Thread: criminal record

Forum Member

Default criminal record

I am wanting to become a paramedic,but do have concerns of getting hired,I have a assult w/intent on my record,it was from 1995 16 years ago I was 19 years old,since that time I have have been able to get a home improvement license and passed their backgroud check and was able to be bonded,I am a family guy with 2 kids don't drink or use drugs.I am looking at starting school this summer for paramedic training it is very expensive and a long process,I am paying for schooling out of my own pocket,I have a very strong commitment to this will I beable to get hired on a department or will I be wasting my time any help would be appreciated thanks.

Forum Member

It is very possible that the state or states which you try to be certified in will not certify you because of the record.

I would check the EMS laws in the state which you want to be certified and work in, before I took that long class.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

What charge misdemeanor. Felony other

And what level class a b c 1st degree. 2 nd other

What state are you in

Forum Member

I am pretty sure it is a felony,I live in west virginia,will be going to school in wv but I am willing to work in d.c. maryland,wv or virginia.

Forum Member

I would say find out for sure the level of charge you were convicted with

Felony may be a deal breaker

Not sure if you want to be paramedic only and work for a private ambulance

Forum Member

Most departments cut off at age 35. So by the time you finish medic school you will be over the age limit for most if not all departments.

Forum Member

Between the age and the assault, a FD is probably out of the question. The age isn't as much a career killer as the assault.

But, if you are able to be certified as a medic, which is a big if, you could probably land a job on a private ambulance doing transfers and stuff.

There's nothing wrong with that either. It's a great line of work (just not necessarily as exciting)

Pete

Forum Member

A assault charge will not work out too well for you in my region of the country. With all of the applicants we have to choose from, it's likely that we will move on to the next one.....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Well I do appreciate all the reponses,It is really sad that after 16 years sociaty says someone still hasnt reformed themselves.I also live in a nieghborhood were we have 1 volunteer ff,2 paid ff and 1 state police officer.The volunteer is about 80 lbs overweight,1 paid ff is a drunk,the other paid ff seems like a great guy and the state police officer cheats on his wife.myself i am in great shape and a family guy that dosent drink or use drugs,so I guess if we are so eager to pass over people like me we just have to live with what is left over!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dennish1234 View Post
    Well I do appreciate all the reponses,It is really sad that after 16 years sociaty says someone still hasnt reformed themselves.I also live in a nieghborhood were we have 1 volunteer ff,2 paid ff and 1 state police officer.The volunteer is about 80 lbs overweight,1 paid ff is a drunk,the other paid ff seems like a great guy and the state police officer cheats on his wife.myself i am in great shape and a family guy that dosent drink or use drugs,so I guess if we are so eager to pass over people like me we just have to live with what is left over!!
    Is there any kind of pardon system in your state? Up here in the frigid wastelands of canuckistan, you can apply for a pardon after a certain period of time, assuming that all fines/penalties have been paid and you've stayed out of trouble in the interim. This seals the conviction against criminal record searches - however, if you are convicted of another crime, this will often revoke the pardon and put the original crime back on your record.

Forum Member

yes, I filed for the pardon about 3 months ago but hear it is a long process was looking to enroll in school for the start of the summer program which the deadline is in the middle of may.

Forum Member

If you have a felony on your record, most states of not WILL NOT certify you in any EMS position.

Not too many fire departments will hire you either.

Your best bet is improve your contracting business.

See Virginia's rules on Felonies.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OLC/Laws...imes_guide.pdf

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I am pretty sure it is a felony

You do not know your criminal record???

Forum Member

I am pretty sure it is a felony,
    Wow, I'm not typically one to throw stones, but you should know if you have a Felony conviction. Its kind of a big deal.

I'll admit there are some guys on the job that aren't prefect. However, you are competing with a lot, and I do mean A LOT of people who have perfectly clean records. It might not be fair, but that is life. Some times the decision you make earlier in life will haunt you forever. I think you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by kyhunter42; 03-29-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Forum Member

Well I dont really no if it is a felony it happened when I was 18 years old,I got into a fight it just happen to be in a public place and the overzeless police officer charged me with anything he could I should have fought it but are system is not designed that way there is no guilty or inocense you take a good plea and move on it has never affected me up until now.And I do agree I think I am probalally wasting my time,and I do commend everyone who has never gotten into any troulble,but I will corect you on this I no alot and we see it everyday fire fighters,police officers and others in public services lying,cheating,stealing,abusing drugs and acohol and commiting other criminal acts I just wonder all the times that they are sweep under the rug by a higher up officer that is supossed to have morals,and all those that I would be competing with most of them did worse stuff then me they just didnt get caught,and your right it's life it is bull**** but whatever,

Forum Member

All you have to do is go back to the city/ county you were convicted in and ask for a copy of your convection record

Sometimes you can do it over the phone, fax or email

I am surprised you have not been asked or told that you have a conviction in 16 years

