1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default Army Active Duty question..

    I am currently a Active Duty 74D in the Army. I served in the Marines as 7051 from 99-03. When I came back in the military the recruiter told me that ARFF is not for active duty but i have made inquiries and found out that it is possible for active duty but it has limited positions. I already have my certs from school when i went in 00. How hard will it be for me to move back over? I signed a 3 yr contract and from what I understand you need 2 yrs left to re enlist or extend or in my case "reclass". So I am thinking I can talk to retention this September cause I signed back up in September of 2010. I am hoping that already having the needed certs will be a plus for me. I also have 2 active duty friends I worked with at the school house now and one civilian that is an instructor that I served with in the Marines too. I am trying to contact anyone and everyone to help me get back in ARFF.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    548

    Default

    There are indeed still a few spots, although they are fading fast.

    The few army guys we have left here are all getting out because they don't get to be fire fighters. The army doesn't take care of thier guys very well. I've got two e-6's that are just starting to work on their 1's. No good in the DOD world.

    My advice, go AF.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    12m is closed. Kinda upsets me since I have the certs and wanna get back in that mos. There has to be some loophole.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    UPDATE: Appears no one reads this; maybe i just wanna think out loud.

    I am active army; mos 74D CBRN. I turned in my fire certs from goodfellow along with my DD214 from the Corps to retention and he is gonna call proponency and see if i can get 12M as my either Primary or Secondary MOS. I hope this goes my way!!
    Say a little prayer for me.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    sfd1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    My advice, go AF.

    What he said.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bocaccio13 View Post
    12m is closed. Kinda upsets me since I have the certs and wanna get back in that mos. There has to be some loophole.
    The reason it is closed is because they are doing away with the MOS. I don't think there is one active duty 12M in the CONUS (all Army facilities as far as I know are Civilian DOD) and outside the CONUS they are using either foreign nationals and/or contractors for fire protection.

    The last 12M I spoke to said he hadn't seen a firetruck in a month, but was very well familiar with the armored vehicles he was riding in providing escort duty.

    And I gotta ask- why on God's green earth would you go from the USMC to the Army?
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The reason it is closed is because they are doing away with the MOS. I don't think there is one active duty 12M in the CONUS (all Army facilities as far as I know are Civilian DOD) and outside the CONUS they are using either foreign nationals and/or contractors for fire protection.

    The last 12M I spoke to said he hadn't seen a firetruck in a month, but was very well familiar with the armored vehicles he was riding in providing escort duty.

    And I gotta ask- why on God's green earth would you go from the USMC to the Army?
    I think they have some DoD civilians overseas for Army bases too. I saw a GS-7 announced on USAJOBS a couple of weeks ago for a base in Italy.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The reason it is closed is because they are doing away with the MOS. I don't think there is one active duty 12M in the CONUS (all Army facilities as far as I know are Civilian DOD) and outside the CONUS they are using either foreign nationals and/or contractors for fire protection.

    The last 12M I spoke to said he hadn't seen a firetruck in a month, but was very well familiar with the armored vehicles he was riding in providing escort duty.

    And I gotta ask- why on God's green earth would you go from the USMC to the Army?
    We have about 12 active duty guys here that are assigned to the FD. There are still around 700 or so FF's in the Army, to hear them tell it. They get to wear civvie uniforms when they report to work, so that's pretty cool for them, and we are CONUS.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And I gotta ask- why on God's green earth would you go from the USMC to the Army?
    Beat me to it. Give him a break, everyone makes mistakes now and again. Besides, about the only thing that keeps the Army and Air Force somewhat military is the presence of all those prior service Marines.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 04-21-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fix oops

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Beat me to it. Give him a break, everyone makes mistakes now and again. Besides, about the only thing that keeps the Army and Air Force somewhat military is the presence of all those prior service Marines.
    Having worked as a FF on a major Army installation for 6 years, I question if it's the United States Army or the Mexican Army, US Detachment.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    After seeing this, I hope you're exaggerating:

    Mexican Special Forces

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsUUTm96NJw

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    After seeing this, I hope you're exaggerating:

    Mexican Special Forces

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsUUTm96NJw
    One time I was doing a BI in a barracks, a SSGT was yelling at a couple of PFC's for something or another. Normally I would not have been concerned or took notice, except for one problem, he was doing it in spanish. Kinda had a problem with that, especially given he was wearing the Stars and Stripes.

