Forum Member

Default Other new things @ fdic 2011

Okay Show us what else was new at FDIC. I had to re-certify my NYS Paramedic so I couldn't go. Pictures ladies and gentlemen we want pictures.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

None of these are my pictures, but here are some good shots and some additional info:

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/2011.../#comment-1595

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    Okay Show us what else was new at FDIC. I had to re-certify my NYS Paramedic so I couldn't go. Pictures ladies and gentlemen we want pictures.

Come over to www.firepics.net and join up and you'll get to see what was at the FDIC and more.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Things I liked were:
    1.) Newly revised compartmentation on the Sutphen SPH 100... it now has all kinds of room in its compartments.
    2.) The Sutphen Scene View pumper which is a top mount/side mount pump operation. Seems good for smaller, voluteer fire departments.
    3.) Sensible Products had a great new way to mount equipment in compartments by using a module design. I think they called it T mounts.
    4.) FRC had some neat new lighting options. Lots of LED choices from them now.
    5.) Headlights - I see that many manufacturers went away from the old sealed beam lights and now have a more automotive looking, clear glass headlight. This had a seperate bulb that you can swap out just like a car.
    6.) I believe it was Rosenbauer, but they had an interesting step/ladder set up that came out of the side of the truck. The only use I saw for it was re-packing hose.
    7.) Manufacturer unknown, but I saw a neat tool storage shelf that swung out of the compartment. Different than a pull out tray, but kind of like a lazy susan. I have no idea what weight it held, but nice concept.
    8.) ROM has some neat pull out trays that seem to work much easier than the Slidemaster units.
    9.) I had no idea how bad the door seal was on Spartan cabs. I have always heard of water leak issues on their doors, and now I saw why.
    10.) Pierce CF - I did not care for the new interior. Seemed like they fixed the space issue in the front by creating a space issue in the back for the crew. This may work for some departments though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    None of these are my pictures, but here are some good shots and some additional info:

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/2011.../#comment-1595
    Intersting one caption noted four FDNY apparatus including a 4 door Ford Chassis ambulance? I thought the four doors buses were going to be Dodges?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    Things I liked were:
    1.) Newly revised compartmentation on the Sutphen SPH 100... it now has all kinds of room in its compartments.
    2.) The Sutphen Scene View pumper which is a top mount/side mount pump operation. Seems good for smaller, voluteer fire departments.
    3.) Sensible Products had a great new way to mount equipment in compartments by using a module design. I think they called it T mounts.
    5.) Headlights - I see that many manufacturers went away from the old sealed beam lights and now have a more automotive looking, clear glass headlight. This had a seperate bulb that you can swap out just like a car.
    6.) I believe it was Rosenbauer, but they had an interesting step/ladder set up that came out of the side of the truck. The only use I saw for it was re-packing hose.
    7.) Manufacturer unknown, but I saw a neat tool storage shelf that swung out of the compartment. Different than a pull out tray, but kind of like a lazy susan. I have no idea what weight it held, but nice concept.
    8.) ROM has some neat pull out trays that seem to work much easier than the Slidemaster units.
    9.) I had no idea how bad the door seal was on Spartan cabs. I have always heard of water leak issues on their doors, and now I saw why.
    10.) Pierce CF - I did not care for the new interior. Seemed like they fixed the space issue in the front by creating a space issue in the back for the crew. This may work for some departments though.
    never thought spartan had a door seal issue. please elaborate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Intersting one caption noted four FDNY apparatus including a 4 door Ford Chassis ambulance? I thought the four doors buses were going to be Dodges?
    It is a Dodge. Photo by me:

As CaptOldTimer said, hundreds more images over at firepics.net.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Things I liked were:
    They've come out with new surface mount (1.25" deep) scene lights at 15k lumens, and a 2.5" front brow light using a universal mount that has 20k lumens (far more than the Whelen Pioneer Plus).

Here are the 15k lumen models mounted to a Will-Burt light tower.

Both ROM and On Scene Solutions pull out trays blow SlideMaster out of the water. I'd happily use either one.

Never heard a complaint about Spartan door seals??