If it was me I would find out today

Forum Member

Well I dont really no if it is a felony it happened when I was 18 years old,I got into a fight it just happen to be in a public place and the overzeless police officer charged me with anything he could I should have fought it but are system is not designed that way there is no guilty or inocense you take a good plea and move on it has never affected me up until now.And I do agree I think I am probalally wasting my time,and I do commend everyone who has never gotten into any troulble,but I will corect you on this I no alot and we see it everyday fire fighters,police officers and others in public services lying,cheating,stealing,abusing drugs and acohol and commiting other criminal acts I just wonder all the times that they are sweep under the rug by a higher up officer that is supossed to have morals,and all those that I would be competing with most of them did worse stuff then me they just didnt get caught,and your right it's life it is bull**** but whatever,
    Your first post showed someone that was in his 30's and doing well to distance himself from a prior mistake.
    This post reads like someone that is drunk, or a teenager texting, or unable to spell.

Either way, maybe working for a private ambulance company will be the closest you can get to firefighting.
    And that is a huge maybe.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by hardtimesff View Post
    Most departments cut off at age 35. So by the time you finish medic school you will be over the age limit for most if not all departments.
    Not true for many departments....very few Virginia departments have age cut offs for hiring. We hired a guy that was 53.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Did this fight you got in happen to be with that police officer?

Let's talk fire trucks!

.And I do agree I think I am probalally wasting my time,and I do commend everyone who has never gotten into any troulble,but I will corect you on this I no alot and we see it everyday fire fighters,police officers and others in public services lying, cheating, stealing, abusing drugs and acohol and commiting other criminal acts I just wonder all the times that they are sweep under the rug by a higher up officer that is supossed to have morals,and all those that I would be competing with most of them did worse stuff then me they just didnt get caught,and your right it's life it is bull**** but whatever,
    Quit being bitter with us because you have a criminal record. And EVERY profession has some bad apples, but to put a blanket statement out there all of us cheating, stealing, boozing, etc is pretty out of line.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I will corect you on this I no alot and we see it everyday fire fighters,police officers and others in public services lying,cheating,stealing,abusing drugs and acohol and commiting other criminal acts I just wonder all the times that they are sweep under the rug by a higher up officer that is supossed to have morals,and all those that I would be competing with most of them did worse stuff then me they just didnt get caught,and your right it's life it is bull**** but whatever,
    Box hit it right on the head, quit being BITTER. Thatís a broad statement "we see it every day"; sure there are a few police and firefighters that do everything that you listed. However you can say the same for every profession. Weekly we here about teachers that have inappropriate relationships with students. Bankers and accountants that embezzle money. How about contractors that bill for work they didnít do? There are bad apples in all professions. Ours is no different. However we do try to prevent those bad apples from entering into our profession. In most places your criminal record is considered. Even if it was a long time ago. There are too many people who did keep their nose clean.
    You screwed up when you were younger. If it was a felony look elsewhere, if it was a misdemeanor you can probably still get hired. However, I would suggest that you lose the attitude and quit crying about how unfair it is.

Forum Member

The last two posters said it all.
    I was not a choir boy by any means, but I did manage to stay out of legal trouble. That doesn't mean I didn't do my fair share of stupid stuff.
    The difference is, I grew up, learned from my mistakes and was honest about it all. I remained humble and thankful that the fire department yet was willing to talk to me and I'm in line for the academy now.
    You can choose to let your past dictate your future, or you can rise above and move on stopping the "I'm a victim" stuff.
    Regardless of whether or not your past will disqualify you or will be overlooked, your bigger problem appears to be your attitude.

Forum Member

I do not see were I have had a bad attitude regarding my statement,I also am not crying about my situation,I havn't really seen it as a bad thing until now all I am saying is it is unfair to penalize someone for the rest of their life for something that happened a long time ago,and you are right every profession has bad apples,I am interested in a profession were I am helping people how many so called criminals are looking to do that,all I am saying regarding this indutry is I am no different than any of you and should be aforded the same oppertunites as any of you are,so if we want to be fair then lets keep penalizing people forever for mistakes they made in their past, but be fair and when a public service professonal gets a dui,or breaks any criminal law they are fired without pay and given no special treatment when I see that happen then you can talk about fairness but I won't hold my breath on it!!

Forum Member

Original poster - I know you think your situation is unique, and you're desiring a unique answer to keep your dream alive...

But please, lord almighty...use the search function. This (and related) topic has been discussed countless times on these boards...

Forum Member

when a public service professonal gets a dui,or breaks any criminal law they are fired without pay and given no special treatment
    I don't know about the rest of the country, but I guarantee if a Firefighter here(in Southern California) were to get a DUI, they would be fired. Not only because they weren't responsible, but also because they would lose their Class B license which is a job requirement.

Thread Information