    Another time, our Fire Marshal got involved in the Court Marshal of a higher-end Sgt (cant remember exactly, maybe an SFC) who was using PW's to "encourage" his guys out of their racks in the morning, much to the Fire Department's disliking. They brought him up on court martial after the third time he got caught......Part of his defense was that he "did not understand the Fire Marshal, who should have explained it in Spanish."

    yeah that kinda irritated me too.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The reason it is closed is because they are doing away with the MOS. I don't think there is one active duty 12M in the CONUS (all Army facilities as far as I know are Civilian DOD) and outside the CONUS they are using either foreign nationals and/or contractors for fire protection.

    The last 12M I spoke to said he hadn't seen a firetruck in a month, but was very well familiar with the armored vehicles he was riding in providing escort duty.

    And I gotta ask- why on God's green earth would you go from the USMC to the Army?
    The Marines wasn't taking any prior service when i came back in. Probably something to do with the economy and a lotta ppl coming into the military at that time.

    Anyways I just pray at night that I get it. I have been talking with a instructor at the schoolhouse (prior marine now army e7). And With his assistance i talked to my batttallion retention and sent off my certs from school and discharge papers form the marines and he said either one of two things will happen if they say they'll accept me.

    I'll get in with no training since i've already been to the school OR i'll get in and have to goto mos school all over again.

    The guy I talk to at the school said I should hope I get Fort Rucker cause that's the only real place I'll get to do my job at.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bocaccio13 View Post
    The guy I talk to at the school said I should hope I get Fort Rucker cause that's the only real place I'll get to do my job at.
    You should have went USAF. Good Luck.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Why would someone want to be a Military Firefighter in any other branch other then the USAF?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg89 View Post
    Why would someone want to be a Military Firefighter in any other branch other then the USAF?
    Maybe they actually want to see what it's like to have to work for a living, rather than bitch that the air conditioning in the day room is broken and that the la-z-boy has a broken spring.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Maybe they actually want to see what it's like to have to work for a living, rather than bitch that the air conditioning in the day room is broken and that the la-z-boy has a broken spring.
    You are overstepping the lines!

    Broken springs on la-z-boys are both dangerous and uncomfortable.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    ****: Through the Eyes of the Military

    An Army grunt stands in the rain with a 35-pound pack on his back, 15-lb. weapon in his hand, having marched 12 miles, and says, "This is ****."

    An Army Airborne Ranger stands in the rain with a 45-pound pack on his back, weapon in hand, after having jumped from a plane and jogged 18 miles, says with a smile, "This is good ****."

    A Marine lies in the mud, 55-pound pack on his back, weapon in hand, after swimming 10 miles to shore, crawling through a swamp, and running 25 miles at night past enemy positions, says with a grin, "This is really great ****."

    A Navy Seal, up to his nose in the stinking, bug-infested mud of a swamp with a 65-pound pack on his back and weapons in both hands after jumping from an aircraft at high altitude into the ocean, swimming 12 miles to shore, killing several alligators to enter the swamp, then crawling 30 miles through the brush to assault an enemy camp, says, "I love this ****."

    An Air Force NCO sits in an easy chair in an air-conditioned, carpeted office in front of his computer and says, "My e-mail is out? What kind of **** is this?"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Hay hay

    If the computer don't work cannot fly the drone 10000 miles away!!!!!

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ****: Through the Eyes of the Military

    An Army grunt stands in the rain with a 35-pound pack on his back, 15-lb. weapon in his hand, having marched 12 miles, and says, "This is ****."

    An Army Airborne Ranger stands in the rain with a 45-pound pack on his back, weapon in hand, after having jumped from a plane and jogged 18 miles, says with a smile, "This is good ****."

    A Marine lies in the mud, 55-pound pack on his back, weapon in hand, after swimming 10 miles to shore, crawling through a swamp, and running 25 miles at night past enemy positions, says with a grin, "This is really great ****."

