Thread: Phoenix FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Any news on possible date for written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter973 View Post
    Any news on possible date for written?
    May 9th is what was on the application. As far as specific time and location, I am wondering that myself.

Forum Member

Nothing yet. We should be getting an email here pretty soon with the exact time. It'll most likely be done at the Phoenix Civic Center. That's where they did it last time and it's big enough to hold the 4,000 plus applicants. I was talking with a BC and he was telling me that as of Thursday they had just over 4,000 applied. It says that the time and location will be emailed no later then the 29th.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those looking for the study guide, try a quick google search. The guide is still available on the city's website as of this very moment.

Forum Member

Is this the correct study material?

http://www.phoenix.gov/jobs/firesg.pdf

Thanks, Joel

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    I was talking with a BC and he was telling me that as of Thursday they had just over 4,000 applied.
    man.... and how many are they taking again....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    man.... and how many are they taking again....
    about 1% of that...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by APhillipsLA View Post
    about 1% of that...
    So your telling me there's a chance....alright I gotcha...

Forum Member

So if they are hiring 42, isn't there technically a waiting list from the last test? Won't they just take those guys and then whoever does well on this upcoming test will be put on the new waiting list?? Just what I heard.

Forum Member

@FFSerio ----- They already hired those recruits from the last list with the first safer they received. The last academy just graduated 28 FF's. They did away with that list and this list will be good for 3 years. They're not anticipating another hiring until 2014. I just found out last night that the final number ended up at around 4,700 applicants that applied. They have 42 spots that need to be filled and 7 of those are already taken by red shirts. They'll hire 35 recruits and 7 new red shirts. May 9th is the test, June will be 1st round interviews, July will be the 2nd round interviews, candidates will be selected, backgrounds done, conditionally offered, and then the academy starts in October. Really fast process because of the time constraints they have with the SAFER grant.

Forum Member

Hope everyone's study sessions are going well. I've got a butt load of flash cards and still don't know if i've covered everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can someone explain what a "red shirt" is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Can someone explain what a "red shirt" is?
    During the hiring cycle they will bring guys onto the academy before they get a class date. They will be gophers for the A/C's and do various menial tasks.

They dont make much money.

Being that there was such a long break between hiring they still had a few red shirts on the books. They are getting those guys through.. and good for them too. They stuck it out when many a folk would have left.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

Just got my invite for the test. Says there will be approximatly 2000 people taking the test. Good luck finding parking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Just got my invite for the test. Says there will be approximatly 2000 people taking the test. Good luck finding parking.
    Did you get something in the mail or was it an email?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Did you get something in the mail or was it an email?
    It came via email

Forum Member

it was an email and i laughed when i saw the 2000 people, theres going be more than that unless there's another time (8:30).

Forum Member

I found out that they're sending out all the invitations starting today. It may take a few days to do so because of the 4800 applicants. They are breaking it into two testing sessions. A morning session for last names beginning with the letter A-K and an afternoon session of L-Z. That's the reason your invite stated there were 2,000 applicants testing. Civic centers large, but I don't know if it's large enough to hold over 4,000 and for them to monitor the testers.
    Last edited by krewmoney77; 04-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Member

Cool Kinda worried

Hi Guys,

I started stressing out the other day while reading the material for the test. When I applied online, I succesfully received the message on the screen confirming my application, I downloaded the SG, and everything was cool. Did any of you guys received the e-mail after succesfully applying online? I got the message on the screen but not the e-mail.

I've been waiting for the invite but nothing so far. I know we are supposed to wait till the 29th and after that we should contact recruitment if we haven't received that invite.

Just wondering again: did any of you received that e-mail after applying online?

Thank you guys!

Forum Member

@enginetercera --After you applied, you should have receieved an email from Phx HR(echrisnoreply@phoenix.gov) confirming they received your application. You can also go onto the HR website and check to make sure your application was applied and submitted correctly, or you could call them to find out. They said it's going to take a few days for all the invites to be emailed out. They're going out alphabetically, so that could possibly be the reason you haven't received it yet. My last name starts with "M" and I just barely got mine this morning. If you don't recieve it by the 29th, call 602-495-5703.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    @enginetercera --After you applied, you should have receieved an email from Phx HR(echrisnoreply@phoenix.gov) confirming they received your application. You can also go onto the HR website and check to make sure your application was applied and submitted correctly, or you could call them to find out. They said it's going to take a few days for all the invites to be emailed out. They're going out alphabetically, so that could possibly be the reason you haven't received it yet. My last name starts with "M" and I just barely got mine this morning. If you don't recieve it by the 29th, call 602-495-5703.
    Thanks krewmoney77!

I went online and even though I didn't received the e-mail it went completely through. Just as you said there will be two sessions. My last name starts with "O" so we will be on the afternoon testing.

This is a very competitive process, however, I look forward to start a career with the City of Phoenix. Now I truly understand why this is one of the leading emergency response agencies in America. They PFD Way and the organizational level is totally different; the best I've ever studied when compared to other large cities where I've applied before.

We are part of the thousands of applicants, however, studying all the material has really motivated me to go for it!

I wish everybody good luck. I am also testing my CPAT in Phoenix that week!

Forum Member

I got my email for the written test yesterday and included was a link to the study guide.

My test is at 2:30p, so I'm heading to Phoenix on Monday morning from either Las Vegas or Los Angeles and plan to return back to LA soon after the test is over. If anyone is travelling from Las Vegas or Los Angeles/OC and wants to hitch a ride and pitch in for gas let me know. If you travel from Vegas, you would need to find transportation back. Still not 100% on travel plans but willing to work it out...

Forum Member

I'll be testing 2:30 too. Got some info that they are really trying to speed up this process and have an academy by sept or october. It will be interesting to see how many actually show up to test.

Forum Member

Word is the academy starts October 3rd. This is the fastest its been because of the time constraints with the SAFER grant. June is 1st round oral boards and then July is 2nd round Chiefs oral boards. This is alot of studying! The packet and then along with the packet is the Professional Standards Guide.

Thread Information