Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoenix FD

anyone know if you have to have a backround check and finger prints sent off to the state for EMT cert?

Had to for colorado and it delayed getting my cert a little bit. Being I am coming from out of state figure thats something I should handle while I am there weither I do good or not on the test.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

MembersZone Subscriber

Before I moved here to Arizona, I was visiting last year and there was a job posting that I desperately wanted to apply for and had 2 days to do it. I had my buddy break in my house, fax me my birth certificate and ran down to the Arizona Dept. of Health and Trauma Services with that and my NREMT card, filled out their application, and they had my card the next day FOR FREE! it was a very painless process... they give u a 6 month temp card, then u have to take an AZ refresher course then turn in those CE's and then u get another 18 month tacked on to it...

Forum Member

Default study guide

did anyone happen to download the study guide? I didn't realize it was only available for the 5 days. If so can you please email it to me?

Thanks guys and gals!!
    Last edited by jveloz08; 04-10-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Word is about 8k-10k filed online applications. Obviously not everyone that applied will come out to test but I would guess at least 5K take the written.

Forum Member

I did the same thing. I didn't realize it wouldn't let you back in. If anyone has the study guide I'd really appreciate it if you could email it to me. Thanks a bunch.

Forum Member

@Chris ---That's one of the gambles the city is making with taking these grants. That's how they got the first one, was another city that recieved it, gave it back because they knew they couldn't afford to keep the new recruits after the 2 years and grant money was spent. Phoenix is in the same boat, but they're taking the gamble and hoping that the economy will make a turn for the better at that time and the city will be able to pick up the slack and continue to pay for the new recruits. This last class and even this upcoming academy in October, all have to sign a contract or an agreement saying that they understand their jobs are not gauranteed after two years.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a huge gamble, I mean they basically have to re-coup damn near 12 million to keep everyone they hire this year, is this really going to happen in 2 short years???

Forum Member

With that many potential test-takers, will it be spread over more than one day? Trying to figure out and budget for my trip...

Forum Member

Through friends and family that are with PFD, they really stress and take pride in how they take care of their members and how they're a family. They're not naive and they know the gamble they're making. I think no matter what the outcome, they'll work something out to take care of their own. They did it last time and I would be shocked to see if they didn't this time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any news on possible date for written?

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter973 View Post
    Any news on possible date for written?
    May 9th is what was on the application. As far as specific time and location, I am wondering that myself.

Forum Member

Nothing yet. We should be getting an email here pretty soon with the exact time. It'll most likely be done at the Phoenix Civic Center. That's where they did it last time and it's big enough to hold the 4,000 plus applicants. I was talking with a BC and he was telling me that as of Thursday they had just over 4,000 applied. It says that the time and location will be emailed no later then the 29th.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those looking for the study guide, try a quick google search. The guide is still available on the city's website as of this very moment.

Forum Member

Is this the correct study material?

http://www.phoenix.gov/jobs/firesg.pdf

Thanks, Joel

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    I was talking with a BC and he was telling me that as of Thursday they had just over 4,000 applied.
    man.... and how many are they taking again....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    man.... and how many are they taking again....
    about 1% of that...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by APhillipsLA View Post
    about 1% of that...
    So your telling me there's a chance....alright I gotcha...

Forum Member

So if they are hiring 42, isn't there technically a waiting list from the last test? Won't they just take those guys and then whoever does well on this upcoming test will be put on the new waiting list?? Just what I heard.

Forum Member

@FFSerio ----- They already hired those recruits from the last list with the first safer they received. The last academy just graduated 28 FF's. They did away with that list and this list will be good for 3 years. They're not anticipating another hiring until 2014. I just found out last night that the final number ended up at around 4,700 applicants that applied. They have 42 spots that need to be filled and 7 of those are already taken by red shirts. They'll hire 35 recruits and 7 new red shirts. May 9th is the test, June will be 1st round interviews, July will be the 2nd round interviews, candidates will be selected, backgrounds done, conditionally offered, and then the academy starts in October. Really fast process because of the time constraints they have with the SAFER grant.

Thread Information