    A Navy Seal, up to his nose in the stinking, bug-infested mud of a swamp with a 65-pound pack on his back and weapons in both hands after jumping from an aircraft at high altitude into the ocean, swimming 12 miles to shore, killing several alligators to enter the swamp, then crawling 30 miles through the brush to assault an enemy camp, says, "I love this ****."

    An Air Force NCO sits in an easy chair in an air-conditioned, carpeted office in front of his computer and says, "My e-mail is out? What kind of **** is this?"
    Email is important to keep up tabs when the servers are going to be down for maintenance or when the luncheon time will be.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Basically what FWD is trying to say is join the Air Force or Marines because there are more white people there.
    I've got some puerto rican blood, I speak spanish, and **** you for trying to say that that makes me less of an American. I love how you get offended by a private conversation in Spanish, like its any of your business or theres something wrong with speaking spanish. I'm willing to put my life on the line for this country, and calling it "the Mexican Army" because you dont think its white enough is a slap in the face to every latino person who serves.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
    Basically what FWD is trying to say is join the Air Force or Marines because there are more white people there.
    I've got some puerto rican blood, I speak spanish, and **** you for trying to say that that makes me less of an American. I love how you get offended by a private conversation in Spanish, like its any of your business or theres something wrong with speaking spanish. I'm willing to put my life on the line for this country, and calling it "the Mexican Army" because you dont think its white enough is a slap in the face to every latino person who serves.
    Awful thin skinned for a service member If you knew anything about the Marine Corps, you might know we have a large Hispanic population. Which is fine, as anyone who studies the subject knows they are disproportionately highly represented in the ranks of those who have been awarded our highest combat honors-Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, etc.

    However, we are talking here about the United States Armed Forces. If you want to walk around speaking Spanish all day to fellow service members, I suggest you join the military of a country where Spanish is the primary language. The same would go for any other language, to include redneck gibberish and inner city ebonics. Every member of a unit has to have trust and faith in his fellow Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Marines, and carrying out "private" conversations in another language in the presence of those who don't know that language makes them wonder what you are trying to hide. That is not a recipe for unit cohesion.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    One time I was doing a BI in a barracks, a SSGT was yelling at a couple of PFC's for something or another. Yep that sure was a private conversationNormally I would not have been concerned or took notice, except for one problem, he was doing it in spanish. Kinda had a problem with that, especially given he was wearing the Stars and Stripes.<--------Stars and strips, son. United States Army. Should have been speaking English.

    Another time, our Fire Marshal got involved in the Court Marshal of a higher-end Sgt (cant remember exactly, maybe an SFC) who was using PW's to "encourage" his guys out of their racks in the morning, much to the Fire Department's disliking. They brought him up on court martial after the third time he got caught......Part of his defense was that he "did not understand the Fire Marshal, who should have explained it in Spanish."Yeah. That's BS.....It's a sad state of affairs when a criminal uses that as a defense. BTW he was found guilty and Court Martialed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
    Basically what FWD is trying to say is join the Air Force or Marines because there are more white people there.
    I've got some puerto rican blood, I speak spanish, and **** you for trying to say that that makes me less of an American. Never said it did, can you show me where I said that?I love how you get offended by a private conversation in Spanish, like its any of your business or theres something wrong with speaking spanish.I don't have a problem with people speaking spanish but when you are enlisted in the United States Army and wearing the Stars and Stripes on your shoulder, you should have enough respect to speak english. I'm willing to put my life on the line for this country, and calling it "the Mexican Army" because you dont think its white enough is a slap in the face to every latino person who serves.
    You want to know what's a slap in the face? The fact that I tried like hell, for over 11 years, to get hired by a major metropolitan fire department, but because I am a white/male/non-vet, I got passed over for minority races because there was a court order that they had to get hired over me. Yeah that's a slap in the face that stings hard, especially given that I moved into and lived in that waste of a City for 8+ years, had a car stolen, gave untold thousands in excessive taxes that I would not have had to given had I not lived there, and potentially gave up on a Firefighting job down south that I could have literally walked into, had I not had delusions of grandeur of getting hired onto a Fire Department where the only thing they care about is how many brothers and hispanics they can shove onto the job through the court order. Yeah, that stings a bit.