I predict you'll see a lot of departments that feel like the minor space issue in the rear is far offset by the space gained in the front.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    never thought spartan had a door seal issue. please elaborate
    The department by me has a new Smeal with a Spartan cab that has water leak issues around the doors. I never looked at it until the show and saw what they use for sealing around the doors. I would rather that the cab door had a more positive sealing surface.
    Last edited by 93Cobra; 03-28-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Forum Member

Wow!!! ALF is still in the game and must be making some money to have a spot in the Lucas Stadium!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckGuy View Post
    Wow!!! ALF is still in the game and must be making some money to have a spot in the Lucas Stadium!
    Must not have signed the Do Not Resuscitate form.

Apparently Lynn still needs the write-offs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice list Cobra, thanks!

Anyone know were I can see this? Very interesting.

Forum Member

The department by me has a new Smeal with a Spartan cab that has water leak issues around the doors. I never looked at it until the show and saw what they use for sealing around the doors. I would rather that the cab door had a more positive sealing surface.
    Never seen or heard of any issues with the door seals leaking water. Not just on my 13, but others around me that have them.

And what "exactly" did you see that they used to seal the doors that you didn't like???

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Never seen or heard of any issues with the door seals leaking water. Not just on my 13, but others around me that have them.

And what "exactly" did you see that they used to seal the doors that you didn't like???

FM1
    They didn't say Stuphen anywhere on them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    Nice list Cobra, thanks!

Here is a copy of the spec sheet I picked up for this truck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

FM1
    The way the seal was set down inside the jamb creates problems for the door to seal to it. If the door is not adjusted dead on (latch to Nader pin), it creates a gap between the door and the seal and allows water into the cab. Other manufacturers have designs where this is much more forgiving. So far, the adjustments made on the Smeal truck by me have not fixed the issue - 1.5 yrs in service and still leaks.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    My photos of it...

I see the merits of the design, however, they only deliver a handful of these per year.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

The way the seal was set down inside the jamb creates problems for the door to seal to it. If the door is not adjusted dead on (latch to Nader pin), it creates a gap between the door and the seal and allows water into the cab. Other manufacturers have designs where this is much more forgiving. So far, the adjustments made on the Smeal truck by me have not fixed the issue - 1.5 yrs in service and still leaks.
    Maybe 1.5 yrs ago you should have contacted the mfr to get direction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    My photos of it...

I see the merits of the design, however, they only deliver a handful of these per year.
    A decent pump operator would have to climb up and down alot during a fire, ya know, to make/break connections, get equip out, help flake out hose, change bottles, etc. The climbing doesnt look firefighter freindly.

That style first appeared several years ago by Precision fire apparatus, who incidentaly, used supthen chassis.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    That style first appeared several years ago by Precision fire apparatus, who incidentaly, used supthen chassis.
    Yes, Sutphen will sell their chassis to select other manufacturers, including Precision, Rescue 1, and SVI.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    Maybe 1.5 yrs ago you should have contacted the mfr to get direction.
    Or maybe hired a tech to fix it then. If it's been that way for that long, that is THEIR fault, not Spartans.

Only door issues I've seen is the latch not catching the second catch. 5 minutes adjusting the Nader bolt, and its fixed. More than likely, this may be their problem on why it leaks water. Heck, even then, I've never gotten a complaint of anybody getting wet.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

My photos of it...

It appears that there may be some crosslays behind the red tarp just above the steps? I'd think this would result in a hoseline across the steps during operations? Given the limited space of the "ladder" I'd prefer a solution to that. Not too mention step on and off with your body sideways to the steps? Sort of unnatural?

MembersZone Subscriber

My photos of it...

It is a nice concept, but nothing new. General Safety did these as a "Safe Scene" many years ago, and Precision has done these for a long time as well (often using a Sutphen chassis). Isn't there even a PUC with this style of pump panel?

***Sorry, should have read all the posts before commenting. I see I'm saying the same thing as someone else...***
    Last edited by npfd801; 03-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Don't know what you're talking about. Door gaskets are pretty much the same across the board. We've got two Spartans and NO leaks. T.C.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    It is a nice concept, but nothing new. General Safety did these as a "Safe Scene" many years ago, and Precision has done these for a long time as well (often using a Sutphen chassis). Isn't there even a PUC with this style of pump panel?
    It's the concept of not having the pump operator straddling discharge hoses while pulling levers.
    Kinda like what you get with a top mount without all the dangers of gaining access to the pump panel.

We run top mounts on both our engines and it's nice to be up off the slop and not climbing over hoses to work. Plus it improves the operators view of the scene.

Thread Information