for the welfare checks to come in so he can sell a couple trucks.Supposed to be paying me a visit once the weather melts enough snow so he can get out of his cave,Hehe T.C,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    He's a lil busy right now scratching out a living. Talked to him Friday,he's finishing up a couple quotes and waiting for the welfare checks to come in so he can sell a couple trucks.Supposed to be paying me a visit once the weather melts enough snow so he can get out of his cave,Hehe T.C,
    Do me a favor, take him out for dinner, or grill something he likes. I'll buy.

FM1

Thread Information