    It stings that there has to be a court order. But what stings worse is the fact that every time someone with white skin calls hispanics out on the carpet for something, you have to automatically label us racist. You sound like my Aunt, a devout diehard liberal- every time I complain about President Obama, she pulls the "you racist" card out of her sleeve. I don't care if the man is black, white, green, blue or red with yellow polka dots- HE SUCKS AS A PRESIDENT! It sucks that your race has to battle in court to get more of your kind hired....Why can't you just compete for the jobs like everyone else? Why does FDNY have to "dumb down" their written test? Why can't latinos and blacks and whites and everyone else just take the same ****ing test? Either you can read the damn thing or you can't. Why does FDNY have to "dumb down" their physical agility test because some latino or black or woman couldnt do it? Do we really have to hire dumber, weaker people? Again I dont care if you are black, white, green, blue or red with yellow polka dots, if you can't pass the fooking test then you don't deserve to have the job. Yeah, that's a slap in the face, that hurts real bad. Am I a racist? No, not at all. I hate all minorities that take advantage of the system equally.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-28-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Awful thin skinned for a service member If you knew anything about the Marine Corps, you might know we have a large Hispanic population. Which is fine, as anyone who studies the subject knows they are disproportionately highly represented in the ranks of those who have been awarded our highest combat honors-Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, etc.

    However, we are talking here about the United States Armed Forces. If you want to walk around speaking Spanish all day to fellow service members, I suggest you join the military of a country where Spanish is the primary language. The same would go for any other language, to include redneck gibberish and inner city ebonics. Every member of a unit has to have trust and faith in his fellow Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Marines, and carrying out "private" conversations in another language in the presence of those who don't know that language makes them wonder what you are trying to hide. That is not a recipe for unit cohesion.
    Dittos to that. Same goes for displaying/flaunting foreign flags on post in barracks room or car windows/antenna. Intentional insults. Notice that the rest of the unit isn't speaking German, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, Yiddish, _____ ?

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Awful thin skinned for a service member If you knew anything about the Marine Corps, you might know we have a large Hispanic population. Which is fine, as anyone who studies the subject knows they are disproportionately highly represented in the ranks of those who have been awarded our highest combat honors-Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, etc.

    However, we are talking here about the United States Armed Forces. If you want to walk around speaking Spanish all day to fellow service members, I suggest you join the military of a country where Spanish is the primary language. The same would go for any other language, to include redneck gibberish and inner city ebonics. Every member of a unit has to have trust and faith in his fellow Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Marines, and carrying out "private" conversations in another language in the presence of those who don't know that language makes them wonder what you are trying to hide. That is not a recipe for unit cohesion.
    First of all I'm not a service member yet I'm just enlisting in the future. Anyways it's not really thinned skin, the way I look at it its like football, if my teammates are joking around and saying racial stuff its no big deal we're all friends, but if someone from another team says something it's completely different. Its ridiculous for a civilian to get ****ed at military personnel for speaking spanish in a conversation that didn't involve him. He wasn't even part of the unit, he was just civilian walking around and he gets ****ed that people he doesnt even know are speaking Spanish. If you speak Spanish in front of people in your unit who don't understand it that's one thing, but if everyone involved in the conversation speaks it I don't see the harm. And I don't see how you're gonna stop people from talking like rednecks or "ebonics", people talk how they talk. I think it's dumb you think people who speak Spanish are trying to hide something, like we're automatically suspect or something. I understand why you shouldn't speak it in a conversation where people are involved who don't speak spanish, but theres no reason spanish speaking soldiers shouldnt speak spanish amongst each other, aside from "Welcome to America now speak English" bull****.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Recommended Military Base Closings
    By CaptOldTimer in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
  2. Assistant Chief called to Active Duty
    By dmleblanc in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 03:01 PM
  3. Interview questions
    By GPM123 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:13 AM
  4. How ACTIVE are You?
    By 2young4duty in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2002, 08:29 PM
  5. For Active Duty volunteer FF/EMT's..
    By huff317 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2001, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register