+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Phoenix FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    My dad was 42 when he started the PHX academy.
    Hey Peterbound. Could you enable your PM's? Thanks, dude!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Hey Peterbound. Could you enable your PM's? Thanks, dude!
    done.. didn't know you needed to do that.

Forum Member

Hey peterbound,
    I guess I could change my name. I've had it for a long time. I've been out of the military for awhile now. Anyways, do you have any tips for me for the exam or interview, seeing that your dad is on already. My wife and I really want to move down to Phoenix due to family already living there and I really would like to get on with Phoenix. You can email me at my personal email alanairforce@yahoo.com.

Thanks Bro,
    Alan
    Last edited by airforcefiredawg; 04-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Forum Member

Alan, PM me if you have some questions.

Forum Member

I lived in the Phx / Scottsdale area for a while in my late teens and early 20s... (not that long ago), got married there and then moved away due to business opportunities I couldn't turn down. I've been dying to get back for a little bit now. All my and my wife's family is there and 4 y.o. nephew is going through the end of his cancer treatment which really makes me need to be there.

Getting on at PHX would be amazing and I'd be beside myself, although I do realize it'll super stiff competition. But man, what a great place to be able to work and a great dept.

Forum Member

My dad was 42 when he started the PHX academy.
    Your dad held the old record till a couple academies ago. That new oldest age is 51 or 52 I forgot what the gentlemen told me!! He would run circles around me and I am 36

Forum Member

Application process is open!!!! The listed job requirements include being a certified EMT by the state of Az. I live in Ca., does anyone know if hired out of staters get trained (or anyone without an EMT cert) or do you need to get this on your own?

Forum Member

i imagine you need it on your own by hire date.

Forum Member

check out: http://www.azdhs.gov/bems/emtcert.htm

There should be a section regarding out of state applicatoins for a temporary EMT Cert, you will need to take a refresher course to get permanent AZ EMT

Forum Member

Any Idea where to get the study packet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trufirenick View Post
    Any Idea where to get the study packet?
    its in the job announcement on the website

www.phoenix.gov/jobs/firesg.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    Application process is open!!!! The listed job requirements include being a certified EMT by the state of Az. I live in Ca., does anyone know if hired out of staters get trained (or anyone without an EMT cert) or do you need to get this on your own?
    Best I can tell from reading on the website and making a phone call or two....you MUST have your EMT cert by time of your second interview which is before you are hired. I'm from Ohio and looking in to the State of Arizona, they don't accept reciprocity from any other states...I believe they do accept National Registry however. If you have an out of state card you must take a 16 hour EMT refresher in Arizona and then apply for a temporary (2 year) EMT card. You can look at Arizona's department of public safety site for more information. Also you have to have your CPAT complete by time of second interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Best I can tell from reading on the website and making a phone call or two....you MUST have your EMT cert by time of your second interview which is before you are hired. I'm from Ohio and looking in to the State of Arizona, they don't accept reciprocity from any other states...I believe they do accept National Registry however. If you have an out of state card you must take a 16 hour EMT refresher in Arizona and then apply for a temporary (2 year) EMT card. You can look at Arizona's department of public safety site for more information. Also you have to have your CPAT complete by time of second interview.
    Thanks for the info, really appreciate it!

Forum Member

Apperently the CPAT is only good in PHX for 6 months? I thought they were good for a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Apperently the CPAT is only good in PHX for 6 months? I thought they were good for a year.
    That sounds correct, Peterbound. When I took my CPAT through NTN in January, the gentleman there told me that a lot of the departments in the Valley require a CPAT within six months of a final selection interview.

Also, I tried to send you a PM, but I am still unable to do so. There is no option for sending you a PM or email on your page.

Forum Member

anyone know if you have to have a backround check and finger prints sent off to the state for EMT cert?

Had to for colorado and it delayed getting my cert a little bit. Being I am coming from out of state figure thats something I should handle while I am there weither I do good or not on the test.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

MembersZone Subscriber

Before I moved here to Arizona, I was visiting last year and there was a job posting that I desperately wanted to apply for and had 2 days to do it. I had my buddy break in my house, fax me my birth certificate and ran down to the Arizona Dept. of Health and Trauma Services with that and my NREMT card, filled out their application, and they had my card the next day FOR FREE! it was a very painless process... they give u a 6 month temp card, then u have to take an AZ refresher course then turn in those CE's and then u get another 18 month tacked on to it...

Forum Member

Default study guide

did anyone happen to download the study guide? I didn't realize it was only available for the 5 days. If so can you please email it to me?

Thanks guys and gals!!
    Last edited by jveloz08; 04-10-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Word is about 8k-10k filed online applications. Obviously not everyone that applied will come out to test but I would guess at least 5K take the written.

Forum Member

I did the same thing. I didn't realize it wouldn't let you back in. If anyone has the study guide I'd really appreciate it if you could email it to me. Thanks a bunch.

Forum Member

@Chris ---That's one of the gambles the city is making with taking these grants. That's how they got the first one, was another city that recieved it, gave it back because they knew they couldn't afford to keep the new recruits after the 2 years and grant money was spent. Phoenix is in the same boat, but they're taking the gamble and hoping that the economy will make a turn for the better at that time and the city will be able to pick up the slack and continue to pay for the new recruits. This last class and even this upcoming academy in October, all have to sign a contract or an agreement saying that they understand their jobs are not gauranteed after two years.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a huge gamble, I mean they basically have to re-coup damn near 12 million to keep everyone they hire this year, is this really going to happen in 2 short years???

Forum Member

With that many potential test-takers, will it be spread over more than one day? Trying to figure out and budget for my trip...

Forum Member

Through friends and family that are with PFD, they really stress and take pride in how they take care of their members and how they're a family. They're not naive and they know the gamble they're making. I think no matter what the outcome, they'll work something out to take care of their own. They did it last time and I would be shocked to see if they didn't this time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information