Thread: Hazmat Team

Forum Member

Default Hazmat Team

I was recently asked to look into joining our County Team. I took FF1 and there was a deent amount of Hazmat material we learned. I'm not comparing, just stating that that is where my interest began.
    Are there members on a hazmat team that can offer me advice or some pointers? Thanks fellas.

MembersZone Subscriber

What, if any, HazMat certs are you capable of getting/ are available to you?

You won't be getting in a suit and having fun/sweating your *** off until you get hazmat awareness, hazmat ops, and then hazmat tech, i think a combined 104 hours.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    What, if any, HazMat certs are you capable of getting/ are available to you?

You won't be getting in a suit and having fun/sweating your *** off until you get hazmat awareness, hazmat ops, and then hazmat tech, i think a combined 104 hours.
    For right now I have Hazmat 1st responder. Looking forward to future training.

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll need to get Awareness, ops, and technician if you plan to do offensive work or step foot in the hot zone. After, you can take more classes and specialize in a subject. I picked clandestine labs and it's somewhat of a 40 hour course. Hazmat is rarely fun and fast paced. Mid-July early august in a class a suit is absolute torture. It is a prerequisite for many USAR teams in my area though. It's a very interesting subject though. If you have any more questions, let me know.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Rice - look into workshops, and 'other' classes too such as Clandestine Drug Lab Operations etc.....if you check the NYS OFPC website you can look for the training schedule.....

I would try to take a varied number of courses too - don't overload youself on Haz-Mat either.....try to get a rounded training record - and as you gain experience you will find more and more training opportunities.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Rice - look into workshops, and 'other' classes too such as Clandestine Drug Lab Operations etc.....if you check the NYS OFPC website you can look for the training schedule.....

I would try to take a varied number of courses too - don't overload youself on Haz-Mat either.....try to get a rounded training record - and as you gain experience you will find more and more training opportunities.....
    Thanks a lot for all your help. I appreciate it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    You'll need to get Awareness, ops, and technician if you plan to do offensive work or step foot in the hot zone. After, you can take more classes and specialize in a subject. I picked clandestine labs and it's somewhat of a 40 hour course. Hazmat is rarely fun and fast paced. Mid-July early august in a class a suit is absolute torture. It is a prerequisite for many USAR teams in my area though. It's a very interesting subject though. If you have any more questions, let me know.
    Being a tech is a little ahead of me at this point. I'm taking so many training classes that I don't want to over do it, if I haven't already. Thanks for your help and all the info. I have always been interested in Hazmat, so when I was asked about it, it just seemed like the right thing for me. We have about 100-115 calls a year, so I could use the added action, lol.
    Last edited by Rice09; 04-07-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: .

Thread Information